Fuji X10 works really well with LR 4.4

Here's a comparison of OOC JPEG, LR5 default processing of the RAF, and Picasa processing the RAF with just sharpening applied:

OOC:
8957389307_c48f845448_b.jpg

DSCF1489 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
Lightroom 5:
8958597754_998e92596a_b.jpg

DSCF1489-1 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
8957393227_ce07a890ce_b.jpg

DSCF1489_pic by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

There is obviously a bit of lens correction missing in the Picasa treatment, but I prefer it overall to the LR5 handling...what do people think?

I think Picasa doesn't support EXR, probably just another DCRAW based conversion (or maybe Apple Camera RAW 4.05 based). Apple removed all EXR camera support in Camera RAW 4.06, anyway.

Of course, default processing is irrelevant when it comes to comparing external converters. It's all about what you can extract from the RAWs with the right settings (and how difficult it is to get there).

Digging the grain/film feel in the 2nd/3rd shots. =)

That's an interesting observation, as I only put grain (obviously) in shot number 2. Number 3 just shows the natural noise of the camera in Lightroom, which does indeed look quite organic and can be confused with analog film grain. I rarely use any noise reduction with my X cameras in Lightroom, at any ISO. I simply don't need it. Of course, my deliberate choice of colors and gradation contributes to the analog look, so one certainly expects to see nice grain, not ugly noise.

Thank you Rico for this post. Those PPd X10 RAF's look amazing. As an X10 user/jpeg shooter who simply hasn't the time to spend perfecting raw files, this is a compelling case to do so and make time for Lightroom. I've been searching the Internet for all the SOOC jpegs I can find from the new X30, but so far have not been overly impressed compared to what I can get from my X10. In terms of handling though, the X30 appears to have nailed it. I suppose now the thing to do is start playing with RAFs from the two cameras.

Back