Fuji X10 for professional use

Rodolfo

I asked this question some months ago on a beautiful X10 blog on Flickr.
I received hundred of replies, all differents in the point of view.
The question is: can the X10 be used in professional use, for istance as a backup camera during a wedding?
Many people think not.
After some months of use, I can tell YES, by sure. I used it for several professional services, also in situations where a more intrusive, noisy camera would have been impossible to use, like some concert in an ambassade and so on.
There are also some guys that use it for professional war reportages, and the director of Magnum photo itself use only compact cameras.
Please, tell me yours, I would be pleased to know how many of us use this little gem for their professional work. I think it is a reliable tool at least as many DSLR, and most of the time more practical.
Thanks!!

Of course it can be used profesionally. Heck, pros are using iPhones to shoot the cover of time Time magazine. The gear is much less important than knowing what you are doing, which is the real essence of being a pro, much less han the gear you carry.

Only clueless people judge by looking at gear, they have to, because they have no way of judging one's abilities due their own lack of photographic knowledge. So they look at the size and number of camers and lenses. If it looks heavy and expensive, it must be good. If not, doubts start to surface - doubts about the ability of the photographer. It's all about psychology.

Think about it. If you are supposed to buy a good bottle of wine in the supermarket and you have no clue about wine, what will you do? You will buy an expensive one, because if it's expensive, it will probably/hopefully be good. OTOH, if a good bottle of wine is offered rather cheaply (maybe due to a pricing mismatch), can it really be good? You will most certainly begin to doubt its quality and may pass on the bargain of your life.

I started a thread earlier with a similar subject, but yes, as a fashion photographer I've grown to really appreciate the X10 as a photographic tool. Granted, I'll only use it in this capacity if I know it's limitations aren't compromising the creative goals or output requirements of the shoot, but it's still an incredible tool for what it is. Never had a problem with a client questioning my choice of gear, even if I'm walking in with literally nothing but the X10.

I use X10 for some of macro shots in the wedding (rings and other stuff) when I don't want to carry lots of lenses. I find it complements my work conveniently.

I started a thread earlier with a similar subject, but yes, as a fashion photographer I've grown to really appreciate the X10 as a photographic tool. Granted, I'll only use it in this capacity if I know it's limitations aren't compromising the creative goals or output requirements of the shoot, but it's still an incredible tool for what it is. Never had a problem with a client questioning my choice of gear, even if I'm walking in with literally nothing but the X10.

It always helps to have a name with reputation. If you do, gear becomes irrelevant. To the contrary, others may follow your way and use compacts, as well. When you are known and respected in a field, you automatically become a leader.

Of course it can be use for professional purposes! You could actually create a lot of creative shot with the X10 that you would never do with a big DSLR.

Back