Fuji X Trans vs OMD

IIRC, Olympus has a JPEG engine with plenty of options (and also a built-in RAW converter), so isn't the matter of "colors", "saturation" and "contrast" just a matter of JPEG settings?

It's not simply a case of making adjustments to overall saturation of colours, and for the most part I am happy with the E-M5's colour output (from the raw files. I don't like jpegs in general and I don't think that jpegs are a strong suit of the E-M5). It's about occasionally having to make adjustments to the Hue, Saturation, and Luminance of a few individual colour channels (blues, mostly) to get the balance right. Ultimately it's not an insurmountable issue and totally worth the trouble given how well the E-M5 works as a camera, but I would be happier if it could always pump out the same consistent, pleasing colours as my Samsung NX200 in particular.

Hi Taz
My apologies . Nothing to get offended here . Olympus offers the best WB and I have used FUji as well and I like it . I didn't sell EX1 , but I was thinking of getting one . Now I think we all are entitled for opinions and they are like noses . So u have urs and I have mine . If u have shot those pics with Oly17 mm with PM2 then something went wrong there mate. There are thousands examples and shots which show that new sensor in new generation MFt is fantastic even at high ISO. As I said all cameras can't be the same . If you like FUji looks that's fine , go for it .I agree that Fuji pics have a distinct look and we all like it.But dont get this sensor vs sensor argument .

Apology accepted :)

I know, I have some great images from the E-PM2 + 17/1.8 combo, that are actually on my portfolio. Take a look if you can!
But for something going wrong, I always use Auto WB + JPEG for both Olympus & Fuji cameras, so not sure if I can agree on best WB.

The OP wanted examples of digital vs film and to show why I thought the colors + skin tones were pleasing from Fuji.

That's why I showed him extreme examples, in similar light conditions, that I could find from my limited Flickr photo stream.
Not sure many would share images like these (bad WB, out of focus person) posted to a "Camera Enthusiast" forum, so people can say that it's the photographers fault, not the camera, etc etc :confused:

Anyways, here's another extreme example of bad Auto WB from the Olympus. Trust me, I'm Asian but not this yellow.. :p
Shot with the 20/1.7

8278610307_3a100482ee_c.jpg

Dim Sum by Taz Spin, on Flickr

Apology accepted :)

I know, I have some great images from the E-PM2 + 17/1.8 combo, that are actually on my portfolio. Take a look if you can!
But for something going wrong, I always use Auto WB + JPEG for both Olympus & Fuji cameras, so not sure if I can agree on best WB.

The OP wanted examples of digital vs film and to show why I thought the colors + skin tones were pleasing from Fuji.

That's why I showed him extreme examples, in similar light conditions, that I could find from my limited Flickr photo stream.
Not sure many would share images like these (bad WB, out of focus person) posted to a "Camera Enthusiast" forum, so people can say that it's the photographers fault, not the camera, etc etc :confused:

Anyways, here's another extreme example of bad Auto WB from the Olympus. Trust me, I'm Asian but not this yellow.. :p
Shot with the 20/1.7

8278610307_3a100482ee_c.jpg

Dim Sum by Taz Spin, on Flickr

That's a different race lol

I really liked my OM-D then Iridient Developer released there new version of software and I am back shooting an X-E1 raw only.
Excellent results. It's like the Fuji camera came alive

I don't really like to comment much on threads that compare IQ between sensors or camera coz I don't think I am qualified and most of the time I have been pretty satisfied with most of the current cameras. But I want to share my experience with these cameras because they are indeed different in almost every way, from controls, characteristics, rendering etc...

I shot the OM-D for a little more than 4 months, E-PM2 for a month, E-P5 for a couple of weeks and I had just started shooting with the X-E1 a couple of days ago. Among the three Oly, the E-P5 is my favorite.

From initial impression, there are two things I noticed sensor wise:
1. The shadow on X-E1 files are cleaner at all range (IMHO)
2. The highlights on X-E1 is not as easily recoverable as the sensors in those three Oly cameras

When I shot with the Oly's I really liked the output I got except when doing long exposures or when I end up underexposing a particular shot a bit, the shadows are not as forgiving and I always ended up with a photo that's a bit too noisy than I would have wanted. Even if I shot the photo at ISO 200 there is something in the shadows. It's just not as refined. I came from a D700 before I shot Oly... so I might have been just my perception.

Now I bought the X-E1 coz I got curious about Fuji, I was not expecting nor hoping it would have better IQ BUT after a few days of shooting with the X-E1, my impresions are:
-The controls are very nice
-AF is a lot slower than any of the above Oly cameras
-E-VF is worst than on the E-M5 or VF-4 and while it is better than the VF-4 color wise it lags a lot (I knew this before I bought it so it's okay).

But the files I get from it seems smoother, cleaner, more refined in almost all ISO.

Also, like Gary said it forces you to shoot slower, compose better, think before you click the shutter, inspires you more. For everyday use I can see myself using the X-E1 more than any of the Oly for the foreseeable future. I am not sure I got better photos out of the X-E1 but the shooting experience is definitely better. Also I will definitely get one Oly body again in the next few months as my action camera... (most likely another E-P5).:D

Sorry for the long post. :eek:

while many aspects of IQ are DXO 'measurable', i've always been of the opinion that these comparisons are very often not in fact 'measurable'. one persons 'film like' is another persons 'soft' is another persons 'i dont agree'. thats why i dont like verbally analysing photos--folks just see different things from the same examples.

my experience was that i had happily used an ep2 for years with some native but mostly mf glass. nonetheless, i was eagerly anticipating the 'hardware' updates of the omd, as well as its 'much better' sensor. well, the hardware updates more than lived up to the hype--much faster, shooting from the lcd etc. and sensor-wise much much better low light/high iso. but i was incerdibly disappointed otherwise with the new sensor. even my wife could see most images were flat, had no 'pop', no life. believe me, i really wanted this not to be the case, but thats how i saw it. and even though i forced myself to stick with it and 'learn' to like it, ultimately i was so displeased i sold it. honestly, i much preferred the look of the old ep2.

now prior to this transition i bought an x100. to me, the color, frame-wide clarity, 'pop', headroom, high iso, everything IQ blew away not only my ep2/omd, but also the 5d i was also shooting. though ive tried to describe it objectively, really, in all instances and for all the one on one comparisons, at the end of the day how i see these supposedly objective criteria is really subjective. while i would in fact disagree with those who reach an opposite conclusion, i dont think those folks are 'wrong', we just see things differently. and thats how these discussions pretty much always end.

my experience was that i had happily used an ep2 for years with some native but mostly mf glass. nonetheless, i was eagerly anticipating the 'hardware' updates of the omd, as well as its 'much better' sensor. well, the hardware updates more than lived up to the hype--much faster, shooting from the lcd etc. and sensor-wise much much better low light/high iso. but i was incerdibly disappointed otherwise with the new sensor. even my wife could see most images were flat, had no 'pop', no life. believe me, i really wanted this not to be the case, but thats how i saw it. and even though i forced myself to stick with it and 'learn' to like it, ultimately i was so displeased i sold it. honestly, i much preferred the look of the old ep2.

I feel the same way about my output from the E-PM2 and really regret selling my E-PL2..
So disappointed about the files from my E-PM2, that I'm in the process of selling all my m43 gear!

Glad to read that it wasn't only me who wasn't impressed with the new sensor!

Anyone happen to still have some Oly 12mp sensor images vs the new 16mp Sony sensor to show what they're talking about?

I was planning on updating to an OM-D but after reading this I'm not so sure.

thin, what we're really talking about is how IQ is very subjective. many absolutely love the IQ they get from the omd. theyre not wrong. i didnt. i'm not wrong. its really a very individual thing. as an aside, i'm really not a fan of the sony 'look'--no offense intended to anyone who loves their nex's. most people love sony, reviews are outstanding. just doesnt suit my eye.

i think you really have to see it yourself. i strongly suggest renting expensive equipment, shooting it like crazy for a day or two, and analysing the results yourself before buying. or buy from amazon. ):

thin, what we're really talking about is how IQ is very subjective. many absolutely love the IQ they get from the omd. theyre not wrong. i didnt. i'm not wrong. its really a very individual thing. as an aside, i'm really not a fan of the sony 'look'--no offense intended to anyone who loves their nex's. most people love sony, reviews are outstanding. just doesnt suit my eye.

i think you really have to see it yourself. i strongly suggest renting expensive equipment, shooting it like crazy for a day or two, and analysing the results yourself before buying. or buy from amazon. ):

Fuji x100 - equipped with a SONY APS-C chip, no? Also found in the Nikon D90

Anyone happen to still have some Oly 12mp sensor images vs the new 16mp Sony sensor to show what they're talking about?

I was planning on updating to an OM-D but after reading this I'm not so sure.

I like the images from the OM-D,
Full of color and pop I see.
That doesn't mean that OM-D files are better than the Fuji,
Just different, neither better or worse ... just different to me.

GRAA0682-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OM-D

GRAB0113-L.jpg

OM-D

GRAB0478-XL.jpg

P7100189-X2.jpg

Gary

Back