Fuji X-Pro2 Settings

Steve Margulis

Name
Steve Margulis
I've had my X-Pro2 for a few weeks (new to Fuji) and I'm trying to find what workflow works for me. I'm so used to shooting RAW with Canon or Olympus, and then making adjustments in ACR and PS. But I find that Fuji jpegs are so good straight out of the camera, that maybe I can finally stop shooting RAW. Since I've had the camera, I've been applying Fuji film simulation to my RAW files through ACR, which is pretty good, but I don't think that these files look the same as when the film simulations are added in the camera. I'm sure Fuji is applying some magic in there. So I just switched to Fine jpeg and turned on Film Simulation bracketing with Provia, Velvia and Acros. I use Adobe bridge to view the images and ACR to crop if needed, and from ACR, I'm saving as best quality jpeg.

I'm curious to know what settings other X-Pro2 owners are using and their workflow to get the images into the world. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Welcome to Fuji :)

I don't have a XP2, so I really shouldn't suggest anything too robustly, but on previous generations of X cameras, the highlight and shadow tones are a popular choice to play with!

You can shoot raw and jpeg fine, then use the in camera raw convertor to make jpegs with different settings after the shot. For example you could shoot a velvia image but decide it's a bit too saturated, so you could re-process the shot in camera using a different film simulation, like CC or whatever.

You can also change the exspoure parameters (adding plus or minus EV values) or change the WB, as well as make changes to the sharpening values, noise reduction values and both shadow and highlight tone values

I'd recommend doing this, while you find out your preferred settings, because you can try many different combinations and find what it most pleasing to your eye.

Apologies if you knew all of this already!

Back