Fuji X-T1 or X-Pro1 at half price?

After some disappointment with m4/3 and the OM-D E-M5 I am looking for a new camera and stumbled across the Fuji system. The cameras look awesome but I don´t know how they handle (no stores around here). Today I can get the X-T1 which seems to be top of the line or the X-Pro1 at half the price of X-T1. Is that a good option or is the X-Pro1 considerable more cumbersome to use than the X-T1? I am not so concerned about the X-Pro1 being replaced as the new camera probably would sell for the same price as the X-T1 does today, and that is just too much to spend on a system I haven´t tried. What is your advice?

Welcome to the forum. Put simply, do you prefer a "rangefinder" form factor, with the viewfinder on the left, or "SLR" with it in the centre? When it comes down to it, that is the main difference. From personal experience - I have both - if you mostly use primes, I would advocate the X-Pro, if zooms, the X-T1.

Welcome to the forum. Put simply, do you prefer a "rangefinder" form factor, with the viewfinder on the left, or "SLR" with it in the centre? When it comes down to it, that is the main difference. From personal experience - I have both - if you mostly use primes, I would advocate the X-Pro, if zooms, the X-T1.

Good question. I never had a rangefinder type of camera before, but I don´t think it would be a problem - in fact I am very attracted to the OVF (don´t like EVFs but I HATE live view shooting). The current deal is with the X-Pro1, a case and the 18mm F2. Perhaps not the best lens but I will go only with primes. I am a bit concerned about the lack of telelenses on the system as a whole, love my 75 mm on the micro 4/3ds system - but that is another topic :)

I would buy the Fuji (either) for the robustness over the EM5, dials and bigger sensor (aka much better IQ at high iso). The OVF is a serious temptation and the added dial for iso control on T1 is another goodie.

I know the imaging processes and the sensors are the same or about the same. Are there any huge drawbacks with the AF on the X-Pro1 vs the X-T?

Re. AF speed... I would say it is slightly slower in "test" conditions but fully usable in real world use, if that makes sense? It depends how you personally like to work, of course, but I prefer the X-Pro myself.

As far as the 75mm on m43, Fuji is supposed to be releasing a 90mm (68mm equiv. in m43 terms) soon. So while not quite the same focal length, it gives you a longer prime. If you are thinking of trying the system, have you thought of an X-E1 or 2? They are the same or cheaper than a X-Pro, the E2 has almost as many goodies as the T1 for far less (not weathersealed). The XPro is the only one with an OVF. Be aware, the OVF only works with native lenses (a concern if you shoot legacy glass). The X-Pro is slightly larger than the XE (XE without grip is slightly thinner than my Pana. G3, with Fuji grip slightly thicker). Hope this helps.

It depends how you see the world. Many will swear by a 23mm (35mm equivalent) field of view, others by 35 (50mm equiv.) 56 is a fast, short tele (85mm equiv.) so unless creamy bokeh portraiture is your thing, not an ideal second lens. I'd familiarise yourself with the kit lenses before considering the next one.

It depends how you see the world. Many will swear by a 23mm (35mm equivalent) field of view, others by 35 (50mm equiv.) 56 is a fast, short tele (85mm equiv.) so unless creamy bokeh portraiture is your thing, not an ideal second lens. I'd familiarise yourself with the kit lenses before considering the next one.

I was referring more to the picture quality of the lenses than focal lengths. From my understanding the 23 and 56 are the sharper primes in the Fuji line? Anyway, the lenses are for later :) It is an incredibly though decision to commit to a new system, particularly because I still have the 75 1.8 and the Oly 12-40 f2.8 (both of which I love) from the M4/3 left. I have been very impressed with the jpegs from Fuji and are attracted to the looks (yeah I know, but it counts!) and the X-pro1´s OVF. Scared of the rumoured quirks and the lack of tele (m4/3 have 40-150 and soon a 300 f4). I guess I never know unless I try and most people seem to favour the "half-priced" X-Pro1 over the X-T1 (which makes sense). Thanks for many helpful posts!!

Ah I see. Yes, none of the primes are slouches but the 23, 35 and 56 are stand-out.

So, The Fuji jpegs are about as good as it gets in APS-C. I shoot raw+jpeg but rarely use the raw files because I simply don't need to. What "quirks" are you concerned about?

I get the point about the lack of tele - I've written about it here: http://macfilos.com/photo/2014/11/5/samyang-300mm-and-other-long-choices-for-fuji-x-series There is a "superzoom" on the roadmap, but until it arrives you will have to go legacy, as I have, or be content with the 55-200 or the 55-230 (I have the former). A reach of 300mm-ish is not that much, but it is good enough for airshows and the like:
34659639.70eb38ed.1024.jpg

Wings and Wheels Dunsfold August 2014 X-T1 Spitfire Mk IXB Mustang P51D 6 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

Personally, I am holding out hope for a 1.4x teleconverter - Olympus did a very good one for 4/3 so we know it can be done...

Ah I see. Yes, none of the primes are slouches but the 23, 35 and 56 are stand-out.

So, The Fuji jpegs are about as good as it gets in APS-C. I shoot raw+jpeg but rarely use the raw files because I simply don't need to. What "quirks" are you concerned about?

I get the point about the lack of tele - I've written about it here: http://macfilos.com/photo/2014/11/5/samyang-300mm-and-other-long-choices-for-fuji-x-series There is a "superzoom" on the roadmap, but until it arrives you will have to go legacy, as I have, or be content with the 55-200 or the 55-230 (I have the former). A reach of 300mm-ish is not that much, but it is good enough for airshows and the like:
34659639.70eb38ed.1024.jpg

Wings and Wheels Dunsfold August 2014 X-T1 Spitfire Mk IXB Mustang P51D 6 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

Personally, I am holding out hope for a 1.4x teleconverter - Olympus did a very good one for 4/3 so we know it can be done...

Great shot! I am a jpeg shooter so the capacity to Fuji suits me well.

Telephoto is not my main form of shooting - at least not at 300mm! Haven´t had a lense in that range since my Cannon 100-400L and the olympus 300 f4 may be to expensive for me right now, but I love to have the opportunity to get a good tele. The 90 will go a long way of replacing my 75 but it will have to be insanely good to beat the 75 (about the sharpest lens there is, regardless of systems). Usually tele-zooms gets to soft on the far end. Don´t know about the Fujis, but rest assured I will not buy the x-system for tele.

About the quirks, it may just be a imaginary problem but I read things like slow AF (I know it has been firmwared now) and problems with moving AF points (no direct access). I feel some will turn out not to be an issue, but Fuji still has a "reputation" as a bit difficult to operate. At least that is my perception of it, but then again if someone would have warned me about the OM-5´s issues (falling off eyecups, dials turns like crazy for nothing, AF point jumps all over the place) it would have been nice. These things is probably something one has to experience for one-self.

Sure got some food for thought, the X-Pro1 seems like a good deal now with the 35 F2 and would allow me to check out the system for a relatively low cost (no used offerings here ATM). I need to sleep on it - I like the pics of EM-5 but the out of focus areas are quite grainy...

You seem to have both the X_pro1 and the X-T1, do you ever pick up the pro over the Xt-1?

The X-Pro1 and the 35mm were made for each other (it's f1.4 BTW, not f2.0). Firmware upgrades have transformed handling and both camera and lens performance, particularly in the AF department. Fuji has a well-earned reputation for significantly improving even their older and discontinued cameras and that is what is making the X-Pro a bit of a steal at the moment. I find the Fuji X-Series pretty intuitive to operate (I've never opened an instruction book) and - with the exception of the X100 series which for some reason I find hard to master - logical and straightforward. I love knobs and dials for the primary controls (albeit they all turn on in your bag, and reset their exposure compensation while your back is turned...) but otherwise they are - in my opinion - about as good as it gets. I migrated to Fuji X from Leica (mostly M) and Nikon and haven't looked back.

You are right - I do have both the X-Pro and the X-T and to be honest usage is 85% X-Pro and 15% X-T. I only use the X-T when it's strengths come to the fore; tele, macro, zoom, and dust and water resistance. Otherwise it's the X-Pro and a bag of primes for me, most of the time.

After some disappointment with m4/3 and the OM-D E-M5 I am looking for a new camera and stumbled across the Fuji system. The cameras look awesome but I don´t know how they handle (no stores around here). Today I can get the X-T1 which seems to be top of the line or the X-Pro1 at half the price of X-T1. Is that a good option or is the X-Pro1 considerable more cumbersome to use than the X-T1? I am not so concerned about the X-Pro1 being replaced as the new camera probably would sell for the same price as the X-T1 does today, and that is just too much to spend on a system I haven´t tried. What is your advice?

if you can spring for the X-T1, I would advise to go with that one. The AF speed is much better and so are all the other features than the X-Pro1.

Just gonna touch on what Bill mentioned

I’ve had my XP-1 since its release, newer X models have been released since then (XE 1 & 2, XA, XM, XT) but I just kept on using my XP because it does what I require of it and then some. I’m also a big fan of the OVF (nothing wrong with the EVF, and I’ve seen the EVF on the XT and it is just amazing) just my personal preference. But I’m not going to say that the XP is the be all and end all, if I was going shoot tele, macro, or need something for really a rugged environment, then I’d probably pick up an XT. However, I don’t shoot macro, or tele and I’d probably run out of breath just thinking of hiking through rugged terrain, so WS isn’t really a deal breaker for me.

The same can be said with your lens choices. The 35mm 1.4 is permanently glued to my camera, I tried the 23 really nice lens, but I’m just really not used to the focal length. I agree that the 35mm and the XP-1 are made for each other.

As for the focusing speed, this is another kettle of fish entirely……

The XP-1 has had a bad rep regarding its focusing speed. When it was released a lot of people complained that it was sluggish ( I never really had a problem with it, then again I don’t shoot sports, and I tend to take my time when I shoot, so to each their own) and for many the slow focusing speed for the top of the range model is simply disappointing. However Fuji has released one firmware upgrade after another to address this issue. The amount of times Fuji releases firmware upgrades to further improve their product is probably the envy of every other photographer who doesn’t shoot with a Fuji.

The XP-1 is a totally different beast now with all the firmware upgrades, it’s almost a different camera from when it was released.
However, technology is getting better everyday, and that heralds in new designs. The XP-1 was Fuji’s early X-trans sensor model, and newer models have been released since then, with the latest being the XT. I have no doubt that it will focus faster and will have more functions than the XP due to the limitations of the technology / design at the time the XP was released, however if you’re not gonna shoot macro, tele, or sports or if shooting with an OVF is a deal breaker for you (it is for me), then the XP still holds it’s own with the newer models.

Just gonna touch on what Bill mentioned

I’ve had my XP-1 since its release, newer X models have been released since then (XE 1 & 2, XA, XM, XT) but I just kept on using my XP because it does what I require of it and then some. I’m also a big fan of the OVF (nothing wrong with the EVF, and I’ve seen the EVF on the XT and it is just amazing) just my personal preference. But I’m not going to say that the XP is the be all and end all, if I was going shoot tele, macro, or need something for really a rugged environment, then I’d probably pick up an XT. However, I don’t shoot macro, or tele and I’d probably run out of breath just thinking of hiking through rugged terrain, so WS isn’t really a deal breaker for me.

The same can be said with your lens choices. The 35mm 1.4 is permanently glued to my camera, I tried the 23 really nice lens, but I’m just really not used to the focal length. I agree that the 35mm and the XP-1 are made for each other.

As for the focusing speed, this is another kettle of fish entirely……

The XP-1 has had a bad rep regarding its focusing speed. When it was released a lot of people complained that it was sluggish ( I never really had a problem with it, then again I don’t shoot sports, and I tend to take my time when I shoot, so to each their own) and for many the slow focusing speed for the top of the range model is simply disappointing. However Fuji has released one firmware upgrade after another to address this issue. The amount of times Fuji releases firmware upgrades to further improve their product is probably the envy of every other photographer who doesn’t shoot with a Fuji.

The XP-1 is a totally different beast now with all the firmware upgrades, it’s almost a different camera from when it was released.
However, technology is getting better everyday, and that heralds in new designs. The XP-1 was Fuji’s early X-trans sensor model, and newer models have been released since then, with the latest being the XT. I have no doubt that it will focus faster and will have more functions than the XP due to the limitations of the technology / design at the time the XP was released, however if you’re not gonna shoot macro, tele, or sports or if shooting with an OVF is a deal breaker for you (it is for me), then the XP still holds it’s own with the newer models.

I don´t shoot Macro or sports - kids I do shoot and they move around a bit. Tele is nice but neither m43 nor Fuji have good options here (a used 7D + 400 f5.6 L would be my choice here ATM). The offering here for the XPro1 is with the 18mm F2 not the 35 :( but I don´t mind stating with the wider option. I can always get the 35 later if I wish to go with the Fuji line. Will wait a day or two and see if I can get a sale on my EM5 first and then make a choice, but this is very difficult. Thanks for all the input. The XT-1 is twice the price as the X-Pro1 here at the moment - this is why I don´t look at the XT-1 now. I just want a camera that is FUN to shoot with (EM5 is NOT!)

I also heard the the firmware takes care of much of the AF speed problems with Fuji, glad to her that.

For the record, the XT does give you direct 4-button access to moving the AF points. Looks like you aren't leaning that way, but I thought I'd mention it.

Really? I thought not or I may be mixing it up with X-Pro1? I think I have a ok sale of my OM-D now, of so I may also sell my 12-40 f2.8 and perhaps I can reach for the X-T1. Torn between these two, I think I would like the X-T1 more but man the price...:( I really wish for a store around here I could try out these cameras in. Price of living in the middle of nowhere...

I think I will keep my 75 1.8 and buy a simpler body to use for it.

Yep I'm sure. It came with that latest firmware update. To be clear, when it's enabled, the 4 way controller keys on the back of the camera immediately move the AF point when you press them. Obviously it comes at the cost of 4 of your configurable buttons, but yes it is immediate and easy. Half press of the shutter sets it, so it's very quick.

Back