Fuji X-S20 and XF 8mm f/3.5 announced

I actually like that the X-S20 has the 26MP sensor, as that's a decent file size for me. Just seems really steep for the lens though. It's nice and ultra-wide, but even 599 seems like too much for a 3.5 prime. I'll be sticking with my 10-24, I reckon.

I will try the app for sure, the old one was fairly lackluster to say the very least. Of course I am also very interested in the lens since it was first mentioned, however it is much more expensive than I would've liked - I actually thought it would be somewhere around 450 to 500 USD. With the new price tag, I guess I'll wait for some deals or second hand options.

Not interested in the X-S20 at all.

I will try the app for sure, the old one was fairly lackluster to say the very least. Of course I am also very interested in the lens since it was first mentioned, however it is much more expensive than I would've liked - I actually thought it would be somewhere around 450 to 500 USD. With the new price tag, I guess I'll wait for some deals or second hand options.

Not interested in the X-S20 at all.
Price has put me off the lens as well. I should have a Laowa 9mm f/2.8 arriving tomorrow

I’m interested in the X-S20. For a few usage scenario’s I’m looking for a camera with more dynamic range then my current mu43.

There is a sale now for Nikon Z’s. Excellent camera and excellent pricing, and I was thus contemplating a Z6II. But FX, which is a bit too big and heavy for my kind of use. APS-C will just do fine.

Same for the X-H2, too big and heavy (very nice camera though). And currently more expensive then a Z6II

The X-T5, interesting, but I don’t care much for the classic/dials approach.

What I would like is for Nikon to introduce a Z60 with touchscreen and joy-stick focus selector and a Z-mount 16-80 F4. That would be an instant buy. A truly small, light and capable camera. Nikon however appears to be hell-bent on selling FX.

Seems now Fujifilm has introduced the Z60, or something like that.
I do have some doubts about Fujifilm zoom lenses though. The Nikon 16-80, paired with a dslr, was excellent. I have fond memories of that set-up. The Fujifilm zooms however don’t seem to be able match Nikon zooms (based on optical limits ao). I’m a bit wary of it.

Choices, choices. (or maybe it’s just GAS)

I once handled an XS-10 and liked it, BUT it doesn't have the electronic first curtain option. Does anybody know if the XS-20 features electronic first curtain?
It doesn't seem to be the case:
If you take a look at the technical specifications, you'll only find numbers for mechanical and electronic shutters, on other cameras which actually feature EFC, Fujifilm stated dedicated numbers for EFC.

Another interesting thing: The X-S20 features the Nostalgic Neg film simulation, although it still uses X-Trans IV - a while ago Fujifilm I've read Fujifilm stated Nostalgic Neg was specifically designed for X-Trans V and the latest GFX sensors, hence it won't come to X-Trans IV...

I’m interested in the X-S20. For a few usage scenario’s I’m looking for a camera with more dynamic range then my current mu43.

There is a sale now for Nikon Z’s. Excellent camera and excellent pricing, and I was thus contemplating a Z6II. But FX, which is a bit too big and heavy for my kind of use. APS-C will just do fine.

Same for the X-H2, too big and heavy (very nice camera though). And currently more expensive then a Z6II

The X-T5, interesting, but I don’t care much for the classic/dials approach.

What I would like is for Nikon to introduce a Z60 with touchscreen and joy-stick focus selector and a Z-mount 16-80 F4. That would be an instant buy. A truly small, light and capable camera. Nikon however appears to be hell-bent on selling FX.

Seems now Fujifilm has introduced the Z60, or something like that.
I do have some doubts about Fujifilm zoom lenses though. The Nikon 16-80, paired with a dslr, was excellent. I have fond memories of that set-up. The Fujifilm zooms however don’t seem to be able match Nikon zooms (based on optical limits ao). I’m a bit wary of it.

Choices, choices. (or maybe it’s just GAS)
For what it’s worth, you can set the X-T shutter dial to T and get the free-wheel shutter dial on back, and setting exposure comp dial to C gets you exposure comp on the front. Can make it behave much more like the custom dial setups.

If the XS-20 had weather sealing I'd be very interested. Unfortunately Fuji is never going to make a camera at this level with any kind of weather sealing.

I bought XS10 when it came out and it’s been my main camera ever since. It fits really well in my hand and I like the control layout. I don’t think the XS20 would be worth the upgrade for what I do, but I’ll be curious to see the reviews.

I bought XS10 when it came out and it’s been my main camera ever since. It fits really well in my hand and I like the control layout. I don’t think the XS20 would be worth the upgrade for what I do, but I’ll be curious to see the reviews.
Since it's the same sensor, it's definitely a tough sell as an upgrade. Yeah, newer processor and bigger battery and a touch more IBIS, but unless you find any of those particularly lacking, might as well stick with what you have.

I agree with Darmok, since it's also using X-Trans IV, you won't get any actual, real improvement in terms of image quality. The new processing engine is what might make a difference, in combination with the new battery you should be getting a significant upgrade in terms of battery life. Fujifilm states the X-S20 uses a similar AF system as the X-T5, so you'll get faster and more accurate AF performance as well as "AI" powered sibject recognition and tracking. They also claim of a slightly improved IBIS.

I think the X-S20 is a decent refresh of the predecessor, although it migzt not be enough for those owners to rush out and buy it. I think unless you are unhappy with AF performance and the not great battery performance really bothers you, there is no need to jump on the new camera. But again, one should wait for the reviews to emerge.

I agree with Darmok, since it's also using X-Trans IV, you won't get any actual, real improvement in terms of image quality. The new processing engine is what might make a difference, in combination with the new battery you should be getting a significant upgrade in terms of battery life. Fujifilm states the X-S20 uses a similar AF system as the X-T5, so you'll get faster and more accurate AF performance as well as "AI" powered sibject recognition and tracking. They also claim of a slightly improved IBIS.

I think the X-S20 is a decent refresh of the predecessor, although it migzt not be enough for those owners to rush out and buy it. I think unless you are unhappy with AF performance and the not great battery performance really bothers you, there is no need to jump on the new camera. But again, one should wait for the reviews to emerge.
At $1300 for the XS20, it’s tempting just to get the XT5. Of course, since I don’t do video that also makes some of the better improvements irrelevant for me.

At $1300 for the XS20, it’s tempting just to get the XT5. Of course, since I don’t do video that also makes some of the better improvements irrelevant for me.
Yeah, Fuji really hiked the pricing this round. The X-S10 started at $999. 3 years later, same sensor, $300 more. I guess they're really hoping to grab the video folks. The older sensor is plenty for 4k.

X-S10 owner and, even though I'm not in the market for a replacement, I can't help feeling the X-S20 is a very underwhelming update. If it were selling for the same price maybe it might make sense, and maybe the video related upgrades have some value for video users, but for a stills photographer the relatively limited upgrade combined with the 30% price hike aren't exactly compelling. With the price hike and the X-E4 discontinued this only leaves the X-T30ii (only a minor update of the X-T30 from 2019) in the sub $1000 bracket. I'm not sure I like the way Fujifilm is heading.

Back