Fuji X100 at 4000 ISO - JPEGS - Wow

I'm with you 100% on the dials. I may have become spoiled forever by having the aperture ring.:cloud-9-039: Oh yes, and the amazing OVF/EVF!:drinks:

I do find the aperture ring a little too close to the body but suspect that is because it is a new camera so need time - the OVF is incredible and I love the superimposed info on it - EVF, not used much but definately a plus.

Mine came with the new firmware 1.11 installed and I must say that despite the comments I have read, the AF works fine for me (centre spot - AF-S).

I also have to admit to using this camera in the same way as my GF1, Aperture priority and choosing the ISO manually rather than letting the camera do it for me, I have not yet mustered up the courage to try auto ISO / DR but after the satisfaction of the images at 4000 ISO, I feel confident in setting it up to max out at 3200 as long as it does not default to a higher ISO when lower would suffice - not sure but think I read it does this sometimes?

Going through the learning curve but finding it fairly logical and not too complicated so far and primary functions I may need are quick and easy.

I find the noise reduction by the Fuji JPG engine pretty special. Not that the images at high ISO are noisy - quite the opposite - but sometimes the camera gives you as good result (subject and photographer willing) in JPG as you need. This is Sapphie (of course) taken at ISO 3200, no adjustments other than the crop. Apologies to anyone who has seen my cat photos elsewhere!

6510912157_01f932918f_b.jpg

Lee

I find the noise reduction by the Fuji JPG engine pretty special. Not that the images at high ISO are noisy - quite the opposite - but sometimes the camera gives you as good result (subject and photographer willing) in JPG as you need.
I've actually found that the jpegs give me better NR than I can typically match in raw, with plenty of headroom still available for processing. I can sometimes match the jpeg quality, but I can't say I've ever bettered it, and matching it takes some work and a couple of steps, including running it through Nik Dfine...

Which is why this is the first camera I've shot jpegs rather than raw...

-Ray

I do find the aperture ring a little too close to the body but suspect that is because it is a new camera so need time

100% in agreement with you!!! I'd been thinking that since day 1, but never verbalized it. Glad someone agrees with me. My fingers keep running into the body of the camera when I reach for the aperture tabs. A tab like a Leica M focus tab on the bottom would have been easier to use, especially because the aperture ring is so close to the body.

View from Waterloo Bridge, London

Shot these from the bridge last night in gale force winds. The camera was actually moving! They are iso 3200 1/17 and l/25th I think, or thereabouts. I shot RAF raw and processed in Topaz and LR. I find it really difficult to get rid of that sickly yellow I get in lit night scenes so I chose the Opaline settings in Topaz which I think brings out more detail and gets rid of a lot of the noise.

DSCF1043-Edit-2.jpg

DSCF1044-Edit.jpg

DSCF1045-Edit.jpg

Back