Fuji X100 Firmware 2.0 released

donlaw

Legend
Name
Don
While the XE2 is making the news, more exciting for me was the 2.0 firmware update for the original X100.

X100 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

Just downloaded and installed. Will be testing out the new features later today.

From Fuji:
The firmware update Ver.2.00 form ver.1.30 incorporates the following issues:
1.Improvement of AF speed
Approximately 20% faster AF speed is achieved in various conditions such as bright scenes, dark scenes and changed focus distance compared to the previous firmware version.
2.Improvement of close-up focus performance
The focus distance from the lens surface without switching to macro mode is approximately 30% shorter compared to previous firmware version.
3."Focus Peak Highlight" function for manual focusing is added.
The function, which features on FUJIFILM X100S and X20, is added and assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
* With this update, "Focus Peak Highlight" function is selected as a default setting. Pressing the center of the command dial for a while enables you to switch the setting of "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD" (off of "Focus Peak Highlight"). And "MF ASSIST" is added in SHOOTING MENU where you can select "HIGH" and "LOW" in "Focus Peak Highlight" and "STANDARD".
4.Improved manual focus operation
This makes it easier to capture the peak of the focus by displaying the image with shallow depth of field, using open aperture, when adjusting the focus with the electronic view finder or the LCD.
5.Faster start-up time
The camera start-up time is shortened by approximately 0.2 second with QUICK START mode OFF.
6.Improved operability of selecting focus area
Previously, the focus area was selected while holding the AF button on the back. With the upgraded firmware, pressing the AF button will switch to the focus area selection screen and the area of your choice can then be selected.
7.The phenomenon is fixed that a camera will automatically turn off during "Bulb (B)" shooting with the "CONTINUOUS" setting in "IMAGE DISP."

Wow!

For Fuji to support the X100 like this means a lot to me.
I liked the way they changed the X10 sensor and this seems to be a continuation of the same ethos.

My X100...better greens in bright light
My X100S...better resolution

Take your pick. To my mind both cameras are as good as each other now.

This is simply amazing. Not just that they have increased the AF speed or improved the firmware, but just the sheer commitment they are showing to their own products. Great going Fuji!

Ok, it's done. AF speed is indeed better, which is thrilling. The minimum focus distance alone (without having to engage macro mode) is worth it. I want to bear-hug a japanese engineer somewhere.

Heya Kyle. Did you notice any difference in close focus between OVF and EVF/rear display? My speed and accuracy is super quick and pretty accurate when I am using the EVF, but I am not having success with the OVF (auto corrected AF box/lines). Going to dig in on settings and read the release notes now...

I have to say that I have been playing around with the X100 a bit today and I can' t thank Fujifilm enough for taken the intuitive to implement this upgrade. It is almost like having a new camera. Quite an achievement. And for $0.

Spent all weekend with the new firmware up in New Hampshire at a lodge, and then at home. Startup and AF are sufficiently faster that I notice it still, after 3 days, every time I use the thing. Manual focus response now puts that option into the realm of "things people might actually ever consider using," which is a massive leap forward. Between the increased speed / shortened throw (same thing), and the focus peaking, manual focus is now completely doable. Cannot say enough how happy I am that they did this for an old* camera.

* That I purchased new less than 18 months ago, for what seemed like a gazillion dollars.

Ok, it's done. AF speed is indeed better, which is thrilling. The minimum focus distance alone (without having to engage macro mode) is worth it. I want to bear-hug a japanese engineer somewhere.

KillRamsey,

As a fellow who actually ghost-wrote a book on customer service (no kidding), I would encourage you and all those here who think this software upgrade is a good thing to go to the trouble of searching out and sending positive feedback -- in the form of personal emails -- to folks at Fuji. Go to their corporate website and search out, preferably, someone to contact in their public relations or marketing deparment. Then tell them they done good. Tell them this raises your positive attitude toward the company and its products. Ask to get married and have babies with them . . . whatever.

The point is that people are quick to complain about bad corporate behavior but very slow at encouraging positive corporate behavior. And believe me, the corporate PR types will pass it up the chain.

Cheers, Jock

Generic FujiFilm USA web contact form: Here

Generic FujiFilm Japan contact form page: Here

...then I googled Software Engineer Fujifilm and found this, an article about Tsutomu Kimura, Director /Corp VP / etc of software development including software on digital cameras.

Further googling reveals the guy has 97 patents, mostly around imaging technology. So he's probably not a dummy. But I can't find a direct link to email him without LinkedIn, which is blocked at work. So if I had more time, I'd find ANYONE's email at fujifilm.com, which would tell me the naming convention they use (first.last@fujifilm.com? Last.first? First initial.last? etc) and try to fill in his name instead. As soon as one doesn't bounce, in theory, it would go to him.

That's all I could do in 12 minutes

Very sound advice.

I have 13 minutes before an all-day meeting, let's see if I can find a contact via The Googles.

I found this contact information on a press release announcing the X-E2 on www.fujifilmusa.com:

For more information, please contact:
Matthew Schmidt
Fujifilm
914-789-8529
mschmidt@fujifilm.com

He's a PR dude. Ask him to pass your gratitude along, so the rest of the company will know.

Cheers, Jock Elliott

Back