Fuji X100 at 4000 ISO - JPEGS - Wow

Iansky

All-Pro
Well, I managed to collect my X100 today (a few days early) - charged the battery and went into town to collect my wife, it was dark so I needed to bump the ISO up to 4000 yes 4000 and shot these in JPEG, minimal editing.

I can honestly say I am astounded with the quality as I usually only shoot Raw but after many posts on here, thought I would try and I am glad I did.

The camera is smaller & lighter than I thought and I do like the shade & case - nice leather just hope it softens so I can close it with the adapter & filter in place.

I do want to get a screen protector for it and have used GGS in the past but they don't make a X100 version - any suggestions for a good one?

Anyway, here are the 4 images from this evenings trip out (did pick up the EF20 flash as part of the trade but not tried it yet).

Want to give it a run in daylight.

Italian_Coffee.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pasty.jpg

Market_stalls.jpg

The_Bike_shop.jpg

Hi drd1135,

Thanks - must point out that the ISO was 4000 not 400..............couldn't have got analogue images like these at 4000 ASA so pretty impressed to say the least.

Its an amazing camera Ian and perfect for the kind of work you do and the way it sounds like you shoot. You're gonna have to use the grain engine in Silver Efex Pro if you want to get the gritty look of some of your gf1 shots because the X100 tends to produce amazingly clean images, as you're already seeing even at ISO 4000. I generally set mine to top out at 3200, but I should probably experiment going higher because it does SO well at 3200, it makes sense it has capabilities beyond there too. Oh, and you might have to discipline yourself to keep shooting B&W, because the colors are really intoxicating...

I know you're gonna love this camera. I hope you don't get hit with the sticky aperture blade problem, but if you do, it sounds like Fuji has finally found the cure, so you should be down to only one repair rather than the multiple repairs a few poor souls have had to deal with. Me, I've been lucky - I've had mine since mid-April with zero problems.

I look forward to see ing more of your work with this camera.

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestions, my camera was only received from Fuji yesterday into store and it came with the latest 1.11 software already installed so I will keep my fingers crossed that it is one produced following the "fix".

I agree, the images I shot tonight I did so at the Velvia setting as it was one of my favourite slide films of old - I am looking forwards to seeing how they look after a trip through Silver Efex Pro and expect much better / cleaner images than those from my GF1.

I got the X100 primarily to use for Street / Landscape!
No issues with AF central spot either.

FWIW, I've stuck with jpegs on this camera also, despite shooting raw with almost everything else. I also love the deep Velvia colors when shooting for color but often will switch to Astia when I'm intending to process for B&W because it seems to leave a bit more latitude in the jpegs for processing. When you're shooting in decent light, its also a nice trick to leave the camera in Auto ISO with a max of 3200 (as high as it goes in Auto) and also put the DR setting to auto and it does a pretty nice job with dynamic range when you trust it with both of those settings in Auto. But, just play around with it - you'll find what works for you. But like jpegs, this was also the first camera I trusted with Auto ISO and have been really happy with it. Although I just went with the auto 3200 when I shot a holiday parade last weekend (https://www.photographerslounge.org/f21/holiday-parade-x100-5101/) and should have probably gone manual with the ISO and bumped it up to 4000 or even a bit higher. The shutter speeds at 3200 were generally workable but often times pretty marginal and bumping the ISO a bit more would have been a good idea on several of the shots. So, thanks for the reminder - there are times when taking back control of the ISO is a smart move...

-Ray

Now you know why some of us are still in love with our X100s, Ian. I've even gone as high as 6400 and been extremely pleased. Unlike Ray, I haven't used the jpegs much...but keep saying I should try both again. I find the RAW files very nice to look at... Either way, it's pretty hard to go wrong.:friends:

Can't wait to see how you continue on with your new camera!

...I generally set mine to top out at 3200, but I should probably experiment going higher...

Hi!
Just got my x100 too... :)
Great tool. Auto iso with minimum shutter speed and working with preferred iso is... as it should be; so, I can't understand why limiting it at 3200. Perhaps FW 1.2 will patch this little glitch, cause this sensor can easily be used at 6400!!!

It is a well thought camera, it complements my m4/3 exactly where it needs to. And it is refreshingly different.

Alessandro
onreb.tumblr.com

I have to agree with Alessandro, this is a great camera and I am enjoying my road of discovery.

I also still use my GF1 that has been my main "Street" camera for a while but may now be relegated to 2nd fiddle.

I have now also sorted the link to my blogsite so apologies but hope people will now visit my site.

Amazing, Ian! This borders on what the Pentax K-5 is capable of producing at high ISO. I'm sure you're pleased as punch with your X100. Congratulations!

Seems we both have new equipment to wring out .. you with your X100 and me with my GX1.

No pressure Ian but I think we're all quite anxious to seem some B&W images from the X100 when it's in your capable hands.

Amazing, Ian! This borders on what the Pentax K-5 is capable of producing at high ISO. I'm sure you're pleased as punch with your X100. Congratulations!

Seems we both have new equipment to wring out .. you with your X100 and me with my GX1.

No pressure Ian but I think we're all quite anxious to seem some B&W images from the X100 when it's in your capable hands.

Hi Arie,

Thanks for that, interested to know what you think of the GX1 (I have the GF1 that is a brilliant machine)?

Went out today but as usual in UK - Rain stopped play so didn't want to get my new baby wet!!!

I am off for a few days next week so hope for better weather so I can get out and shoot some images and convert to B&W.

Tried posting a couple of images from today but site / server was playing up so have to try again tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing your first set of GX1 images.

Take care,
Ian

Hi Arie,

Thanks for that, interested to know what you think of the GX1 (I have the GF1 that is a brilliant machine)?

Went out today but as usual in UK - Rain stopped play so didn't want to get my new baby wet!!!

I am off for a few days next week so hope for better weather so I can get out and shoot some images and convert to B&W.

Tried posting a couple of images from today but site / server was playing up so have to try again tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing your first set of GX1 images.

Take care,
Ian

Hello Ian,

Indeed .. we both have found that the GF1 is more than capable of some very fine output. I won't hijack your X100 thread with my GX1 findings .. I have posted my observations and some images in the featured post on mu43.com.

I wish you well with your X100; I sincerely hope you have none of the problems some of the other X100 owners have experienced. Very frustrating to have a new camera that needs to "phone home". I think we've both experienced this with our respective M8 bodies.

Yes, weather here has put the brakes on outdoor photography as well.

I look forward to your posting of X100 images (or images from any other camera you are using).

Cheers,
Arie

Thanks Arie,

I am so eager to get out shooting in daylight but will have to wait until later in the week when I am off for a couple of days.

I want to give it a run at some "Street" on Thu so hope to have some images ready to post by the weekend.

Loving it so far, it just feels & looks great and the tactile dials are an ex-analogue photographers dream.........well, for me they are.

Back