Fuji X100 diopter adjuster

I absolutely love the viewfinder in the X100, and 99% of the time, use it on OVF.

The problem I have is this: I am extremely shortsighted in my left eye, and, unfortunately, I am also "left-eyed" when it comes to using a VF. This has never been a problem with other cameras, but for some godforsaken reason Fuji decided that although the diopter adjuster would go to -3, it would only go to +1.5. Even with my right eye (not easy to switch to different eye, let me tell you!) which is not quite as bad as the left, I'm having issues. That is, I am having to rely entirely on AF and audible beeps to tell me if I am focussed. And sometimes it doesn't work out. Well, often, really :(

I seem to recall that someone else was discussing this in another thread, some time ago, but I can't find the thread and I can't remember who it was.

Does anyone recall if there was a solution to this problem?

Sue, my friend Roger has glasses as thick as coke bottles. Seriously. He had a regular glass contact lens inserted in the exit pupil of the finder. I'm not sure about what diopter he used but it works.

Sue, I started the previous thread. There was no solution that worked for me; had to give up on the X100. Needless to say, I'll study the specs a lot closer before any future purchase. Never had the problem with any of my Canons; really disappointed with Fuji.

Thanks, Don and Chuck.

I had been considering also getting a Fuji Superzoom (the HS20EXR) but found the diopter adjustment in that was inadequate as well. I rather fear that the X10 when it comes will also have a ridiculous imbalance.

I'm finding that although I have enjoyed the X100, and I adore the design, if I can't get a focus properly, theres not a lot of point in persisting. I'm finding that the initial enthusiasm has worn off, and now I am reaching for the K-5 more often than the X100. I have only had half a dozen keepers, of all the shots I have taken. Perhaps I need to do more macro with it, and see how that goes, but for out and about street and beach, its not the camera I want to take, anymore. I took it with me last week when I went on a tour of a local fort, with a friend who was out from the UK, and shot quite a few... just not happy with the results, and it wasn't the settings, it was the focus :(

I think I need to make a decision soon. Its too late to return it, so it will have to be sold if I can't get with the program.

Sue, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I, too, am left eyed and where progressive lenses...have some eyesight issues which I won't bore you with. I use AF and even in low light in a bar with people dancing (mine is always on silent) and didn't have any problems - however one must use their camera in ways that feel right in a personal way. If things continue not to feel right for you, then I am sure someone will want to buy your camera.

You might contact the place where you bought it because they just might buy it back. You never know, if they're in short supply, etc.

Sue, I know I'm from Philly and an admin, so I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box. What I don't get is....just because you can't see 100% in the finder, the camera should still AF anyway.....

LOL! Don I know what you are saying, but I like to know ahead of time that its focusing where I want it to. If I cant see well enough, then I dont know that. I do get focussed shots but often they are focussed on something other than what I wanted. I tried to manual focus (a preference with the K-5) but that is just a disaster.

I dunno. I'm not giving up yet... just wanted to know if there was a solution. I may have to wear my glasses or something and work it out from there.

I'm another dull pencil. Is it that you don't want to use the Auto Focus point/box and can't see it turning green?
Yes, I can see the box, and the green (or red) but I still have this weird desire to see the scene beyond as clearly as I can. The thing is, if I have no need to actually see clearly, then I might as well use the rear screen (which I also cant see clearly) and the OVF/EVF is unnecessary for me. And, given that the OVF/EVF is why I bought the camera in the first place... I just have to wonder if its the right camera for me. I've looked back over the shots I have made, and the only ones I have been happy with (two of tom and three taken of the beach, night train and an old restored building) were all taken with no use of the viewfinder.

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore, I've found out what I needed to. I guess I must be seeming like a complete twit by now, so I'll leave the angst for some other worthy cause.

No you definitely do not seem like a complete twit! Everyone has their own eyes to deal with and if the viewfinder does not allow you to see clearly that's no good. I couldn't live with that and am thankful I don't have that challenge. I'd never have realized that this could happen to someone, Sue, so I really do appreciate your explaining the difficulties you've been having in more detail. Please let us know what you decide to do.

No you definitely do not seem like a complete twit! Everyone has their own eyes to deal with and if the viewfinder does not allow you to see clearly that's no good. I couldn't live with that and am thankful I don't have that challenge. I'd never have realized that this could happen to someone, Sue, so I really do appreciate your explaining the difficulties you've been having in more detail. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Will do. Sadly most of my eye issues are to do with my unstable diabetes. I'm getting control slowly but the long term effects are as yet unknown and my ophthalmologist won't give me a new prescription for my glasses until the diabetes is under control (which makes sense, can't afford to fork out for new specs if my eyes are going to change every couple of months). The glasses I wear are now about 15 years old, and to top it off, I am also becoming longsighted (hence an earlier query in another thread about multifocal specs)... the most hilarious result of which is that I no longer am forced to wear glasses whilst driving (I still do) because I passed the eye test without them on. Doesn't help in the viewfinder so far, though it might, eventually.

Sue, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your health challenges will become less and less an and that things will settle down to become "everyday normal" - certainly that is the single most important thing. Thank you for explaining. You never know who might be reading this thread and it could be very helpful. It certainly has been for me. Please take care and be good to yourself, Sue. I'll be keeping the faith for you and those important eyes.

My X100 helped me realize I had a problem with my eyes. About 2 years ago I got new glasses and could see perfectly. 4 months ago I got my lovely X100 and noticed I had to adjust the diopter wheel. Only then did I really grasp that, while my left eye was still fine, my right eye had deteriorated considerably.

My optician confirmed this: I have 'cataractis senilis', terrible name, but easily cured. Looking forward to seeing better after the op.

Big Tam, sometimes that is the kind of thing that it takes for people to realize that their eyesight has changed so dramatically. A good friend of mine had cataract surgery recently on both eyes and now she knows why the rest of us where sunglasses - and she can drive without glasses, and see all sorts of things. I wish you the best on your surgery and look forward to hearing how your eyesight improves. Promise to report back!

BB, I will get my eyes done between Christmas and Easter. Until both are done I won't be able to drive, since there will be too big a difference between the operated eye and the other one. But I'll get the right eye done first, so I'll be able to use my X100 as soon as possible :)

Thanks for the good wishes!

Big Tam, I hope that the not driving won't be too much of hardship for you. I'm excited for you and will really be looking forward to your reports and to your photographs! :2thumbs:

Thanks for all the good wishes! My right eye was done yesterday. In photographic terms, it is now about 2 stops brighter than my left one, with much enhanced contrast and much higher colour saturation. About the difference between a crappy cameraphone in bad light and the X100!

Looking forward to getting the other eye done next week.

Congratulations!!!!!!! I never ever thought I'd welcome cataracts. Apparently I have one in the early stages.

I'll be interested to hear how you think it ends up helping your photography, as well as your everything else, Big Tam.

Back