X100 does Industrial

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
Since any "carry everywhere" camera ends up getting used to take pictures at my work place, here's where I'll post them.

Here's a few from the Fujifilm FinePix X100 I took today. I will tell you few cameras do as well with the color and dynamic range in this environment in JPG. These are all JPG shots tweaked in Lightroom and though I might have done better in RAW -- I don't think it would be by too much. This is an amazing performance on this material by any camera.

9455559976_5931f79799_b.jpg

Meltdown by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9455559592_9e9fbc84ce_b.jpg

Stir Lance by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9452780081_a4eeae4b95_b.jpg

Ladle and Lances by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

I am also quite impressed with dynamic range on the x100 and instantly impressed with the jpegs as well. I always shoot raw, but decided to have some fun and process a couple raw files in camera and was happy with the results. The colors it captures are amazing. Great shots btw!

I decided to take a page out of Isoterica's book and try the Velvia simulation. I did however use the "Medium Soft" shadows setting to make up for the nasty black clipping and I think it helped some. The X100's Velvia sim is not like the one from the X100S.

My "Life Amid the Ruins" project is about taking a prime lens, handheld, and shooting urbex under less than ideal conditions. I haven't added to this series literally for years now.

These may be a bit excessive because I shot them with the Fuji X100 in it's Velvia slide film simulation. It's not perfect for sure, but it does do the purple shadows the real film used to give me at times -- and the incredible selective color saturation of Velvia.

These are all from an abandoned pumphouse on the Naamans Creek near where I work.

Fujifilm X100 handheld, and some with the WCL-X100 wide converter.

9469396042_c4e8376639_b.jpg

Life Amid the Ruins: Easy as 1-2-3 by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9469395900_e4ab1ecb6e_b.jpg

Life Amid the Ruins: Retirement Home by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9469395774_77008f7c59_b.jpg

Life Amid the Ruins: Window on the World by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

John, do you find walking around with a fixed lens camera somewhat liberating?

Absolutely. It's not what I ALWAYS want to do, but I really enjoy it when I do it and there is a certain freedom in constraint -- it's one of those contradictions in life that are none-the-less true.

How about you?

I actually think that once you get used to only having that one focal length, you start "seeing" the shots before you even life the camera to the eye. I definitely shoot more interesting photographs when I have only one camera with one lens. John, I see your whole m43 kit is zooms. You seem to have made the transition effortlessly.

I actually think that once you get used to only having that one focal length, you start "seeing" the shots before you even life the camera to the eye. I definitely shoot more interesting photographs when I have only one camera with one lens. John, I see your whole m43 kit is zooms. You seem to have made the transition effortlessly.

From 1981 until about 2001 I shot only with a 50mm f/2 Rikenon on a Ricoh KR-10. Prior to that I didn't have zooms and had mostly various viewfinder and TLR cams. Single focal lengths are "in my blood", lol.

Often, I end up shooting my zooms as primes, lol. The 7-14mm is usually at 7, the 12-35 at 12, and the 35-100 at 100.

From 1981 until about 2001 I shot only with a 50mm f/2 Rikenon on a Ricoh KR-10. Prior to that I didn't have zooms and had mostly various viewfinder and TLR cams. Single focal lengths are "in my blood", lol.

Often, I end up shooting my zooms as primes, lol. The 7-14mm is usually at 7, the 12-35 at 12, and the 35-100 at 100.

For about a decade beginning in 1975, I shot exclusively with a 100 percent manual Minolta SRT-200 with a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0 prime. I never felt constricted or limited at any time. It never occcured to me to feel so. I was just glad I didn't have to use an InstaMatic. I still have that camera and lens today.

Shooting with only one, fixed lens,
Isn't painful, nor gives one the Bends.
I find it liberating, yes I do,
One less thing to fiddle with, like a slip-on shoe.

No this or that ... or that and this,
So much fiddling that a shot one miss.
No wide or long or wider or longest,
Just fill the frame and hope it's the sharpest.

=G=

Just holding a Fuji, my daily frustrations are gone,
When I shoot, I always hear a song.
As Fuji are the cameras I enjoy most.
In return I rythme my every post.

=G=

Oh dear. If these keeps up I think we'll be asking you to USE A DIFFERENT CAMERA!!! :laugh1:

Your post gave me quite a chuckle,
As to changing my camera choice, I won't buckle.
The NRA has this saying that I now understand,
Only when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

=G=

Your post gave me quite a chuckle,
As to changing my camera choice, I won't buckle.
The NRA has this saying across these lands,
Only when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

=G=

Well, nevermind then. I don't hate your poetry enough to do you in... yet... lol

Okay, had some more fun with the X100 today -- but it really is a pain for long exposure HDR I must say. To get the shutter speed into the ranges I needed I had to up the ISO to 400 so I can't say this is a great camera for camera-controlled long exposures but bulb mode would be fine with it with a release -- which I didn't have with me.

All that being said, I shot with the Velvia simulation and the first two shots are Velvia HDR from the OOC jpgs. Tweaked the HDR results as usual but I didn't need to do much with the color levels, lol. The second shot has very little color which the Velvia sim helped bring out. Both shots would have been too wide a dynamic range for a single shot, especially the first one which was quite extreme.

The final shot is a single exposure Velvia JPG. All of these were processed in Lightroom.

9472980429_26cca30f3e_b.jpg

Where Robots Go To Die by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9475770146_7424d44b0e_b.jpg

No Joy in the Joystick by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9475769974_186526e537_b.jpg

Wall-X by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Back