Fuji X10 v. X100 v. GRD IV

Might be a good idea to start a new thread for all those questions (or maybe a mod can split this off as a new one?) , as they're not strictly related to ziggy's thread and will likely need some lengthy responses! (although some googling and wiki-ing will probably provide many of the answers sought to begin with, and sister-site mu-43.com is also a very good place for micro4/3 info)

Hate to just jump in here but I only have time to say this - the manual focus on the X10 is notoriously horrible.

As with the X100 and GRD series, its horrible if you're trying to use manual focus to critically focus on a specific detail. But for zone focussing, its not horrible at all. Its as good as the GRD3/4 except that it doesn't have the snap focus shortcut. But I shot a ton of street shots using zone focussing with the manual focus on the X10 - not even remotely horrible.

-Ray

Well, I decided. I went for the Sony NEX-5n. I realize my earlier and quick dismissal was quite foolish, indeed. This camera clearly does what I want better than anything else out there right now. It shipped today!

Here's yet another comparison question, but hopefully an interesting one.

I have been a GRDII user for several years now, and am a firm supporter of this series of cameras. I don't dislike much of anything about the camera, but with a crack in the screen, and messed up focus issues, I may be in the market to replace the beloved little one.

I've spent a fair part of the day doing some research, as I don't often prowl camera news and reviews, and I'm intrigued by the Fuji X10 and X100, although ordinarily I wouldn't look far beyond the GRD line, or in this case, the GRD IV (or even III).

Let me start off by describing my needs in a camera:

• Manual shooting options -- I need to have customization, and ideally, that customization should happen easily and quickly.
  • Zoom lens? Don't really care for it. I rather have a fast, sharp wide lens -- in this case, the X10 does not post any extra benefit with its zoom lens. I am fine with having a fixed lens.
  • Small -- the smaller, the better, generally speaking. A pocketable camera is preferable, but not a deal breaker. I used to shoot with Bess rangefinders (heavy in comparison to most compact digitals), and actually, the aesthetics of the X100 appeal to me because it reminds me of my Bessa. Really, though, the size of any of these three cameras is fine. Generally speaking, I prefer discreet and silent shooting.
  • Video quality: believe it or not, I am hoping to have a still camera with decent video quality. It would be great to be able to shoot short HD clips to use for my business ventures (promoting natural building practices)... The GRDII (my current camera) does nothing for me in the video department. It looks like the GRD IV is lacking there as well.
  • Cost: Damn... the X100 is pretty much the max of what I can afford, if not beyond what I can afford. The price tag is a pretty big drawback for me, and that's actually why I've included the X10 in this comparison.

Let's summarize.

I want a compact, manual feature-rich camera that is discreet, with excellent image quality, and has a respectable video option. Ideally, the camera cost NOT be $1000+, but if there is some compelling reason to pursue the X100 (good video quality?), I might be able to make it work.

I nearly exclusively shoot with manual focus, so it's important that the MF be intuitive and relatively quick to operate.

A quality VF is appealing to me, and actually something I miss with my current GRDII. I don't want to depend exclusively on the LCD screen, although to be honest, it's what I end up using most of the time anyway.

That about sums it up. Thoughts?

By the way, you can view my photo work here: Flickr: ziggy fresh's Photostream

Thank you for your time.

If manual focusing is your thing the X10 and the X100 will disappoint you, I'm afraid...Even with the latest 1.20 firmware just released for the X100 which improved the never-ending long-throw of the manual focusing might not be to your liking. Everything else is great - superb IQ on the X100 and, comparatively, excellent IQ on the X10, build quality, manual controls, decent video. But make sure you pop into a store and check how the manual focusing suits you.

Hey Ziggy. I have a bit of a different take on this. I went through your flickr site and found that like me you end up shooting interior pics in tight spaces. IMO you would need a camera with a wide angle lens. I'm with Ray on the suggestion of getting an LX5. The prices on Amazon are really great value. Here's a picture I took with the LX5 wide open at 24mm

6652616189_06dba6ba10_b.jpg

For video, I would suggest the Sony HX9V. This camera shoots better video than any PS camera out there, with great IS at full HD. Here are a couple of videographers talking about the vdeo capabilities of this camera -

[video=youtube;sYqbnBs_uAY]

Panasonic LX5 - 345$
Sony HX9v - 220$

Total cost - 565$ ... and you meet your requirements at a better price than any single camera you have listed.

Best of luck!

• Manual shooting options -- I need to have customization, and ideally, that customization should happen easily and quickly.
  • Zoom lens? Don't really care for it. I rather have a fast, sharp wide lens -- in this case, the X10 does not post any extra benefit with its zoom lens. I am fine with having a fixed lens.
  • Small -- the smaller, the better, generally speaking. A pocketable camera is preferable, but not a deal breaker. I used to shoot with Bess rangefinders (heavy in comparison to most compact digitals), and actually, the aesthetics of the X100 appeal to me because it reminds me of my Bessa. Really, though, the size of any of these three cameras is fine. Generally speaking, I prefer discreet and silent shooting.
  • Video quality: believe it or not, I am hoping to have a still camera with decent video quality. It would be great to be able to shoot short HD clips to use for my business ventures (promoting natural building practices)... The GRDII (my current camera) does nothing for me in the video department. It looks like the GRD IV is lacking there as well.
  • Cost: Damn... the X100 is pretty much the max of what I can afford, if not beyond what I can afford. The price tag is a pretty big drawback for me, and that's actually why I've included the X10 in this comparison.

Let's summarize.

I want a compact, manual feature-rich camera that is discreet, with excellent image quality, and has a respectable video option. Ideally, the camera cost NOT be $1000+, but if there is some compelling reason to pursue the X100 (good video quality?), I might be able to make it work.

I nearly exclusively shoot with manual focus, so it's important that the MF be intuitive and relatively quick to operate.

A quality VF is appealing to me, and actually something I miss with my current GRDII. I don't want to depend exclusively on the LCD screen, although to be honest, it's what I end up using most of the time anyway.

I have the X10, X100 and GRD III. The video quality of the X10 is far and away the best of the lot. It has face recognition and decent AF speed during recording, and playback is smooth and the colours are great. The GRD III has TERRIBLE video quality. It's grainy, jerky and the audio quality sound like the camera is muffled in a wet sock. The X10 has really decent sound as well. It's my go-to camera for recording family and friends, and I have even used it for a couple of spots for work. The X100 is decent but the AF is not the best. Nor does it have face recognition, which is a must for when you're shooting people.

The GRD series, however, is almost infinitely customizable, as you know. The X100 is reasonably customizable, and with the shutter dial and shutter dial it has a much better 'manual feel' to it. Setting aperture is a snap and you can see exactly where it is whether it is on or off.

The X100 is the most quiet camera I have ever shot, and I've used heaps. The X10 is the second quietest camera I've shot. The GRD is surprisingly louder. Not loud, but just has that lens extension noise and AF zipping sound. The X100 and X10 are incredibly quiet and discreet. I shot some photos of a work colleague over his desk with the X100; normally he'd notice, being a camera buff himself. But the X100 was so quiet that he didn't notice at all.

As I have been shooting with primes for the last couple of years, it was a pleasant surprise to use a manual zoom with the X10. I was able shoot in concerts and other venues which wouldn't have ended up that well with a wide angle prime.

The GRD is the smallest camera, and if you are happy with earlier generations I am sure you'd be happy with the IV. The X10 is bigger, has a zoom, but also has quite satisfying image quality. The jpeg colour balance is so good that I shoot jpegs with it, rather than my normal practice of raw. And the X100 has the best image quality, usability and overall feel.

Regarding the Ricoh GXR: while it is a super camera and one of my favourites, it is also considerably louder than the X series cams. Certainly not like the Panasonic or Olympus m43 cameras, but definitely loud enough to be noticed in a silent art gallery. The X10 can shoot in those conditions, and the X100 surely could as well. Before getting my X10, I used the GRD III for art gallery duties.

Sorry if I can't give you any specific recommendations, but I can only convey my experiences with these cameras.

Back