Fuji X10 OVF - how hard to knock out of alignment?

The_Prof

Rookie
Greetings!

I picked up an X1 more or less on a whim when my local MicroCenter closed out the display model, and so far am liking it a lot more than I was expecting; it fits the hand nicely, controls are mostly easy to access, and I've gotten some really nice pics out of it.

One problem I did run into, though, is that the optical viewfinder was out of focus over most of its range, sometimes badly out of focus. Called Fuji support and had no problems getting it sent in for repair; just got it back yesterday, and everything seems to be working fine.

The Fuji service rep recognized the problem immediately; apparently it's caused when a couple of screws coupling the viewfinder lenses to the main camera lens come disconnected. He speculated that it might have happened when the camera was knocked around while it was on display, although I couldn't see any signs of damage externally; the camera was very clean, no scrapes or scuffs.

Which brings me to my question; if the service rep thought the OVF could be damaged that way, anyone have an idea how sensitive it is to camera knocks/shakes? I expect its normal carry mode will be a padded pocket on my laptop bag, but I'd like some idea how careful I'll need to be.

It appears to be pretty sturdy to me. Mine goes out on my hip in a little fitted case attached to my belt. Before that it just went into an oversized pocket, and I've had no problem with anything being jogged out of alignment. Hopefully it's a singular event that won't reoccur.

It appears to be pretty sturdy to me. Mine goes out on my hip in a little fitted case attached to my belt. Before that it just went into an oversized pocket, and I've had no problem with anything being jogged out of alignment. Hopefully it's a singular event that won't reoccur.

I hope so; it certainly seems like a sturdy camera otherwise, very well-built.

(I don't have a fitted case, but I do have a couple of 'generic' padded camera cases that should be a close match.)

Back