Fuji X-T1 - Buy now or later?

GeraldH

Rookie
I have an X-E1 and have been considering buying an X-T1.

Second hand X-T1 prices (UK) are still quite high.

My question is should I bite the bullet and buy an X-T1 now or wait for the X-T2 and potentially lower X-T1 prices?

GeraldH

Gerald, this is one of those impossible questions. Fact is that if you buy now you will have a good camera now. If you wait, you will still have a good camera but you will have it a little later and possibly a little cheaper. There is a cost to waiting, in terms of your photography, and a value to waiting - potentially - in terms of your bank balance. Only you can decide which is the most important to you.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you look at the way used X-Pro1 prices behaved when the X-Pro2 came out; I think you will find that they dipped only slightly but stayed pretty well as they are.

Unless your X-E1 is failing you, I wouldn't be in a rush. I would patiently watch the classifieds and wait for the right deal to come along. There will definitely be more used ones available when the X-T2 comes out. And at that point sellers need to compete with each other for your business.

X-E1 seems fine but low light focusing is an issue, I also have an X-A1 which seems to find focus much easier.

X-E1 picked up for a very reasonable price, have seen some go for very little lately.

Will bide my time I think. It's surprising how on eBay the word "mint" is applied to some distinctly non-mint items! :-D

GeraldH

Bill said everything I would say. The one thing I can add is to also watch amazon warehouse deals. I bought both of my Pro2's that way and saved a good amount of money.

No idea. I imagine it depends on why they are being sold as refurbs. I suspect many are ex-demo, or returned for some minor problem that is rectified before being resold. My X-Pro1 is a refurb, and apart from being shipped in a generic box, was as new, complete and perfect.

Purchased a used XT-1 about a month ago, and glad I did as it is a very different camera to my XE-1 body. Also purchased the 100-400mm lens. Out and about having fun with this combo.......the beach would be good this morning

Over here, the current cashback and double zoom deals run until end of August, so I reckon it's either now or never. The T1 can't really go below the price of the T10, anyway.

Of course, the real question is: Why buy a new X-T1 now, when the much improved successor is just a few months away. Money? Well, sure, but what about value?

Over here, the current cashback and double zoom deals run until end of August, so I reckon it's either now or never. The T1 can't really go below the price of the T10, anyway.

Of course, the real question is: Why buy a new X-T1 now, when the much improved successor is just a few months away. Money? Well, sure, but what about value?
Well, my own personal reason is that I shoot raw and use LR to process the images. I do not like the way Adobe are going with subscriptions so have no intention of ever upgrading from LR5. Don't want to get into an Adobe discussion but that is my reasoning behind going for an X-T1, it's the best camera supported by the software I have.

GeraldH

LR 5 doesn't support X-Trans properly, anyway, so I'd never use that version with any Fujifilm camera. Weird thinking (upgrading LR 5 to LR 6 costs only $79, after all), but good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
LR 5 doesn't support X-Trans properly, anyway, so I'd never use that version with any Fujifilm camera. Weird thinking (upgrading LR 5 to LR 6 costs only $79, after all), but good luck!
I did that, it's a long and boring story that I don't really want to debate on this thread. I'm knocking on a bit, reckon an X-T1 will see me out just fine. :)

GeraldH

Back