Fuji X-T1 or X-Pro1 at half price?

I'm sorely tempted to get the X Pro 1 (again). I bought one in 2012 when they first came out but got fed up with the slow af and sold it. Since then I've had an XE 1 that I liked, and X-t1 and XE 2 that I didn't. I think I just like the output from the "older" Fuji sensor. I have a credit at a camera shop burning a hole in my pocket but if I buy the Pro I'll get the 18mm + 27mm package and have to wait for a second hand 35mm 1.4 to come on the market, this is the lens that I really want..... or I could go for an XA1/2 and buy the 35mm new.... or I could add my last remaining funds and buy an X100s or t, I just don't want my money sitting with the camera store just in case they go bust!

I'm sorely tempted to get the X Pro 1 (again). I bought one in 2012 when they first came out but got fed up with the slow af and sold it. Since then I've had an XE 1 that I liked, and X-t1 and XE 2 that I didn't. I think I just like the output from the "older" Fuji sensor. I have a credit at a camera shop burning a hole in my pocket but if I buy the Pro I'll get the 18mm + 27mm package and have to wait for a second hand 35mm 1.4 to come on the market, this is the lens that I really want..... or I could go for an XA1/2 and buy the 35mm new.... or I could add my last remaining funds and buy an X100s or t, I just don't want my money sitting with the camera store just in case they go bust!

If what you think you really liked was the output from the older sensor, I wouldn't recommend going with the X100S/T. It also seems counter productive (at least to me) to get the X-Pro with the 18mm & 27mm if what you really want is the 35mm. Is there a way to just purchase the body and then look for a 35mm on the used market?

Bah, that X-Pro1 deal went down the drain, so instead I have ordered a X-T1 with 18-55 kit lens. I want to add the 23 also, but først I need to test the camera and the kit lens. It is rather dark here this time of year so I don´t know how a f2.8 to 4 will do. Let´s hope for the best. The primes seem rather big? At least compared to the m4/3 lenses I am used to.

The primes seem rather big? At least compared to the m4/3 lenses I am used to.

- The 18 and 27 pancakes are small (especially the 27), but the 18 is a so-so optical lens / only 1 stop faster than the kit zoom / not stabilized, while the 27 is decently sharp and pretty derned tiny, but 2 stops slower and (of course) not stabilized.
- The 23 and 35 are about the same size as the 18-55, or smaller. Both are pretty amazing lenses, period, and both are 1.4's.
- The 56 is roughly the same length, but fatter and heavier. You will forgive its size when you see the files it makes... it's not two-handed big.
- The upcoming 90 f2 lens looks to be fairly big... longer than the 56, and fatter as well. It should be a chunk. But having f2 (and assumbly stunning optics like its siblings) at 90mm will be a treat.

As for the 18-55 in dim light, the OIS will help a lot, unless your subjects are moving around too quickly.

- The 18 and 27 pancakes are small (especially the 27), but the 18 is a so-so optical lens / only 1 stop faster than the kit zoom / not stabilized, while the 27 is decently sharp and pretty derned tiny, but 2 stops slower and (of course) not stabilized.
- The 23 and 35 are about the same size as the 18-55, or smaller. Both are pretty amazing lenses, period, and both are 1.4's.
- The 56 is roughly the same length, but fatter and heavier. You will forgive its size when you see the files it makes... it's not two-handed big.
- The upcoming 90 f2 lens looks to be fairly big... longer than the 56, and fatter as well. It should be a chunk. But having f2 (and assumbly stunning optics like its siblings) at 90mm will be a treat.

As for the 18-55 in dim light, the OIS will help a lot, unless your subjects are moving around too quickly.

Thanks. I have seen the 56 1.4 pictures, they are amazing (at least some of them). I wish the 27 was faster and still small (is that possible with this system?). With this rate I feel the advantage of mirrorless is diminishing, or am I being to harsh? After all I haven´t seen a X-T1 with any of these lenses in real life yet (2 days from now I will). From camera compare sites it looks as the X-T1 with the 23/35/18-55 is about the size of an OM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 on. The 56 seems big and the 90 is bigger you say? Ouch.

It's shallower than a DSLR, and weighs a little less. But an XT1 with a fast prime isn't going to be night/day smaller than a DSLR. It will, however, give you better glass than all but the best of the Nikon / Canon stuff, at a fraction of the price. And logical dial-based controls. And the best electronic viewfinder period, right now. It's a little smaller, and a little lighter, but that's less of a selling point with the XT1 than its outright performance, and particularly the performance of the best lenses (23, 35, 56, and the best of the new constant f2.8 zooms).

Sorry to hear your sale fell through with the XP1.
The X-T1 is a great camera (albeit without the OVF).
You can always trade your X-T1 for an X-Pro2 in the future.
I think the Fuji-X ecosystem is the best (IQ for system size).
The lenses and OOC JPEGs are great.
I found M43 not too bad, but the lenses were too big for the M43 bodies (except the 14mm and 20mm pancakes). If someone wanted only one camera system, the Fuji-X system (in my humble opinion) blows away the rest of the competition. Enjoy your X-T1 !

Really? I think the 45mm f1.8 is absolutely tiny for a 90mm equivalent and the 25mm f1.8 is similarly small. To each his own though.

True, and the 45 mm is a great lens (I have it, but selling off my M43 gear kit). I cannot comment on the 25mm F1.8. In using M43, I eventually came to the conclusion that it was not pocketable (except for a couple of pancakes), and since most of the other lenses would stick out somewhat on the M43 bodies, I preferred the bigger Fuji-X system.

My gripes with m43 are not the size nor the lenses. The Oly 45 is good (not great) but the size can´t be beat. It is very plastic though, but the panasonic 20 1.7 has a fantastic speed vs size. That is what I wish this system had. The Oly 75 is great great and some reviewers think it is the sharpest lens regardless of system! In fact, it is so good I still have it even though I have no camera to mount it on. I just can´t sell it yet. Photozone rates this lens higher than any fuji lens and I don´t expect the 56 1.4 to come close. I switched because of the sensor (grainy and bad at iso 800 and above) and that I am not comfortable with the bodies (EM-5 is crappy put together and EM-1 has EVF burning). EM-5 is also a bit on the fiddly side for me.

My gripes with m43 are not the size nor the lenses. The Oly 45 is good (not great) but the size can´t be beat. It is very plastic though, but the panasonic 20 1.7 has a fantastic speed vs size. That is what I wish this system had. The Oly 75 is great great and some reviewers think it is the sharpest lens regardless of system! In fact, it is so good I still have it even though I have no camera to mount it on. I just can´t sell it yet. Photozone rates this lens higher than any fuji lens and I don´t expect the 56 1.4 to come close. I switched because of the sensor (grainy and bad at iso 800 and above) and that I am not comfortable with the bodies (EM-5 is crappy put together and EM-1 has EVF burning). EM-5 is also a bit on the fiddly side for me.

I can certainly understand wanting a lens with a quality build and a good feel in the hand, but I don't think you can get both that and a lens that is small and light. If for example the Oly 45 was built to a higher quality it would no doubt be as heavy as something like the M-mount Voigtlanders. Its plasticky because its made of plastic - that's what makes it small and light. Even though the Fuji 35mm f1.4 is made of metal for example, I don't think that its built substantially better than much of the m43 glass like the Panasonic 25mm or even the Sigma 60mm that I have.

Regarding the 75mm and keeping it, I think that's a smart move. My largest regret in selling camera gear was divesting myself of my Canon EF 200m f2.8 Mark I. When I sold it I didn't have a camera to mount it on so I let it go and now I wish I would have kept it, even if I just bought a cheap older Canon DSLR to mount it on sometime in the future. The only downside I see to mirrorless camera lenses with focus by wire systems is that I don't think we're ever going to be able to mount them on different camera systems the way we can with legacy glass designed for film cameras.

Regarding the 75mm and keeping it, I think that's a smart move. My largest regret in selling camera gear was divesting myself of my Canon EF 200m f2.8 Mark I. When I sold it I didn't have a camera to mount it on so I let it go and now I wish I would have kept it, even if I just bought a cheap older Canon DSLR to mount it on sometime in the future. The only downside I see to mirrorless camera lenses with focus by wire systems is that I don't think we're ever going to be able to mount them on different camera systems the way we can with legacy glass designed for film cameras.

you have my sympathy. My plan is to get a GF something model so I can use that with the 75mm option (and my 12-40 f2.8). I may have to sell if I want more Fuji glass though.

you have my sympathy. My plan is to get a GF something model so I can use that with the 75mm option (and my 12-40 f2.8). I may have to sell if I want more Fuji glass though.

I'd sell the 12-40mm before I'd sell the 75mm. They're both great lenses, but between the two, the 75mm is definitely something special in my opinion.

I know it is a little off topic, but on slrgear.com it seems clear that the best m43 lenses are sharper than Fujis (which are still very good). Do you think it is accurate to say that the IQ will be better on the Fuji because of the sensor size even though the m43 lens may be sharper?

Package of -t1 arrived, fetching it at the post office later today :)

I know it is a little off topic, but on slrgear.com it seems clear that the best m43 lenses are sharper than Fujis (which are still very good). Do you think it is accurate to say that the IQ will be better on the Fuji because of the sensor size even though the m43 lens may be sharper?

Package of -t1 arrived, fetching it at the post office later today :)

I agree with Bill - sharpness numbers don't always tell the whole story. Fuji lenses like the 23mm, 35mm, 60mm and 56mm are ridiculously sharp for any application I can think of. Are they technically as sharp as something like the Olympus 75mm or Panasonic 42.5mm or Sigma 60mm? I don't know, but in a real life shooting scenario I don't think there is going to be a meaningful difference. The larger sensor of the Fuji cameras is going to give two things - better higher ISO performance and more control over DOF. In my experience m43 is typically going to offer faster AF over Fuji and potentially a smaller, lighter kit.

Do you think it is accurate to say that the IQ will be better on the Fuji because of the sensor size even though the m43 lens may be sharper?

There are lots of pages on the web where you can compare all sorts of test shots from both camps side by side.
I had an EM-5 with some lenses for a little while and sold it because what I got out of that camera wasn't up to my expectations IQ wise (for that one camera solution I aimed for back then) and I already had a NEX-7 and some killer Zeiss glass at that time (still have it). The only thing I miss from the Oly is the fast AF and the compactness but you can't have it all.
For my two APS-C cameras (NEX-7 and X-Pro1) I have enough lenses that deliver all the sharpness/resolution I could ask for ... and more.

Back