Fuji X10 Raw files in Lightroom

ChrisB

Hi everybody,

Has anyone figured out how to get Raw files to display properly in Lightroom?

Currently, depending on variables such as focal length and distance to subject, I have found that there is a marked difference between how Jpeg and Raw files are rendered. Not so much as in colour, contrast and exposure, which is to be expected to a degree, but rather that the Raw files often appear stretched horizontally (when shot in landscape format), along with what appears to be some barrel distortion in the centre of the frame.

I appreciate that there is some lens distortion correction happening in the Jpegs but I'm actually losing the edges from my Raw files, which seems counter intuitive. Is there a workaround; does this happen in other Raw converters?

Thanks,

Chris

The camera's converter is compressing the image to preserve more of it (it's a compromise some don't like), LR is using the correct lens correction, hence losing more of the image in the process.

Is this a function of Lightroom or the X10?

Any lens profiling options that are available in Lightroom are deselected; is this phenomenon mirrored in other converters, for example, Aperture or Capture One?

This seems contrary to the basic premise of Raw files.

Capture One permits removal of any lens correction in RAW files, and I think a few other converters do as well.

Is this a function of Lightroom or the X10?

Any lens profiling options that are available in Lightroom are deselected; is this phenomenon mirrored in other converters, for example, Aperture or Capture One?

This seems contrary to the basic premise of Raw files.

Like most converters, LR is using EXIF metadata.

RPP and other shareware converters don't correct, yielding pretty unusable results that need full manual correction in order to look okay. It totally depends on the focal length of the shot. Of course, those converters may each have sever problems with the EXR sensor. Most of them are cheating.

Back