Fuji X100 Firmware ver 1.20 is out

lucpher

Regular
Latest firmware for the X100.

Firmware for FinePix X100 | Fujifilm Global

1.Some functions, which can be set to "Fn" button and shown as "Fn BUTTON" in SET-UP menu, can be also set to RAW button. After pressing the command dial to right in the SET-UP menu of "Fn BUTTON", "Fn" and "RAW" are displayed and each of selectable them,
Also, by holding down RAW button for more than 3 seconds, same type of selection menu for RAW button is displayed, just as short-cut procedure.

2.By selecting in "ISO" menu in the shooting menu, either ISO sensitivity value or "ISO AUTO CONTROL" can be selected.

3.When AF MODE is set to "AREA" in Single AF (AF-S) mode, active focus point is zoomed in (magnified to approx 5x) by
pressing center of the command control.

4.When "ND FILTER" is set to "Fn" button or "RAW" button, setting between ON ("ND" is displayed) or OFF ("ND" is NOT displayed) can be changeable by pressing "Fn" button or "RAW" button, which is set for "ND FILTER".

5.When the image is shot with vertical angle of the camera and played back the shot in the LCD, the image is displayed with whole area of LCD even after pressing "playback zoom in" button.

6.When the human face is shot, the detected face is displayed during the playing back, and pressing the command dial to down, detected face is magnified during displaying.

7.AE control system and AF performance including AF speed has been improved for movie recording mode.

Generally, that,s a bad idea. Manufacturer instructions require that you download to a computer and onto the root directory of a suitable card. I can't think of any who suggest you do it with the camera tethered.

Well, no, NOT what I've been asking for. The whole iso / auto ISO thing are still on completely different menus so you can't just scroll through a list of both iso and auto-high options (like on the X10 or X-Pro 1). So if you assign iso to the fn button, you still get the same list of iso values and you still have to go to a separate menu to change whether auto iso is on or off and to select the high value for it. The only thing they've changed in this regard is that in addition to having auto ISO in the other section of the menu from the basic iso settings, you can ALSO get to it in a sub-menu of the iso item on the first (shooting) menu. So its a little better than before in that iso functions can all be set from the same place in the menu, but you still have to go to the menu to change iso/auto iso. I was really hoping for just a list of iso values followed by a list of auto iso values (again, like on the X10 and X-Pro 1), but I guess this particular way of dealing with auto iso is just too deeply embedded in this camera's DNA for them to change it to something more logical. Which I consider a major drag and STILL my only real complaint about this camera. But I've coped and I'll cope some more. At least they made an effort and I'd imagine if they didn't change this, its because they really couldn't, so consider it a lesson learned for Fuji, and hopefully they never design a camera like this again. Since their next two cameras used much more logical approaches to ISO menus, I have to assume they've learned the lesson and it just isn't doable on this camera for whatever reason...

Nice to be able to use the raw button as a second FN button though - that was overdue. And being able to just toggle the ND filter on and off using either the fn or raw button is a wonderful change! I do give them a lot of credit for fixing everything they could - I guess the fundamental design of the camera didn't allow a more logical approach to ISO...

-Ray

Forgive my ignorance but just want to double check...do you just format a sd card then drag the update file straight on to the sd card then place in camera?..never done this before.

Forgive my ignorance but just want to double check...do you just format a sd card then drag the update file straight on to the sd card then place in camera?..never done this before.

Yeah, that's how you do it. Then hold down the "disp/back" button while you turn the camera on and then just follow the prompts on the rear screen. Very easy process. But write down or remember any settings you have before you do it because they'll be lost and you'll have to re-set them.

-Ray

BB, I just did the update and it's very easy and relatively quick. I have a dedicated 1 GB SD card I keep in a drawer just for firmware updates.

Regarding tethering vs. SD card for firmware updates: every camera I've owned has used the card update approach - except Olympus. It scared me to death to plug the camera directly into my computer to update the E-P3; that was the first time I had ever used a camera connection cord in 12 years of using digicams. We were taught that direct connection was a recipe for disaster, i.e. a spurious voltage from the computer could fry the insides of the camera. Probably not based in fact, but it got my attention! I've always used card readers, and I suppose I always will.

I was about to start singing alleluia about the auto-iso implementation ... until I read Ray's post ...

I'll go back to my corner and sulk now ...
It's actually a lot better Armando. I don't tend to use the menus much while shooting anyway, and the menus remember where they were last, so if I start using THAT for ISO (rather than the fn or raw button), the OK button will just go straight to ISO. I hit the OK button twice quickly and I'm faced with either going to a list of manual ISO values or into the auto-ISO menu. Locating it there makes it MUCH easier to move in and out of auto ISO without having to think about where everything is. It's not ideal, but it finally feels like an easy enough work around not to worry about. It seems like they made an effort at it and couldn't find a better way to do it based on the underlying architecture of the camera and/or software. So they gave us a pretty good shortcut to deal with it. I'm glad they gave it a shot, they've obviously learned the error of their ways (based on how they handled this with the X10 and X-Pro), and this is a pretty decent workaround. I was living with it before and now I'll live with it more easily.

-Ray

It's actually a lot better Armando. I don't tend to use the menus much while shooting anyway, and the menus remember where they were last, so if I start using THAT for ISO (rather than the fn or raw button), the OK button will just go straight to ISO. I hit the OK button twice quickly and I'm faced with either going to a list of manual ISO values or into the auto-ISO menu. Locating it there makes it MUCH easier to move in and out of auto ISO without having to think about where everything is. It's not ideal, but it finally feels like an easy enough work around not to worry about. It seems like they made an effort at it and couldn't find a better way to do it based on the underlying architecture of the camera and/or software. So they gave us a pretty good shortcut to deal with it. I'm glad they gave it a shot, they've obviously learned the error of their ways (based on how they handled this with the X10 and X-Pro), and this is a pretty decent workaround. I was living with it before and now I'll live with it more easily.

-Ray

Ray
Thanks for this post, and the earlier one. A lot of useful information packed in there. I appreciate the thought and time.

Back