Fuji X-T1 Rental

alans

Regular
The nice folks at Lensrentals sent me an X-T1 this weekend plus I had a discount coupon!
Renting is a great way to find out if you might like a new piece of gear.
A couple of hours were spent learning the configuration and then I went off to shoot winter landscapes and an event.

Here are a few shots.<br><br>
12888224153_51f7471fd4_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
<br><br>
12888127215_2a2d245799_o.jpg
<br><br>
12888130135_d2e514d0d2_o.jpg

Nicely done! While I've never done it, I agree that renting us a great way to try a new lens or camera for relatively little investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, you've gotten me thinking about this. Renting an X-T1 could be quite cool, but also dangerous.

There's not much to say about the X-T1 that has not already been sad but you are right, it was quite cool renting the X-T1. I am, of course. referring to this in the temperature sense.

Last Saturday morning I headed out to see the sunrise over a frozen Lake Michigan, only to be welcomed by an overcast sky and big blasts of wind coming in from over the lake, dropping the wind chill to somewhere around zero. I drew the X-T1 out of a trusty 25 year old Domke bag, peer into that big beautiful EVF and see big @#$% vignettes in the corners! I look down on the drive control and see that it must have drifted over to the toy settings. Hmm, if I take my gloves off, my fingers will freeze and that will cut short my photo excursion so I go back to the car and reset the camera and check to see that the other settings are right. Strange that the ISO knob is locked but the drive knob is not.

I was out for about an hour and did most of my shooting with the X-E1 as I'm more familiar with it in the cold and it's not good for an old guy like me to waste time in bad weather. I also was only shooting jpg with the X-T1 and for shooting ice/snow landscapes raw works better for me. Anyway here's one from the X-T1. <br>
030114.jpg
<br><br>
Around noon, it had warmed up considerably and the wind had died down, but still overcast:( so I went to shoot some of Chicago's creative souls racing shopping carts. I mostly used the X-T1 with the 18-55 shooting S-AF which functioned very intuitively and spontaneously for me. I noticed a little lag after the shot and likely could have avoided this by shooting C-AF but overall I was hitting focus with that little camera. It didn't let me down.;)<br>
12888124795_bc853cd3cc_o.jpg
<br>I see a shadow, there must be a sun somewhere!<br><br>
It was a fun couple of days with the X-T1. What impressed me most about the EVF was the color quality. The size is nice but I also like the smaller setting of the EVF. I also like the split view, I'm too easy. Overall, Fuji has put together a great little camera that will make a lot of people happy. it has it's quirks but I don't think that they stop you from getting good pictures. Will I buy one? I would like to but I don't need it yet. The X-E1 does well for the bulk of my personal work, most of which are static subjects. I'm kind of guessing that the X-E2 might have a further drop even after the current 100 buck rebate and that camera tempts me as well. I'll reappraise the situation after the fast zooms come out and at that time another X body will likely be on the horizon. It never ends but that's the way we like it.

Looks like you enjoyed it! Roger and the whole team at lensrentals are great.. I've even bought their used equipment, top-notch shop.

Where was this in Chicago? I can't quite place it. Logan Square?

Looks like you enjoyed it! Roger and the whole team at lensrentals are great.. I've even bought their used equipment, top-notch shop.

Where was this in Chicago? I can't quite place it. Logan Square?

This was in Wicker Park and it's called Chiditarod.(more info on chiditarod.com).

Yes, Lensrentals pretty much sets the standard for customer service and Roger's blog is great reading as well as educational. I have also bought used lenses from them and they were very well taken care of. With Calumet leaving the scene, I'm just going to do more business with lensrentals.

Back