Fuji X-T2 ??? Where's the chatter?

Sorry to jump on the back of this and I hope you don't mind but I would like to share some of my XT2 images so viewers can see two different sets of images taken with the new AFC settings.

I am delighted with the Zone focus with the 100-400 and the wide tracking with the 16-55 for those suddenly appearing in front of me - it picked them up really quickly and followed without issue.

I am really pleased with the performance of this superb camera!

Moto 3.jpg
Moto 4.jpg
Moto 24.jpg
Moto 29.jpg
Moto 30.jpg
Moto 36.jpg

Yep, those are good settings for the cyclocross races I shot a few times. I don't know if they were even in the firmware back then, but if they were, I didn't use them. Regretting it now.

I've had my X-T2 for a couple of weeks now. Mostly learning my way around the menus and setting them to my needs. The true test will be shooting sports indoors where flash is not allowed, and AF locking on target for my daughter's riding competition. The indoor show arena/rings are often times not optimal in lighting, especially when days gets shorter for Fall/Winter. My D4s and Df have been my main stays for indoor work. Though I love my X-T1, it just didn't meet my demands when it comes to all around action or sports work.

Sorry to jump on the back of this and I hope you don't mind but I would like to share some of my XT2 images so viewers can see two different sets of images taken with the new AFC settings.

I am delighted with the Zone focus with the 100-400 and the wide tracking with the 16-55 for those suddenly appearing in front of me - it picked them up really quickly and followed without issue.

Really nice shots, Ian! I tried the wide tracking for some shots at the Indy Car race at Sonoma Raceway last weekend; it worked *okay* but not great. It did not lock focus well when the race cars were still pretty far away, it would lock on the dark track instead. This could be "hot track" syndrome. "Hot track" phenomenon mucks with phase detection AF systems if the track gets really hot and you are shooting down a long length of racetrack in the scene. The large amount of infrared radiating up off the track will cause the AF system to mis-focus, or focus erroneously. This is not unique to Fuji's, it does it pretty badly with Canon an Nikon pro bodies as well.

No apology ... those shots look pretty good to me. Chatter Chatter Chatter!!!

I would think those two would fare as well as anything else. The 56 might have an extra 2 stops, but it's also an odler AF design, and not quite as snappy as those newbies.

Indoor sports automatically will demand higher ISOs and apertures of f2.8 or lower. A midrange prime like the 85mm (84mm Fuji) can be used for sports (f1.8-1.2); but I find I prefer the compression factor of the telephotos. The 135 mm f2 (a staple when I shot with Canon) is one of my all time favorite sports primes for indoor work (preordered the 90mm f2 when first announced), as well as the 200mm f2 (disgustingly drool worthy, rented) or 300mm f2.8/4 (Nikon). The problem with shooting in indoor show arenas and barns; dust. Makes no sense to me to buy a weather and dust sealed body and use non-sealed lenses.

Thanks Stephen and Safari, I have not heard of Hot track but then again I do not photograph track events at the same level but if ever I do I will bear it in mind. I am just really happy with the performance of the camera and it meets all my needs (just need an airshow now to try it at.........ah well, 2017 will soon be here).

Interesting to see the comments made by the Sony manager at Photo Kino ref XT2 focus versus Sony - below.

"
Amateurphotographer had a talk with Sony Manager Legend Kimio Maki, the creator of RX series and A7 series (so not really a Fuji Fanboy). It’s all about the A7 series and especially the Sony A99II (which I took some shots with at Photokina and shared the video with SAR here).

At the very end the Sony Manager says one sentence also regarding the Fujifilm X-T2, when amateurphotographer asked:

Q: Are fast-focusing mirrorless cameras like the Fujifilm X-T2 a threat to Sony Alpha 7-series customers?
A: Yes. In terms of speed we have learned a lot from Fujifilm, Canon and other competitors. There’s still a lot more to learn of course and we don’t have the same kind of weapon right now. We have to create something new".

Back