Fuji X10 over X100 for me, ode to the little gem

nianys

Veteran
A long time Fuji user, I've also shot m4/3 and NEX cameras this past year (coming from an APS-C and FF DSLR background, and film before that, yes, I'm that old !).
I got to play with a friend's X100 shortly after acquiring my own X10 (NEX 7 being my main camera at the moment).

9dcad3af73f1092c61f2d32ea5398989_ed1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I won't argue the X100 is capable of producing wonderful rich, detailed files. But at what cost ! The usability is close to nil for the average user who doesn't fancy being slave to a capricious diva camera... OTOH, the little X10 works wonderfully in any condition, acquiring focus in a decently snappy and reliable fashion, handling exposure challenges with grace and even shooting good enough video clips for family use.

a3720f7bab33886a81d3f283e0775281_622.jpg

(here any low-key, grainy component is intentional)

The X10 maybe be a compact camera by facts, but by its output it's much closer to m4/3 bodies. The 28-112 equivalent zoom range is totally useful and the bright F2-2.8 sharp lens is godsend.

45d5b536005121ac273a77aeca8f12a3_659.jpg

0b60b2253635310202a450d0de863d2c_3c9.jpg

6c45f8aaf7cf0cb9d1f28616332926d7_7f8.jpg

8e1e86f050c478446e37c05e5d0417f8_7f8.jpg

I'm a serial camera switcher, but the X10 is gonna be the exception, as was the little S90 before it. I've chosen it as sole camera on the French Alps trip we're taking right now, and don't plan on bringing anything else to Venise next March. I'm not settling for second best, either. I do believe it to be the best travel companion available today.

the little X10 works wonderfully in any condition, acquiring focus in a decently snappy and reliable fashion.

If mine had been like this, I would still own it. Focus was far too unreliable. However, reading the experiences of other x10 owners, it seems that I must have had a bad one.:(

The X10 maybe be a compact camera by facts, but by its output it's much closer to m4/3 bodies. The 28-112 equivalent zoom range is totally useful and the bright F2-2.8 sharp lens is godsend.

I would agree with this. I really enjoyed using mine... EXCEPT when the focus misbehaved.

Despite my troubles with the x10 - and despite the fact that I can't justify another camera - I'm very interested in the x20.;)

If mine had been like this, I would still own it. Focus was far too unreliable. However, reading the experiences of other x10 owners, it seems that I must have had a bad one.:(

I would agree with this. I really enjoyed using mine... EXCEPT when the focus misbehaved.

Despite my troubles with the x10 - and despite the fact that I can't justify another camera - I'm very interested in the x20.;)

It may have been a bad sample. I have been quite pleased at how well the AF works on the X10. In fact, I would say that the reliability of the AF i sone of its strong points. I wonder if the version 2.0 firmware had something to do with that?

Hey, there's a giant orb in the fourth image! Did you have yours serviced? Just kidding. :p Nice work.

Lol. It's a very recent unit, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. But your comment still had my heart missing a beat, until I saw the smiley !

It may have been a bad sample. I have been quite pleased at how well the AF works on the X10. In fact, I would say that the reliability of the AF i sone of its strong points. I wonder if the version 2.0 firmware had something to do with that?

Yes, it looks increasingly likely that I had a bad sample. Mine had been updated to firmware version 2.0, but the focus problems did not improve as a result.

Oh well, perhaps I should start saving for an x20...;)(y)

Yes, it looks increasingly likely that I had a bad sample. Mine had been updated to firmware version 2.0, but the focus problems did not improve as a result.

Oh well, perhaps I should start saving for an x20...;)(y)

Just grab another mint X10 since the prices are dropping in anticipation of the X20... Can't get a bad apple twice.

I would try out a X20 before you buy one if possible. What I consider acceptable AF may not be the same as what you consider acceptable. When I was an m43 user I found the AF using the Olympus 45/1.8 was just not to my liking. I had three of them and they all worked the same yet tons of folks never seem to have an issue with them. So while I find the AF on the X10 just fine it may never meet your needs.

Great shots! I love the X10, auto-focus isn't perfect but for me it is pretty good, definitely much better than the S90 I also have.

Ah, to be skiing in the French alps!!!

I was never interested at all in the X10/20 until I came here and so so many people posting about it. . . I need to hide my wallet somewhere.

Why not both? I have and love the X10 and plan on getting an X100 as the used prices drop with the announcement of the X100S. Our criteria for usability are so personal that I suspect I won't have an issue with auto-focus with the lates firmware installed. I've found most of the cameras roundly critcized for slow focus or bad low light focus were perfectly acceptable to my style of shooting. Of course X100S with its phase detect, on-sensor components would be preferable and faster, but I think the affordable X100 will do just fine.

None of which is to belittle the X10. I love it and use it constantly, as it is the one camera that is almost always with me.

My X10 has just been repaired as it had started frequently showing "Focus error" when switched on, rendering the camera completely unusable. They replaced the lens unit, and since then the focus appears to have been much better (more accurate and more able to get a focus lock). The lens barrel is also not wobbly like it was before the repair. So poor focus in good light could possibly be good enough reason to send it in for service...

Nice shots by the way; they really show what you can do with this little beauty, given some skill and good subjects!

Back