Fuji X100 Firmware ver 1.20 is out

I didn't see a mention of improved manual focusing in the change list, but it's clearly there: it's much faster than before. I wouldn't use it as a primary way of focusing but now it can certainly help when AF has trouble focusing (very low light), while before I wouldn't have bothered.

When in M focus and i press the AFL/AEL button to get focus, i dont seem able to. The focus point seems to be elsewhere. particularly prevalent on anything within a two to three foot range, and both in nornal and macro mode.. That way of focussing in M has now become somewhat unreliable.

Still a lot of turns on the focus ring too to gain the focus that the camera has missed. other than that once in focus manually, it is easier to ascertain the sharp focus point when turning the focus ring.

When in M focus and i press the AFL/AEL button to get focus, i dont seem able to. The focus point seems to be elsewhere. particularly prevalent on anything within a two to three foot range, and both in nornal and macro mode.. That way of focussing in M has now become somewhat unreliable.

This is the ONLY way I use the camera. I leave it in Manual focus mode and use the AFL/AEL button to grab focus. I have not yet downloaded the update. Can anyone confirm or deny that this method of focusing no longer works properly? In the meantime I'll keep my old firmware.

Armanius, no. all my settings in 1.13 are now there in 1.20. I am awaiting further advice from Fuji UK on this. Took some manual focus shots in OVF and they came out a mix of sharp and blurred. so an inconsistency there. although the camera beeps, telling you you have focus' when you see the shot, you dont. i shall keep you posted.

Luke, keep 1.13 for the time being.

Just tried on mine and it works fine?..whats the benefit of focusing this way over normal afs and half pressing the shutter?..does it acquire focus faster using the af button rather than half pressing the shutter button?..

Well, yes, it appears to focus quite randomly in MF-AFL button. Very large area and the damn non-existent focus confirmation (missing, it resets in the 2meters area. Wasn't it 3meters before?). Missing the focus confirmation, MF+AFL button was and is almost unusable.

Just tried on mine and it works fine?..whats the benefit of focusing this way over normal afs and half pressing the shutter?..does it acquire focus faster using the af button rather than half pressing the shutter button?..

I shoot this way out of simplicity. I shouldn't have to switch it into macro mode to focus on something 4 feet away. Basically in manual mode the focus will rack all the way through the entire range of focus, but in Auto-focus mode it will either focus from 20cm-2 meters (macro) or 2 meters to infinity. That cut-off point is too troublesome for me.....a lot of my shots are kind of right around 2 meters so I don't need to think ahead of time...will this make it or not?

That makes sense luke as I have found myself switching to macro mode sooner than I thought i would have to tbh..doesnt bother me but could cost you the shot I guess.Again just tried this method in manual focus and using af lock and it works well from close up to distance shots..no more switching to macro then! cheers

Forgive me if I'm ranting. I was all thrilled and happy yesterday when i got the camera back and then found a great firmware update. From a high to a low in one day, and then to have a poor performance win the cricket nets last night has turned me into a whinging git.

I was in the process of downloading the update when I saw the threads about erratic focus performance. I'm very reluctant to upgrade now as I shoot at least half the time using MF/AFL. I use it instead of Macro mode, which seems fiddly to me.

While I consider manual focus aid (AFL) all over the place, there's something I ask anyone to confirm: my camera tends to find focus near the lower right corner of the box. I mean ALSO for distant subjects AND using EVF too.

I say all over the place because: once focused on a near object, it is reluctant to refocus at infinity (or far) while having the near object much outside the box.

Yes, AF is now fast enough and spot-on

Back