Fuji X-T1 Tracking sequences

So OP, what's the DOF at that distance?

Lets see some of a dog charging the camera, pretty easy to do, throw ball, they come back. Someone has to have a dog and an XT1...

Attachments

• 20131102_124DSC_0111.jpg
    20131102_124DSC_0111.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 199
  • 20131102_125DSC_0112.jpg
    20131102_125DSC_0112.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 20131102_126DSC_0113.jpg
    20131102_126DSC_0113.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 20131102_127DSC_0114.jpg
    20131102_127DSC_0114.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 204
I believe I asked Rico this and he answered by I can't remember what the answer was or what thread it was in so I'll ask you all. Everything I've seen talks about focus tracking at 8fps or whatnot, but does the AF tracking work for a single shot? For example, in the dog shots above, can you start your AF tracking and then only take one shot when the moment is right?

So OP, what's the DOF at that distance?

Lets see some of a dog charging the camera, pretty easy to do, throw ball, they come back. Someone has to have a dog and an XT1...
i couldn't really say. shot with the 56 wide open though. birds were about 6 stories high. not sure how well dof holds up at that distance.

my dog is too good to run. i want to try a motorcyclist. like, on their bike too though. and riding it. lol

that's some really nice grass, btw.

I believe I asked Rico this and he answered by I can't remember what the answer was or what thread it was in so I'll ask you all. Everything I've seen talks about focus tracking at 8fps or whatnot, but does the AF tracking work for a single shot? For example, in the dog shots above, can you start your AF tracking and then only take one shot when the moment is right?
i'm going to guess, but i don't think there is any predictive tracking till you're actually mashing the shutter button. from your question, i picture the a6000. the xt1's looks nothing like that.

and it's weird because.. even when i'm mashing the shutter button down and still tracking with my eye on the evf, nothing seems to look like i got any shot in focus till i actually review the images and see how most (if not all) are in focus. i just tried 'af-c' and 'single shot' and couldn't really get a single shot in focus. this is with the 35 wide open. also, as long as you're half pressing, it just jogs back and forth, in and out of focus anyway, so it'd be hard to catch whatever you're waiting to be in focus. idk that i'd ever be shooting this way though.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

i couldn't really say. shot with the 56 wide open though. birds were about 6 stories high. not sure how well dof holds up at that distance.

my dog is too good to run. i want to try a motorcyclist. like, on their bike too though. and riding it. lol

that's some really nice grass, btw.

i'm going to guess, but i don't think there is any predictive tracking till you're actually mashing the shutter button. from your question, i picture the a6000. the xt1's looks nothing like that.

and it's weird because.. even when i'm mashing the shutter button down and still tracking with my eye on the evf, nothing seems to look like i got any shot in focus till i actually review the images and see how most (if not all) are in focus. i just tried 'af-c' and 'single shot' and couldn't really get a single shot in focus. this is with the 35 wide open. also, as long as you're half pressing, it just jogs back and forth, in and out of focus anyway, so it'd be hard to catch whatever you're waiting to be in focus. idk that i'd ever be shooting this way though.

See, I shoot this way all the time on my 5DII for cyclocross - I place my focus point over the rider coming at me, half press (or back button in my case) to start tracking the rider moving toward me and then take the shot when he/she is where I want in my frame. Same thing with theatre photography (though typically this is side to side movment rather than front to back) Sometimes I rattle off multiple frames, but I don't always want 8 or more just to ensure I have the one I want, especially when its a particular moment I want to catch. I like to see more of how people are using the AF tracking in their every day shooting. Maybe my way of shooting is strange, but if it only works the way you say, I don't see how its of much benefit to action shooters that work like I do. That's too bad because I REALLY would like a smaller kit to carry around with me to cover these types of shoots.

'af-c' and 's' does work. i guess i just needed better lighting. plus, the 35 isn't as fast in af as my other lenses. but using it this way almost feels the same as just tracking the object myself and shooting in af-s.

Back