Fuji X10 Frustration

Went to a Christmas Dance last night with my fancy new X10 having spent ages telling SWMBO how good the pics would be with my new camera only to find that I couldn't get the flash to work. The resultant smirking from her ladyship made my mood no better and ended up taking the camera back to the room whilst friends snapped away with their little P& S's.

Decide for a change to read the instructions when I got home and find that the flash doesn't work if it's the camera is on silent mode.

Maybe it's just me but I can think of no logical reason why this should be. Am I being thick or is this just daft?

silent mode is for when you don;t want want to be noticed taking photographs. A flash going off is quite distracting. Maybe the naming doesn't make it clear (the flash doesn't make noise), but now that you've read the manual, you won't forget it.

I hadn't noticed this, Steve. Perhaps the supposition is that if one's going to use a flash that one won't be "silent" for long? I'm sure some of the other X10 folks will weigh in as the day/evening progresses. *I see Luke and I were answering at the same time.

I certainly understand the logic in it. If you want the camera to be obvious, you have one setting and another for when you want to be discreet. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the first time I ran into it, but its a one-time educational process, not a design flaw. At least I don't think it is. Its not something you're likely to run into repeatedly unless you pretty much never use flash, in which case it wouldn't matter much.

Just chalk it up to part of the education you have to get with any new piece of equipment.

-Ray

I didn't really see the silent mode as being discreet, I've been doing a lot of experimenting with the camera and found the bleeps annoying so turned them off and didn't make the connection between the 2 things.

Still cant figure out why I cant select a different Aperture/Shutter speed in P Mode as the book say I should be able to do but I will go fiddle some more, and maybe even read more of the manual.... as a last resort of course!!

Its fun learning new stuff but the curve can be quite steep to begin with.

I LOVE reading manuals. I read one for everything I buy. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who reads his car's owners' manual cover to cover anymore. :D

I don't have an X10, but can you independently turn down the volume on the various beeps without setting it to silent mode?

Rationale for decoupled sound and flash: it's easier to hear where something came from, rather than following the flash.

I LOVE reading manuals. I read one for everything I buy. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who reads his car's owners' manual cover to cover anymore. :D

I don't have an X10, but can you independently turn down the volume on the various beeps without setting it to silent mode?

Yeah, you can set the volume (shutter and operational sounds, separate settings) to zero or loud or where-ever in between. Silent mode just handles everything at once and includes flash and AF illuminator too, and maybe something else I'm not thinking of. I think its good to have, although maybe they shoulda' named it "discretion" mode or something.

-Ray

I suppose in Museums , Art Galleries and Churches you wouldn't want the flash to fire in order protect valuable artifacts so I can see how Fuji might include Flash OFF in their silent routine.
But then the flash can't fire until it's put up so what's the point?
Could it be a legacy from Fuji's P&S range of cameras?

All part of the fun ; as they say RTFM!

One part about the volume control that annoyed me was that the volume control for operations serves to control both the operational "clicking" when one is using the camera menus AND the fake shutter actuation click. I hate clicking when on the menus, but still want to hear the fake click of the shutter when I push the shutter button. But it's both or none. On the X100, they were separate controls. But on the X10, for whatever reason, aaarghh!!

I hate to be argumentative, but no they're not. There's a menu item for "operation volume" and an item for "shutter volume" and yet another for "shutter sound". You can turn off all of the other pops and clicks and beeps and still have your choice of shutter sounds and the volume of the once you choose. I pretty much always keep everything turned off, but there are any number of options here.

-Ray

No worries at all Ray. You are not being argumentative. Maybe I missed something. Going to check right now.

Just checked it and you are right 100%. And I now remember what my gripe was REALLY about ...

My REAL gripe is about having the shutter click sound and being forced to have the focus confirmation sound!! I don't want to hear the rather loud focus confirmation beep, but I do like to hear the click.

My apologies to everyone for the brain freeze moment. I'm going to delete my erroneous gripe above.

Back