Fuji X100 At The Beach

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
While my beloved XT1 is off for repairs, I'm shooting 35mm film and the good old X100. We took the train and then biked to a nice, remote beach with friends Saturday. The X100 did ok. I miss the T badly, but in all honesty I got enough good shots that I'm happy.

27284128532_d9030266de_b.jpg
DSCF8237
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27284127802_4fc8f78dd9_c.jpg
DSCF8290
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27106452200_2fb8116236_b.jpg
DSCF8321
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27311377451_d05fd03a5b_b.jpg
DSCF8324
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27348512036_1f3b49b785_b.jpg
DSCF8443
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27311374751_698c8c3a40_c.jpg
DSCF8460
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27348511026_18f4b5b827_b.jpg
DSCF8481
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27348508886_fbde0a22e7_b.jpg
DSCF8516
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I mean this in the nicest possible way when I say that this looks like a lifestyle spread in a Sunday supplement. High quality images, well presented. A story told in pictures. Bravo.

Oh wow - thanks, all. I was slightly dreading going on this day trip with "only" the old X100. I still have a strong sentimental bond with it, but the wakeup time, shutter response, buffer lag, smaller & dimmer EVF, high ISO performance, etc etc are all far enough behind the XT1 to really poke at me in use. But I dug in and tried my best, and I've had more positive feedback from people whose opinions I trust than other recent efforts. So, hats off, X100.

And Bill, that's precisely what I was going for. My unofficial, unpaid job is often "travel / lifestyle photographer," so I'm always trying to get better at it. What did it FEEL like to be there?

a great set of photos, Kyle. I'd be beaming if they were mine... for the quality of the photos as well as for the content. You are living your life well and thanks for sharing. And maybe what makes the shots so great is how effortless it all seems. Your wife, your cute little kiddo, the bikes, the friends.....good times at the beach.... it really should be that easy. It was when I was a little kid.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Luke, that means a lot to me. Doing pretty things in scenic places takes a lot of the work out of it, for sure. As long as I see some growth in the pictures I can make in these places, especially when I go BACK to a place 2 or 3 times over the years, then I'm optimistic that I'm not done growing at this yet. When I stop getting better, I feel like I'm more or less done with the hobby, and I fear the equipment gathering dust.

Thanks Luke, that means a lot to me. Doing pretty things in scenic places takes a lot of the work out of it, for sure. As long as I see some growth in the pictures I can make in these places, especially when I go BACK to a place 2 or 3 times over the years, then I'm optimistic that I'm not done growing at this yet. When I stop getting better, I feel like I'm more or less done with the hobby, and I fear the equipment gathering dust.

That's called quitting, Kyle. One day you may very well reach a "plateau", but why should you stop doing what you enjoy..... why should your family suddenly stop having new photos to enjoy in the future. I've quit before in life because I got to the point where I couldn't get any better. It's only created regrets. Just my 2 cents.

That's awesome - I recently got a used X-t1 when I joined team Fuji, and then got an old x-e1 as my backup. I find myself really enjoying shooting with the X-e1 in spite of the better capabilities of the x-t1. Maybe it's all the vintage glass I had on it - I was seriously in retro mode :) great shots sir - love the angles on the bike shot and be happy you have family that lets you tell a story with them - mine all duck or out their hands up - I'm a photographer living in a no-photos household - lol !

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

excellent work. really like #1, the light and colour tone is just right for the scene imo.

I still have thoughts of buying an original X100. I like that sensor and how it renders things.

It's smooth, almost creamy sometimes, with colors, in a way that looks different than the X Trans. I still like shooting with it. I wish it were the X100T in some ways, just for the speed, but mostly it's been a great backup "other" camera.

There are times I wish I hadn't sold my X100. I'm too wishy-washy when it comes to gear, and at the time I was thinking I just had too many cameras. The S, T, and F versions don't appeal to me enough to spring for one . . . and I promised my wife no more camera gear purchases for a long while.

Back