Fuji X10 Lens Hood Or protective filter?

Jimbo70

Regular
I am waiting for the X20, but those of you with the X10 do you prefer the Lens Hood without a protective filter or no hood with a quality protective filter? I'm concerned that not using one or the other leaves the lens vulnerable to scratches etc. What about flare without a hood? I always used a lens hood when I had DSLRs.

You need the hood to get the filter mount anyway (unless you wan to kludge something else together), so I'd get the hood (but a cheaper version of it like the one from JJC) and the filter mount and leave the filter on all the time and keep the hood on or off depending on circumstances...

-Ray

The marumi filter is made of optical glass, not plastic, and it does just fine. One problem with the lens hood solution is that the lens already protrudes into the optical viewfinder. Get a vented hood if you go that route.

I'm generally not a filter user, but the second X10 I purchased (used) came with the Fuji lens hood + filter, so I gave it a whirl. I really enjoy it this way. No worries about the lens cap getting lost or the lens getting banged around. For the way I use the camera it really works for me.

Last spring I bought that 40 mm filter from 2filter. I've been very happy with it. I also have the hood/filter combo - two of them as one filter (the ND or the polarizing one) is now permanently attached to the adapter ring. Anyway, the X10 is pretty rugged and I usually use a neoprene wrap "case" and toss in in my purse. For cycling and travel, I used a BlackRapid case that attached to the camera strap (I forget what it is called) but it keeps the camera protected and then you just slide the camera out when you want to take pictures.
Anyway, the only reason for the hood/filter was because I had trip to Iceland and Greenland in June and had wanted to be able to stop down a bit more. I didn't use the filters very often and when I didn't need them just relied on the Marumi filter on the camera.

I tried it both ways: I WAY prefer running the Marumi clear in 40mm and an 'empty' Fuji lenshood, than using the lenshood with a 52mm installed in it. The lens cap slips over the installed 40mm just fine as well. I can find no degradation with the Marumi installed, and 2Filter is great to deal with.

Back