Fuji X10 Focus Error

My second, newer X10 has developed a pretty frequent, but still intermittent 'focus error' on start up. You can hear gears whirring in the lens when this occurs.

Sadly it's out of warranty and I'm wondering if any UK users have had a similar issue and had to pay for the fix themselves. If so, how much was the repair please? I'm guessing its possibly not financially viable when you can get a whole new camera X10 for £250 or so.

Thanks in advance

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My second, newer X10 has developed a pretty frequent, but still intermittent 'focus error' on start up. You can hear gears whirring in the lens when this occurs.

Sadly it's out of warranty and I'm wondering if any UK users have had a similar issue and had to pay for the fix themselves. If so, how much was the repair please? I'm guessing its possibly not financially viable when you can get a whole new camera X10 for £250 or so.

I'm afraid that I have no useful advice to offer - just to say that I sympathise with your focus problems on the x10. Although I liked the camera very much, the problem of unreliable focus eventually drove me to sell mine in favour of a Sony RX100. I haven't looked back, as the RX100 (though less enjoyable ergonomically) is simply superb in its output.

I hope that you manage to get your problems with the x10 resolved. It's a great camera in so many ways, but I couldn't continue with it when perhaps 75%+ of my photos were out of focus.

Really weird, but my issue seems to have been caused by a faulty 3rd party battery that whilst showing fully charged after charging, was not providing enough power to drive the focus mechanism inside the lens.

Once I dug out my original battery, all was fine.......few

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have the same problem

I just bought the X10 via Warehouse Deals Amazon, there is only an original battery. The battery is loaded but there is always the error message "focus error", and the camera just doesn’t work. I learned from another forum that the lenses might be broken. There is also a noise in the lenses when I turn the camera on. I have to send it back to the seller, sadly, because I really wanted to make use of it …

Sorry to hear about that. My own X10 has been back to Fuji twice for repairs for this reason. Sometimes the 'Focus Error' was intermittent other times the camera would lock up completely. In the end Fuji replaced the lens unit. Of course the 'Focus Error' kicked in at the worst times - once on holiday and then when shooting some reference stuff for work.

The zoom feels slightly less smooth on the second lens but apart from one odd instance it has been reliable. This one instance was when I took the camera out of a warm house into the cold to photograph fireworks. As soon as a started up the camera I got the dreaded 'Focus Error' message but when I warmed up the lens barrel a little all was fine. This makes me think that it may be a mechanical rather than electronic issue.

Back