Fuji X10 Sensor change - UK

nippa

Top Veteran
Name
Dennis
This morning Fuji UK sent this email message:

.....I am very happy to announce that we now have these parts in stock and we can upgrade
your camera as soon as you are able to do without it for a short while.

You will shortly receive some pre-paid packaging with instructions on how
to send your camera to our service centre securely and free of charge........

Credit to them for putting things right and , of course , I'll be up there for the X10's replacement whenever!

That's great to know and thanks so much for keeping us all up-to-date. Sometimes after one calls, gives their email, etc., one wonders...so this is good news, indeed!

Just received my return pre-paid package from Fuji with a promise that it would take about a week to turn around.
It contained one excellent padded box and a Royal Mail pre-paid Special Delivery Bag.
I'll send it back on Wednesday (Monday and Tuesday are holidays in the UK) so I should get it back in good time for a wedding in July.

My camera has been returned so that's a quick turn round in 3 working days.
A new sensor has been fitted but just by looking I can't say if that included the lens although I've gained an extra lens cap.
Just taken these three impossible shots trying to get unacceptable blooming ; what a difference from the old sensor.

DSCF3806.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF3805.jpg

DSCF3804.jpg

All at ISO 100 and F2.0/2.5 - overexposed and poorly focused I know!
Otherwise everything looks just the same including DR. This was P mode DR400...

DSCF3811.jpg

Nice job Fuji.

Just chased mine. Had the email acknowledgement that it was in the workshop six days ago. I go on holiday in a couple of weeks so am keen to get it back in plenty of time... don't want anything last-minute or worse - bouncing around the UK postal system... :(

Just chased mine. Had the email acknowledgement that it was in the workshop six days ago. I go on holiday in a couple of weeks so am keen to get it back in plenty of time... don't want anything last-minute or worse - bouncing around the UK postal system... :(
I'm sure that it won't be far behind mine - actually delivered by City-Link - you'll get a mail when it's despatched.

Go for it BB ; it seems to be a big improvement.

Dennis, if you have the chance, I'd love to see a couple of night shots with approaching headlight, street lamps, etc. that always seemed to be the acid test with the original sensor. If this is really as "fixed" as early indications, I may even re-buy one of these someday. Gotta wait and see what else is coming down the pike from Pany, Samsing, etc, in the wake of the new Sony though.

-Ray

Nippa,

Could you check the serial number? Is is the same as before? I'm curious, because the US has decided to swap whole cameras.

After reading the email sent by Fuji US what interests me is that Fuji US are not handling things like their UK counterparts.
A camera with a 21 serial ( as I understand it ) is made in year 2 and in the first quarter so that is before Fuji announced availability of the new sensor.
Over here I got my old camera back with a written assurance that the new sensor had been fitted.

The sensor's handling of bright lights is very different so a few night shots should confirm things for you.

Ray I'll try some night shots but it's not dark here until 10pm.

Got my confirmation from Edison repair facility that my camera arrived Friday and is in the queue. They target 10 business days to compete repairs; countdown in progress!

After reading the email sent by Fuji US what interests me is that Fuji US are not handling things like their UK counterparts.
A camera with a 21 serial ( as I understand it ) is made in year 2 and in the first quarter so that is before Fuji announced availability of the new sensor.
Over here I got my old camera back with a written assurance that the new sensor had been fitted.

The sensor's handling of bright lights is very different so a few night shots should confirm things for you.

Ray I'll try some night shots but it's not dark here until 10pm.

I'm curious because my service invoice from Fuji US said, under remarks, "SWSM -Blooming Issue, Lens Cap Incl. NO POP, Camera exchanged, New SER# 21A . . .". I assume if they swapped the cameras the new one would have the new sensor. It wouldn't make a lot of sense otherwise. It's funny how we're all getting slightly different messages from each country's local Fuji group.

I'm curious because my service invoice from Fuji US said, under remarks, "SWSM -Blooming Issue, Lens Cap Incl. NO POP, Camera exchanged, New SER# 21A . . .". I assume if they swapped the cameras the new one would have the new sensor. It wouldn't make a lot of sense otherwise. It's funny how we're all getting slightly different messages from each country's local Fuji group.

Looking from your photos, it seems plainly obvious that you have a new sensor. With the new serial number, at least you have confirmation that they replaced the body. Mine will arrive in NJ this Thursday. I hope I get the same results that you have posted.

I am pretty sure I have a new sensor. I'm just curious (literally) why some places are supposedly sensor swapping and other swapping the whole camera. Also, there has been some speculation about whether the 1st quarter X10s (the SN begins with 21) have the new sensor. My pictures show to me there is new sensor in there. Either that or the DPR delta force missed the problem with the E-PL1.:eek: which apparently has the same amount of orbing as the X10.

My attempts at night photography didn't amount to much.
It's mid-summer here and this was taken at 11pm with a 13 second exposure f2 ISO 100

DSCF3841_Snapseed.jpg

Indoors these Halogen lamps came out well enough ; again at f2 ISO 100 to encourage the orbs

DSCF3844_Snapseed.jpg

If the X10 is used normally it really looks like Orbs are a thing of the past.
No more testing I'm a happy bunny now.

My attempts at night photography didn't amount to much.
It's mid-summer here and this was taken at 11pm with a 13 second exposure f2 ISO 100

DSCF3841_Snapseed.jpg

Indoors these Halogen lamps came out well enough ; again at f2 ISO 100 to encourage the orbs

DSCF3844_Snapseed.jpg

If the X10 is used normally it really looks like Orbs are a thing of the past.
No more testing I'm a happy bunny now.

I just recieved a FEDEX notification that my camera was delivered 2 days early than expected. I am waiting for Fuji's email notification to see how fast they can turn it around. I like that you are pleased with the new sensor. I know you had doubts before the sensor upgrade.

Back