Fuji X-T1 Light Leak and Fix

Bummer. Is there a service advisory for that as well? And/or a way to tell if your specific unit is affected?

Would it be advisable to simply send in the grip with the camera if you have both and need to get the light leak/control pad issues fixed?

Not officially, maybe at a later point. As you can imagine, I investigated it, anyway, as part of doing my "X-Pert" homework.

My advice? Stay cool, have it repaired if it breaks. Light leakers will get new dials, anyway. I still have a vertical grip here that might eventually break. No big deal, as all 4 dials (camera + grip) are pretty much redundant and can be switched in the menu. So it's not like the camera would become unusable when a dial breaks.

Not officially, maybe at a later point. As you can imagine, I investigated it, anyway, as part of doing my "X-Pert" homework.

My advice? Stay cool, have it repaired if it breaks. Light leakers will get new dials, anyway. I still have a vertical grip here that might eventually break. No big deal, as all 4 dials (camera + grip) are pretty much redundant and can be switched in the menu. So it's not like the camera would become unusable when a dial breaks.

Thanks Rico for the info once again. You are an awesome resource for us Fuji users!

I just got my FEDEX return shipping label from the Fujifilm NA Edison, NJ service facility. Mine is going in as it's serial number is pretty much in th middle of the range, and I confirmed the flare effect failure mode when the port door is open tonight.

It will be shipped out Monday.

And mine is barely inside it (by 26), but I checked and couldn't produce any sort of flair on the screen no matter how I tried...

I'm not sending it in - as far as I'm concerned, it's been checked and cleared...

-Ray

Ray, just a heads-up: the failure mode may not manifest itself just on the screen; mine didn't either, but it was clearly visible in the image that was captured during a 30 sec exposure. If you ever sell the camera, you may want some documentation from Fuji that the failure mode has serviced and rectified. Just my 2¢.

Cheers,
Stephen

Ray, just a heads-up: the failure mode may not manifest itself just on the screen; mine didn't either, but it was clearly visible in the image that was captured during a 30 sec exposure. If you ever sell the camera, you may want some documentation from Fuji that the failure mode has serviced and rectified. Just my 2¢.

Cheers,
Stephen

Thanks. I'm gonna call 'em and send it in at some point. For the combination of being able to claim it's been checked out and fixed (if needed) for eventual resale purposes, and on the chance that they really do improve the rear four way controller. I may wait for the rush they're probably having now to die down a bit since I'm not personally bothered by it...

-Ray

I'd sent my XT1 in a few weeks ago for the light leak fix and when I got it back, it had dust or possibly scratches on the sensor that was imperious to any cleaning method I tried. I assumed it was dust between the glass and sensor, but it could have been a couple of scratches. But they were large enough to clearly see with a sensor loupe and it showed up on any shots with sky in that part of the sensor. And they definitely hadn't been there BEFORE I sent it in.

So I called Fuji USA, they said send it back in and they'd expedite it for me. They got it last Thursday morning (pretty early according to Fed Ex) and by Thursday evening I had a notice that it had shipped back out to me. I got it this morning and damned if they didn't send me a new (or perhaps fully refurbished?) XT1... In addition to a clean sensor, it also has much more workable buttons on the back of the camera (not to the level of the XE2, but notably better) and I can actually work the exposure comp dial with just my thumb, which I absolutely could not do with the first copy.

The quality control problems are a drag, but I'm again impressed with Fuji's customer service. I've dealt with them before and they've always been great and this is certainly no exception. Unfortunately, they seem to NEED to be pretty often. I lost the soft release (adhesive type) and screen protector I had on the one I sent them, but I got a new camera with a much higher serial number.

I hope this one works out!

-Ray

i knew it wasn't just me. and my earlier x-t1's d-pad was seriously more problematic. i sent it in almost a couple weeks ago. i hope they can do something about it.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I'd sent my XT1 in a few weeks ago for the light leak fix and when I got it back, it had dust or possibly scratches on the sensor that was imperious to any cleaning method I tried. I assumed it was dust between the glass and sensor, but it could have been a couple of scratches. But they were large enough to clearly see with a sensor loupe and it showed up on any shots with sky in that part of the sensor. And they definitely hadn't been there BEFORE I sent it in.

Yuck... well that's not encouraging Ray. I'm glad they replaced it for you but needing two attempts to get it right is not good.

At this rate I may wait until I have a second X system body available before I try sending in my X-T1, just in case it takes a while or there are any issues.

Forgot to post, but I got my X-T1 back with a new screen last week.
Totally forgot to check out the buttons when I got it back, I was just so happy with the new screen!

Took my camera out this weekend for an engagment session and was pleasnetly suprised with the better (more tactile feedback) buttons!

i can't help but wonder what it is they're doing that's improving the buttons when that's not even the reason these bodies are being sent in for. i wonder if pieces were put together incorrectly during production process.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

i can't help but wonder what it is they're doing that's improving the buttons when that's not even the reason these bodies are being sent in for. i wonder if pieces were put together incorrectly during production process.(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

It might be? Even on the paper that they write what has been done no mention of button fix.
The repair tech just scribbeld new screen + light leak fix. That's all, but the buttons feel better for sure.

When I sent mine in I received back a different camera as well, so I called. They do not have any refurbished cameras at this point so anything you get back from them is a new camera. Enjoy

Fuji rep told me that you get the camera you send in, even before I cracked my screen.

Fuji rep told me that you get the camera you send in, even before I cracked my screen.

When I sent mine in for the light leak repair, I got the same camera back. For the sensor problem, though, they definitely sent me a new one. In addition to not having the soft release and screen protector that had been on my first one, it has a new serial number, which is noted on the paperwork, although they didn't explicity state they'd sent a new camera. There's some weird four letter code though, so it might somehow indicate that they'd just sent a replacement unit.

-Ray

Back