Leica X Vario owner - again

carlb

All-Pro
Back when the X Vario first came out, I had to give it a try. Regardless of the negative publicity it received, I thought it to be a great camera.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't justify the very high price versus what I already had in the Fuji X-E1 and its great lenses. So, with regrets back it went.

I had been trying to figure out which camera to get next lately - X-E2 or E-M1. But, I was also scanning eBay and Amazon, hoping for a great deal on a used Leica. Some deal I just couldn't refuse.

Yesterday I bid on an X Vario refurb on eBay, full Leica warranty. Did not think I'd win the auction, thought my highest auto-bid was just too low. Well as of 3PM today, I'm a Leica X Vario owner, again. This time at a price I can justify that camera at. Woo-hoo!

Now, I just have to wait as it wends its way from balmy Florida to nippy Minnesota. Tapping my foot, twiddling my thumbs already. :D Looking forward to what I know I can get out of that camera.

Tap-tap-tap. Twiddle-twiddle. Tap-tap-tap. :woohoo1:

Congrats Carl and I hope you're still enjoying your X Vario!

Xvarior, your review's photos really show off what this camera is capable of. It always interested me, but the price was too high for me... Perhaps they will continue to come down.

I got a secondhand copy last week and am warming up quickly to it!

Attachments

• Rodeo 19 web.jpg
    Rodeo 19 web.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 221
Congrats! The lens is marvelously sharp with lovely (albeit shallow) bokeh. It has quite the useful zoom range, and is matched to a superb sensor. The controls are great, analog-like where that helps balance shutter speed with aperture to get a desired exposure. The digital controls are kept simple and accessible by a straightforward, shallow menu. It's a real Leica with auto-focus, and not too bad auto-focus at that (if not for sports, obviously). The build is by far best of any of the cameras I have owned, it's wonderful to shoot.

I'm glad I have this camera, being by far my favorite - including the Olympus E-M1. Sure the E-M1 can do much the X Vario can't. But where the X Vario can, I much prefer to shoot it.

Confession: I shoot it with a silver Oly VF-2 viewfinder, since that's what I have. The black "LEICA" evf would be much snazzier, but what the heck.

Back