Fuji X-T2 continuous AF with PD sensors

Guido

Hello,

I would like to know if the X-T2 continuous AF stops using the PDAF sensors in the following conditions, like the X-T1:

- keeping MS+ES on (even if the Electronic Shutter is actually not used)
- keeping face detection on

I understand the reasons of such limitations, but I also think it shouldn't be so hard to solve the issues.. at least it should be possible to know if the PDAF is being used with a clear flag turning on and off accordingly.

Kind regards
Guido

- No (also no for the X-T1 and all other PDAF cameras)
- Yes, if FD actually works. Otherwise, also no.

The size of the squares is a flag in Zone and Wide/Tracking modes.

Rico, do you mean that MS+ES option can be ON and the camera will focus using PDAF ?
I was pretty sure I read the opposite somewhere. If you are right (no doubt you are, I just want to be sure I don't misunderstand) that's good news for me.
thanks
Guido

I was pretty sure I read the opposite somewhere.

I'm sure you have. I'm actually pretty sure I've read it, too. It's sad, and I understand that the stream of misinformation and errors in many forums and blogs can be confusing and frustrating.

In any case, the X-T2 offers continuous burst mode AF tracking in ES mode (even at 14 fps), but it's still unclear how good it is compared with the MS. Rolling shutter could be an issue, after all.

OK, same for FD, I am sure I read you should turn it off to let the PDAF work... good to know it is not exactly true.
thanks again Rico!

Yep, it's a bit more complicated. FD only works with CDAF, but if it doesn't work, the fallback mode depends on your fallback settings. And since there isn't a face (detected) in every image...

I'm sure you have. I'm actually pretty sure I've read it, too. It's sad, and I understand that the stream of misinformation and errors in many forums and blogs can be confusing and frustrating.

In any case, the X-T2 offers continuous burst mode AF tracking in ES mode (even at 14 fps), but it's still unclear how good it is compared with the MS. Rolling shutter could be an issue, after all.

I don't doubt that the XT2 offers AF tracking in ES mode.

But if you put the XP2 in AF-C mode and have either MS+ES or ES mode set, you get a info message telling you that it'll be taking photos only in MS mode.

I appreciate that has nothing to do with CDAF/PDAF pixels (as per the OP), but the fact appears to be that pre-XT2 X ILC bodies can't do AF-C and use the ES.

Back