Fuji X100 Exposure question

Pelao

All-Pro
Name
Stephen
On the Phoblographer rolling review some strong negatives were expressed around the x100's metering. An example:

Dear Fujifilm, we’ve got a big problem here. The metering on this camera is almost deplorable. What doesn’t help is that one’s finger can easily hit the exposure compensation dial and throw off the entire metering system. The camera has spot, evaluative and average metering. After talking this over with a co-worker, we concluded that Fujifilm threw out center-weighted because they figured that most photographers would use the center focusing point and recompose.

The review is here:

Field Review: Fujifilm X100 (Day 2) at The Phoblographer

I have not read anywhere else that this is such a big problem. It seems, though I can't be sure, that the reviewer is finding the metering to be a problem where the light is variable.

For those of you who have the X100: has this been your experience?

I have sometimes felt their reviews are a bit rushed and light, but am still curious.

I have not had a problem with the exposure compensation dial being too easy to move. I read a bunch of complaints about this with the earliest cameras, but I've seen fewer and fewer of them as more cameras get out there and I haven't had a problem with it at all.

As for the metering, I was getting a fair number of blown highlights early and they seem to have magically stopped. I haven't consciously done anything differently, so I think its just a matter of subconsciously learning what area to expose for and then trust it from there. That said, my default is average metering and only occasionally going with the spot metering. But still, even with averaging, I'll often half press and recompose without even really thinking about it. And now the metering seems to work just fine thanks.

-Ray

As for the metering, I was getting a fair number of blown highlights early and they seem to have magically stopped. I haven't consciously done anything differently, so I think its just a matter of subconsciously learning what area to expose for and then trust it from there.

Pelao

Like Ray stated, the camera still has the ability to blow out highlights. Still learning.....there are a few menu settings that can lessen or exacerbate the problem.

It doesn't seem to me like a big issue.

R

Back