Fuji X100 Dynamic Range limitations

This auto ISO thing is confusing me big time. Even with the camera NOT on auto DR (but on 100% instead), the auto ISO is still all over the place. In a bright day, it may still choose ISO 800 with my camera set on 1/60 min shutter speed. Shouldn't the camera be choosing the lowest possible ISO?

When AUTO ISO is enabled, you get to set the max iso and the min shutter speed in that same sub-menu. So far, so good. But the regular ISO menu, the one you use to select the ISO when you're NOT using AUTO, also plays a role. Whatever its set to is the MINIMUM ISO the auto ISO will choose. So, my guess is you had the manual ISO set to 800 before you switched to AUTO, figuring that would override the manual setting... But NO, it only changes its role in life. The other quirk is that while this camera treats almost nothing as sticky, it treats the ISO you were last in for any given mode as sticky. So if you were shooting at 800 in aperture priority mode, switch over to shutter priority mode and lower the ISO to 200, when you go back to aperture priority, that sucka's going back up to 800.

Its a screwy system that MAY have some logic behind it, but if so, its too convoluted for my little brain to quite work out. So you just have to learn its ways and play by its rules...

As the Eagles once advised, "don't even TRY to understand, just take it easy". Seems to be the best advice for dealing with some of this camera's quirks.

-Ray

No, the part about the manual ISO number setting the floor for auto ISO isn't anywhere in the manual. I asked the question on Dpreview when I first had the camera and it took Andy Westlake, who's in the process of testing the camera, to try to explain it. And to explain that there's no reason any of us SHOULD have gotten that since its not in the manual. He had better access to the people at Fuji to get his questions answered than I do! :D

Back