Fuji X10/X20 Neutral Density Filter Question

link0000

Rookie
Hi All,

I'm waiting for my X20 to arrive.

Someone recommended to get a 0.9 (3-stop) Neutral Density Filter to compensate the relative slow shutter speed (1/1000 second) when the aperture is wide open when shooting under bright daylight. Now I can only find 40.5mm NDFs online. So, the question is for X10 owners, do you have any experience on fitting NDFs to your camera? Does 40.5mm fit, or do I have to get a 52mm adapter and filter?

Thanks!

Max shutter speed varies with aperture. "1/4000sec. at small aperture, 1/1000sec. at full aperture" from that link.

Right the leaf shutter cannot close, and open to the wide aperture at 1/4000 of a second, but does not have to travel as far to open to a smaller aperture. It seems counter-intuitive, since one needs those faster speed most when shooting wide open. Thus the ND filter.

I was thinking about that, too -- is it only 1/1000 wide open and 1/4000 immediately after first stop down. Is it variable, depending on aperture?

Also, shouldn't they include a built in ND filter, given the ss limitations wide open?

I don't know about the intermediate speeds, as the issue has not come up for me that often.

Yes, I think they should build in an ND filter, like the XZ-1 does. It would be very useful.

That said, I should add that if I win the one here I'll find a way to work around the lack of built in ND, as I have with the X10.:rolleyes:

Right the leaf shutter cannot close, and open to the wide aperture at 1/4000 of a second, but does not have to travel as far to open to a smaller aperture. It seems counter-intuitive, since one needs those faster speed most when shooting wide open. Thus the ND filter.

I didn't know it was a leaf shutter, thanks!

Back