Fuji X1 Pro vs XE1?

That's what I'd buy, too because I don't care about the OVF and if the EVF is as good as or better than my X100's then I'm sold. Now I just need to fill up the checkbook.:wink_old:

That said, I have never even touched either of these system cameras.

Xpro for sure. I love the feel of this camera, it is much more like my Leica than the x-e1.
But most importantly I love the OVF. When shooting fashion outdoors in bright sunlight I struggled to see the EVF of the XE. I exchanged it for the Xpro and never looked back.

Good point, it's true that the OVF is awfully handy for many photographic opportunities.

Am I correct that the XE-1 is smaller?

It feels much smaller in my jumbo hands. The handgrip helped the feel of the xe1 for me a lot, but the xpro just feels soo much better (for me). I also got the grip for the xpro and it feels very substantial, where as the xe1 had more of a toy-like feeling. It is not, of course and some prefer the lighter weight and smaller size. Once the pancake is released, the x-e might be pocketable.

I was an early X-Pro1 buyer so the X-E1 was not yet available. But at the moment I would still go with the X-Pro1 even if the smaller size of the X-E1 is quite attractive and the EVF has been improved over the Pro's. The Pro's better LCD, OVF and overall balance of camera & lens (specially with adapters for non-Fuji lenses) work better for me (and I have small hands). Some say the build equality of the Pro is a notch better than the E1 but that doesn't really make much of a difference and is not that noticeable, IMHO. Go to a store and hold both and see which one feels/fits better and makes you want to go out and shoot (images!).

I will go check and see if one of the local camera shops has either of these in stock.
But, thanks for the different viewpoints. Being an old school Leica person before switching to digital, the OVF seems really interesting.

Thanks to all who responded.

If you were starting out with the X system today? Which would you buy and why?
I am trying to decide which one to save for.

Thanks
The OVF is a huge part of what attracted me to the Fuji stuff to begin with, so for mr the X-Pro was and would be a no-brainer. It almost completely comes down to the OVF - if you want one or if you don't. The other differences between the two don't amount to a hill of beans.

-Ray

Price for me. I couldn't think about the X-Pro price, but the cost of the X-E1 with the kit zoom - used - wasn't too much of a stretch. Plus I really wanted that kit zoom, which is pretty expensive on its own but is priced very nicely if with the X-E1.

Would love to try out the Pro, but the X-E1 is pretty darned compelling.

I'm waiting for my X-E1 to be delivered, but I did hold one in store and it's fantastic! I can't comment on the X-pro1 as I have neither owned one nor held one but the X-e1 just did it for me, so much like the X100 yet has that fantastic zoom kit lens, I can't wait!!!!

I've tried them both, side by side. The X-E1 has a much improved EVF, and it's smaller,cheaper and lighter with the exact same IQ. The OVF of the X-Pro1 is actually significantly smaller than the OVF in the X100, and I rarely use the OVF on my X100 (which I own) at all. The only thing the X-pro1 has going for it over the X-E1 is the OVF, really. And for me, that's not a concern at all.

I use the OVF way more than the EVF. for me it's a compelling photographic experience. Mastering the OVF takes a little effort. Its worth it. I also prefer the size of the X-Pro 1.

Like others, I prefer the X-Pro 1 for its handling and its OVF. I started seriously looking at the X-Pro a few weeks before the announcement of the X-E1; I held off a few weeks to learn more, and thought I would wait for the X-E1 because of its size (I have smallish hands) and lower price. But because I found a great deal on a used X-Pro1, and the fact that I couldn't justify another EVF only camera (I am very happy with the VF2 for my digital Pens), I went for the X-Pro1. I have not regretted it. I was surprised by the handling; it is a little chunkier than my Leica M3 film camera, but handles just as well (and is actually lighter), and I prefer it's feel versus that of my X100.

Ironically, I shoot about half my photos using the EVF of the X-Pro1, but the OVF has become very useful for low-light situations capturing movement (e.g., dance) when the poor refresh rate of an EVF can become a hindrance. I switch to full manual focus, preset focus on key points where the action will take place, and track the action with the OVF. I've been very pleased.

I am also one who likes the ovf. I tend to use the ovf more than the evf or the LCD. Maybe over 70% more. I mainly use te evf when I need accurate framing. U can actually even use the ovf w/ mf lenses (zone or hyper focus) or in mf with focus assist.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the heavier and slightly larger body of the xp1 actually balances better if u intend to use larger lenses that will be coming out from Fuji, like the zooms. But also rf lenses such as tri-elmar or Konica 21/35 or slr such lenses such as Nikor 105 macro. These lenses do not feel lens heavy thus end up w/ much better balance. A smaller and lighter camera body such as the Ricoh gxr w/ a12 m module always felt unbalance when I used my Konica 21/35 rf lens.

Cheers
Gary

X-Pro for me, based on my experience with the X100. I love the hybrid viewfinder and would miss it. I also like the body. I didnt think I would, being as how its much larger than the X100 but after handling one in a store, I am sold. Shame I could not get it then and there... in time...

Back