Fuji X-T1 Light Leak and Fix

bigpigbig

Over at Fuji Rumors, I read this:

"Fuji knows about the issue, and a service directive has been in place for several weeks. It’s an easy fix.”

Do we need to send it in, or will they send us the "fix"?

Thanks.

Do you know if it is the port itself or the gap between the port and the body that is allowing light in?

If it is the later, I'll use black silicone and fix it myself.

I reckon it's the port.

My temporary X-T1 that arrived yesterday exhibits the leak, but since I will soon return it, anyway, I'm not concerned. Another X-T1 of mine is currently undergoing service (broken thumb dial & hot pixels), I asked them to also fix the light leak in the process (if it's even there in this particular sample).

If you are affected, you should ask Fuji to fix it.

Well that's disappointing to hear, as I am likely to use long exposures for landscapes.

Rico, is there more info anywhere? I checked fujirumors and didn't see much more info. Do we know if this affects all X-T1s, and/or has production been updated so newer units won't face the same issue?

I'd dislike getting a new camera only to immediately have to send it in for service, be nice if it's avoidable.

From reading other forums, apparently the light leak is coming from the mic port. The USB and HDMI ports seem light tight. A simple fix until Fuji comes out with an official fix is to just put a small piece of electrical tape over the mic port. You could also buy a 3.5mm audio plug from Radio Shack and insert it in the mic port when making long exposures with the door open.

Sounds like it's very easy to deal with if you have it and don't want to send it in. If you want to use a remove, stick a piece of dark tape over the mic input. Or just use the wifi app and leave the door closed. But for resale down the road, probably better to be able to say it's a non-issue. I haven't checked mine, but probably will when I get back home and, if it's an issue, I'll send it across the river to NJ...

-Ray

How does a weather sealed body have a light leak? This is disturbing indeed if not properly explained. Clear gaskets on the ports? Sounds very odd to me.

I'll amend that objection a bit as I've read about the problem and it's only there when the flap to the jacks is open. That flap is part of the weather sealing. Still not great, but not the awful problem I was thinking it was.

Sounds like it's very easy to deal with if you have it and don't want to send it in. If you want to use a remove, stick a piece of dark tape over the mic input. Or just use the wifi app and leave the door closed. But for resale down the road, probably better to be able to say it's a non-issue. I haven't checked mine, but probably will when I get back home and, if it's an issue, I'll send it across the river to NJ...

-Ray

Yep, better have it fixed if it affects your camera.

Mine is already undergoing service, I'll report back when I have it back, so I can see if the issue has disappeared.

As you and I said, it's an easy fix.

Obviously, it only affects users taking very long exposures during daylight with a tethered remote and the jack door open.

Mine is already undergoing service, I'll report back when I have it back, so I can see if the issue has disappeared.

Obviously, it only affects users taking very long exposures during daylight with a tethered remote and the jack door open.

I have yet to see an example where an actual photo was ruined. Everything I see and read is when there is a high powered flashlight pointed into the port, in total darkness and exposures taken with the lens cap on...

I'll be damned - just checked mine and there was nothing different on the rear screen with the light shining in the ports or not, or in through the AF assist lamp, which has also been reported. I just assumed most or all had it, but I guess it might have just been one small part of a production run?? Pretty pleasantly surprised - I was expecting to have to send mine in... Maybe I'm lucky - my X100 never had sticky blade problems either. My first X10 definitely made impressive orbs, but that wasn't a production problem - that was ALL of those cameras until they did whatever they did to the sensor...

-Ray

i haven't read anything about through the af assist lamp, yet. it makes me wonder just how weather-resistant this thing is.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Light Leak through focus assist lamp port: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I think something like the assist lamp could let light in without letting water or dust in, and the side ports aren't weather sealed with the door open. I did a fair amount of shooting in light to medium rain with non-sealed lenses in San Francisco last week and didn't have any issues. I think light leakage is a very different thing than weather sealing problems...

-Ray

Service Return Steps

flysurfer,

I've never dealt with Fuji repair before, what are the steps for getting back to them for fix?

Call, email, website, etc.

Thanks.

flysurfer,

I've never dealt with Fuji repair before, what are the steps for getting back to them for fix?

Call, email, website, etc.

Thanks.
I'm not Rico, but I've dealt with them. In the States, just find the number on the website for their New Jersey offices, where the repair center is located. And just give 'em a call. I've always found them really easy to work with and they'll process whatever they need to, give you the information about where and who to send it to and get you underway. The one time I had to send something in I had it back in a matter of a few days. Of course I'm just across the river from them in PA, so shipping was probably particularly quick, but it shouldn't make that much difference...

-Ray

i've had the first kit lens have warranty work done. the NJ office forwarded me to a miami location. it was weird - everyone spoke spanish and it was as if i was dealing with a mom & pop's shop. i did get the lens back, eventually. the sticker on the front bezel (didn't realize it was just a sticker) wasn't even laid on all the way. i was able to straighten it and apply it, fully. then i wiped all the fingerprints off it.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Back