Leica X1 viewfinder find...

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Used to have the Leica 36mm finder for my previous X1/X2. Happened upon this Zeiss Ikon 432/5 for just around $65.00, It was between this or an old Leica torpedo style finder. I chose this though, more compact and lighter, seems to do the job.
untitled-25.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

untitled-35.jpg

Let's see what finders you have found for your camera

Good find. I use Olympus 34mm optical viewfinder which was released w/ 17mm 2.8. I found it at Keh used at a similar price. I use it w/ RX1 which has 32mm-35mm range. However, the vf is gray, so I covered w/ black electric tape.

I had forgotten how quickly the X1 batteries tap out. I've set the display for external viewfinder and now it only comes on when I want to review and for a moment after powering up and before I press the shutter.

Nice finder….and a good match for the silver/gun metal grey X1!

Hmmm….that's quite an idea maybe if I buy the finder first, then the X1 will come.
I soooo want one, an ex one that is.

Yeah, Mark... originally having an X1, then an M9 briefly before traveling with an X2, the X1 is truly a special piece. Color rendering more to my tastes and the styling is sleeker. I couldn't resist!

Yeah, Mark... originally having an X1, then an M9 briefly before traveling with an X2, the X1 is truly a special piece. Color rendering more to my tastes and the styling is sleeker. I couldn't resist!
Yeah Bruce the X2 has polish but the X1 seems to have more class.

I think a Leica X would be an excellent complement to my Leica Barnack (IIIf). Form factor and controls look very similar - it possesses many of the qualities that puts the Barnack above an M for me….including the use of an OVF (both my 28 and 50mms have OVFs).

I hope to find one one day soon.

I have the original Leica X1 viewfinder which actually surprised me as it doesn't seem as clear as the one I used on the DLux4.
Bought from the Main Leica Dealer in West Palm Beach , I was also surprised to see made in Japan on the box.

If you're on the lookout for an X1 viewfinder , the 24mm DLux 4 viewfinder has an internal frame at 35mm and is useful.
The Panasonic version for the LX3 can be had for less money but I'm not sure if it has the internal frame.

How do you like the auto lens cap? I've found it very useful.

Well, the Zeiss Ikon finder didn't stay very long. I found that because I wear glasses, I could not view edge to edge through the viewfinder, had to continually dodge back and forth to see the left and right boundaries. Anyway, I traded it for a fairly clean VIOOH finder, I just leave it set to 3.5 and I'm good to go.
Drag-2.jpg

I recently received a 28mm bright line finder from Voigtlander and must say I am very impressed - as good as the SBOOI fro Leica. I'd certainly entertain it as an 35mm option when I find my X1.

Look forward to your report on the VIOOH turret finder Bruce. Out of interest do the frame lines simply change on the same field of view or does the finder 'zoom'?…and it is all right way up isn't it? ;)…there are some Leica finders that give you a ground glass backward view of the world.

Well, as much as I liked the torpedo finder, it was a bit on the heavy side so I traded straight across for an SBLOO brightline. Little bit of a dent on the top of the eyepiece but it doesn't effect the performance. I think it makes a handsome addition and am a happy snapper!
EmptyName3.jpg

Back