X10/X20 Fashion Portraiture

Fun (and extremely chilly) shoot with Parisian beauty Daphne E. in Central Park today:

X10
View attachment 11012
Untitled by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr
View attachment 11013
View attachment 11014
View attachment 11015
View attachment 11016
View attachment 11017
View attachment 11018
View attachment 11019

In good light, it's absolutely shocking the kind of images the X10 can pull off in 6mp DR400 mode. Also, I was hoping to have my X100s by today to test it out for this shoot... didn't happen. I still shot most of the day at 35mm equiv. :)

I really enjoy your work with the X10... you're clearly a talented & skilled photographer, but the great subjects you have to work with certainly doesn't hurt!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the X100S too, but I gotta say I'd be thrilled with the images you've posted here regardless of camera used :2thumbs:

I am beginning to understand where your nickname comes from: ;)

1. you are in reality a famous fashion photographer (the iconic part).
2. you are having great fun about us thinking that you are taking these nice shots with a PS camera without further lighting aids (the sardonic part).

haha.

Seriously, as said: great shots!

My X100s arrived this morning, but was just before I jumped on the subway for this shoot. I was hoping to have it in my hands for this editorial, but it will have to wait for next time. My team and I put this shoot together for submissions, so I did primarily use my D800. I squeezed in some X10 images for a few of the looks. :)

View attachment 11174
View attachment 11176
View attachment 11178
View attachment 11180
View attachment 11182

Sadly, this last set is the swan song for my X10... I've already sold it since getting my X100S this week. Owning it has been a remarkable experience though, one that has really pushed me creatively and caused me to get back to the basics of strong portraiture. Thanks for all the support, guys! :)

I think we have to thank you for sharing your work with us!
Hopefully you will continue sharing photos that help us become better amateur photographers. Workshops would be equally appreciated, of course. ;-)
Peter

Sadly, this last set is the swan song for my X10... I've already sold it since getting my X100S this week. Owning it has been a remarkable experience though, one that has really pushed me creatively and caused me to get back to the basics of strong portraiture. Thanks for all the support, guys! :)

The quality of your X10 photos showed what that small camera was capable of producing in the right hands. You set the bar very high with the results you could get out of that (relatively) small sensor in ambient light. Even if you can accomplish much more with the X100S, it will never seem to be such a miracle of talent! Your terrific work was a big factor in convincing me that the X20 would be a worthwhile tool in the bag, so thank you and thanks also to your former X10.

Qeustion for The Sardonic Iconic

Hi,

first, thanks for sharing those amazing photos! inspiring work.

But I do have a question and hope that you're willing to provide me with an answer her...
my reason for asking: In my over 20 years of photography I have mostly used larger SLRs later middle sized DSLRs (D200, D300)... lots of prime lenses, etc.
As of recent I've mostly ventured into street / travel documentary style photography and portraitures.
However I have been very reluctant in lugging the big gear around, especially when travelling (I like to travel light).
Got myself a m4/3 Oly E-PL3... and for the portraits mostly use the 45mm f/1.8 but the lack of ANY viewfinder (and with the stick on thing it's "huge") has been a bit off putting, same with the lack of good direct external controls.
Then I saw the X20 - and it looks like it does everything in a minuscule body.

however the one thing I often like to work with is to use larger apertures mostly for subject to background isolation. I'm not that much of a freak for bokeh - but a certain amount of out-of-focus control would be desirable - as I rarely shoot at a studio.

well I'm a tad concerned that the X20 couldn't deliver on this... until I found this:

now the question: this was taken with the X10?? what focal length & what aperture was used? any other "specials"? or special postproduction?

Thanks!

(copied from your previous posts)
View attachment 1949

Attachments

• 8558523844_9004475795_h.jpg
    8558523844_9004475795_h.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 358
Hi,

first, thanks for sharing those amazing photos! inspiring work.

But I do have a question and hope that you're willing to provide me with an answer her...
my reason for asking: In my over 20 years of photography I have mostly used larger SLRs later middle sized DSLRs (D200, D300)... lots of prime lenses, etc.
As of recent I've mostly ventured into street / travel documentary style photography and portraitures.
However I have been very reluctant in lugging the big gear around, especially when travelling (I like to travel light).
Got myself a m4/3 Oly E-PL3... and for the portraits mostly use the 45mm f/1.8 but the lack of ANY viewfinder (and with the stick on thing it's "huge") has been a bit off putting, same with the lack of good direct external controls.
Then I saw the X20 - and it looks like it does everything in a minuscule body.

however the one thing I often like to work with is to use larger apertures mostly for subject to background isolation. I'm not that much of a freak for bokeh - but a certain amount of out-of-focus control would be desirable - as I rarely shoot at a studio.

well I'm a tad concerned that the X20 couldn't deliver on this... until I found this:

now the question: this was taken with the X10?? what focal length & what aperture was used? any other "specials"? or special postproduction?

Thanks!

(copied from your previous posts)
View attachment 1949

Hey there, I shot this with my X10, probably at the 112mm equivalent at F2.8... Considering the X20 has the same sensor size and same lens, you'd get pretty much the same results from it.

Nothing in post except a b&w conversion and curves adjust.

I felt bad hi-jacking the awesome "Beautiful Women (Feminine Beauty)" thread by taz, so I'll be updating here from now on. If there are any other fashion photographers on these forums, I would love to see more samples of the X10 (and soon the X20) used in this application. With the release of Lightroom 4.4 with improved X-Trans support, I myself am pretty confident that I'll be swinging by B&H when the X20 is released as long as dynamic range at ISO100 is at least the same or (hopefully) improved.

View attachment 17290
View attachment 17291

As per forum guidelines, I didn't post any NSFW images, but the remainder of this set can be seen on my flickr.

Hi, all photos are excellent! Can I ask a question? How do you give refraction effects in the corners?

I’ve seen better fashion photographs but I’ve never seen a photographer who takes great fashion photographs using x10/100 before. You inspired me.

Back