Fuji X-T2 ??? Where's the chatter?

There are a number of threads and posts on the subject; I note five down the right hand side of the home page not including this one. What would you like to discuss about it?

I have already posted my first XT2 images of a wartime re-enactment event and have to say I am really pleased with the performance and IQ and maybe it is because it is new and exciting, I feel that the quality of image rendering is just slightly better than the images I get from my XPro2 (it may just be me though with wishful thinking).
I am planning to try it for some moto cross shots this weekend to see how the AFC / tracking compares to the XPro2 and I will post my thoughts and some images when shot / selected / edited.
I have not owned a XT1 / XT10 so can only compare with XPro2 / XPro1 and my departed Nikon kit - interesting times ahead!

There are a number of threads and posts on the subject; I note five down the right hand side of the home page not including this one. What would you like to discuss about it?

I was interested to hear user experiences, differences from X-T1, issues that have surfaced or not, example images. Other Fuji and genereral photography web sites have tons of discussion on all of these. I guess I'm just surprised to see very little here when there's lots of chatter in other places. The general level of discourse and technical understanding is higher here than in "other places" so was hoping to see more.

Rand

I think people only contribute here when they have something to say. There are as you say other places where there is chatter, but the signal to noise ratio is much higher ;) Remember that there are very few X-T2s in the wild yet. That situation will change in the weeks to come.

I was interested to hear user experiences, differences from X-T1, issues that have surfaced or not, example images. Other Fuji and genereral photography web sites have tons of discussion on all of these. I guess I'm just surprised to see very little here when there's lots of chatter in other places. The general level of discourse and technical understanding is higher here than in "other places" so was hoping to see more.

I have my XT-2 in - had it in since Monday, but have not yet had much of a chance to play with it. I plan to take it out this afternoon and tomorrow to see what it really can do. So far In-House it is VERY nice. I like the new ergonomics and the one inside shot I took, I loaded into Lightroom and was really impressed with the Image Quality. Until I get it out shooting I won't be able to say anything with real confidence.

It actually doesn't float my boat... I'm a rangefinder-style shooter at heart and SLR styling really doesn't do it for me. OTOH the optical viewfinder, form factor and higher resolution rear screen of the X-Pro2 does. To each their own.

I just have to wait a few months. My dad will buy one, and I can play with it to satisfy any curiosity. The things you listed, plus the stealth factor have me loving the Pro 2.

I am a new Fuji, I purchased the XT2. I use Lightroom to process my images, are the profiles for Fuji loaded into the software? I thought the film simulations were going to be there, but I have been unable to find them. Also, the XT2 does not show up when I check enable profile corrections. Also, does anyone know of a good source to really learn more in depth about this camera, the manual is not the best.
Thanks for the help.

I am sure Rico Pfirstinger, our resident Guji guru, will be writing a lot about the X-T2 very soon. An e-book is very likely as well. In the meantime, you can ask him questions directly in a forum we have set aside for him on this very site:

Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert

Meanwhile, I'm not surprised that there are no Fuji X-T2 profiles yet in Lightroom. It usually takes a while for the updates to occur with new models. Weeks... sometimes months. But, remember, you can select film simulations in the camera itself. You can also shoot raw and convert to jpg in camera as well.

I am a new Fuji, I purchased the XT2. I use Lightroom to process my images, are the profiles for Fuji loaded into the software? I thought the film simulations were going to be there, but I have been unable to find them. Also, the XT2 does not show up when I check enable profile corrections. Also, does anyone know of a good source to really learn more in depth about this camera, the manual is not the best.
Thanks for the help.

In the develop module, scroll down to the bottom where you will find camera calibration. The film simulations are all there in a drop down menu. Lr doesn't have much in the way of profile support for Fuji like it does for Canon and Nikon. And while Lr has gotten a lot better with Xtrans files. I still go back to Capture One Pro. C1's Acros(must be purchased in the film preset pack but well worth the money) looks much better than Lr's. Or I'd do as Bill suggests and use the simulations, or raw conversion, in camera.

Also as mentioned, Rico will have a book out covering the T2 in depth. And he answers questions in his section of the forum which Bill linked to.

The lens profiles are applied by LR automatically when you import the files. There's nothing you need to do. Leica, Fuji and a few others are set up this way.

Rand

I have my XT-2 in - had it in since Monday, but have not yet had much of a chance to play with it. I plan to take it out this afternoon and tomorrow to see what it really can do. So far In-House it is VERY nice. I like the new ergonomics and the one inside shot I took, I loaded into Lightroom and was really impressed with the Image Quality. Until I get it out shooting I won't be able to say anything with real confidence.

Well, I got my XT-2 out this morning chasing Butterflies. Mostly it reminded me of the best photography advice I ever received "Learn the equipment you have first". It is a little different than the XT-2 mostly in the menus. I kept putting it in boost mode when I wanted to change to zone focus - seems that button has changed. These were taken with the 55-200 lens.
The first was taken at 1/480 sec f4.8 ISO 200 at 200 mm
The second was taken at 1/2500 sec f4.8 ISO 6400 at 200 mm

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

Rand
I haven't done much yet as I'm in pain with a slipped disk and pinched nerve, but a few observations:
- For some reason all the controls are exactly where I want them. I used to fumble occasionally with my X-T1. Maybe just my imagination, or paying better attention to the new toy??
- The multiple-axis tilt LCD is a delight, it will be even more useful when I get the vertical grip.
- Custom Q menus - gonna set one up before my October vacation in the Maine (USA) mountains and my November cruise (Vienna and other European ports).
- I'm not going to push any limits with this camera, but no complaints about colour, exposure, focus, sharpness, speed, or... anything.
- Everything works as - or better than - I expected, and it's EASY to do what I want.
- On a recent photo walk with mostly Canon and Nikon users several of whom expressed shock at the high quality of my images - I give credit to the camera, not my skills.
- I think I like this camera.

Well, I got my XT-2 out this morning chasing Butterflies. Mostly it reminded me of the best photography advice I ever received "Learn the equipment you have first". It is a little different than the XT-2 mostly in the menus. I kept putting it in boost mode when I wanted to change to zone focus - seems that button has changed. These were taken with the 55-200 lens.
The first was taken at 1/480 sec f4.8 ISO 200 at 200 mm
The second was taken at 1/2500 sec f4.8 ISO 6400 at 200 mm

Great shots, great IQ. I'm guessing you didn't need to do much in Lightroom.

Back