Fuji X-T1 First Look follow-up questions

jogomu

Rookie
Hello,

Can you comment on the shutter noise compared to the X-E2 and X100s?

I am hopeful that one of these days a Fuji ILC will be substantially quieter, and therefore useful in settings where I currently must us the X100s or one of the Sigma DPs.

Thanks!

Rico,

Thanks for the preview! Did you happen to try the Predictive AF tracking with any lens other than the 56mm? I'm wondering if the performance you experienced would differ with the other Fuji lenses (e.g., the older ones like the 35mm or 60mm)

Rico, thanks for fielding some questions.

I believe one of my questions is the same as what Phil is asking:
(1) What exactly does the Focus Assist button do? Does it simply activate the AF assist lamp? Is it usable for focus peaking? Is this button customizable?

View attachment 3140

(2) In your first look, you mentioned "the front command dial takes care of fine-tuning shutter speed" after you've set the shutter speed dial. But can you continue to turn the digital dial to move it to a shutter speed other than the one indicated on the analog dial? Do you find this dial + fine-tuning approach to be at all confusing or inefficient?

Attachments

• Fuji X-T1_rear-4.jpg
    Fuji X-T1_rear-4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,287
Rico, thanks for the thorough first look!

In addition to the questions Ulysses mentioned above, can you give a subjective response to how the AF speed compares to the X100S? Is it about the same or does the improved processing power translate to faster AF too? It's not a deal breaker for me either way, but improved AF speed would be a major bonus.

Especially improved speed with accuracy at low light.

Also, is it possible to control ISO with the front or rear dial (instead of the top mount dedicated ISO dial)? I love the "look" of top mount ISO dials, but find it easier to do so on the front or rear dials.

Rico,

Thanks for the preview! Did you happen to try the Predictive AF tracking with any lens other than the 56mm? I'm wondering if the performance you experienced would differ with the other Fuji lenses (e.g., the older ones like the 35mm or 60mm)

I also tried the 55-200 zoom. It worked.

(2) In your first look, you mentioned "the front command dial takes care of fine-tuning shutter speed" after you've set the shutter speed dial. But can you continue to turn the digital dial to move it to a shutter speed other than the one indicated on the analog dial? Do you find this dial + fine-tuning approach to be at all confusing or inefficient?

It's the same function as in the other X cameras, so I find it consistent.

Rico, thanks for the thorough first look!

In addition to the questions Ulysses mentioned above, can you give a subjective response to how the AF speed compares to the X100S? Is it about the same or does the improved processing power translate to faster AF too? It's not a deal breaker for me either way, but improved AF speed would be a major bonus.

X100S has a rather slow lens and no tracking, so the T1 is a different beast. Fuji optimized the AF frames in the X-E2 and XQ1 and X-T1, from rectangular to square.

Especially improved speed with accuracy at low light.

Also, is it possible to control ISO with the front or rear dial (instead of the top mount dedicated ISO dial)? I love the "look" of top mount ISO dials, but find it easier to do so on the front or rear dials.

Nah, you have to use the darn manual ISO dial. I'd like the ISO A setting to lead to a full ISO menu with all the options found in previous X cameras.

You can track even in MF mode. Just make sure to set focus priority to enhance the chances of a crisp result.

Thanks. I shoot cyclocross racing where the action is fairly predictable (in fact I shot the world championships in Louisville last year with m43 gear and MF glass). The action isn't slow, but its not Formula 1 either. I'll be interested to see what reports are given as to how the X-T1 handles this type of situation. I'd love to dump my FF Canon gear for something smaller, lighter and more fun to shoot with.

Thanks. I shoot cyclocross racing where the action is fairly predictable (in fact I shot the world championships in Louisville last year with m43 gear and MF glass). The action isn't slow, but its not Formula 1 either. I'll be interested to see what reports are given as to how the X-T1 handles this type of situation. I'd love to dump my FF Canon gear for something smaller, lighter and more fun to shoot with.

Sounds doable to me.

Rico,

Would you speak to using Fuji's Remote Camera app specifically in manual shooting mode? Are we limited to the shutter speed setting we set on the dial when going to manual mode or does the app allow us to electronically set the speed regardless of dial setting? If electronically set what is the range? Do we have a full 1/4000 - 30 secs range? Can we extend that into Bulb control for a multi-minute exposure?

Same set of questions would apply for aperture control when using a Fuji lens with aperture ring(camera still in set to manual mode). Does the app electronically override the aperture set on the lens?

Trying to get a feel for how much hands-free control we might have when shooting long-exposure brackets (HDRi). Specifically, can we perhaps manually take a shot at 20 secs (T mode) and the next shot at 40 secs (B mode) w/o having to touch the camera?

Finally, are we seeing a live view on the remote device display when using the app? Any way to simulate a 1/2 press of the shutter release to see DOF?

Thanks for your time and great efforts - my pre-order has been made via your site. ;o)

Back