Fuji X100 Goes To Peru & Machu Picchu

Thanks again, all. I'm humbled.

Also as I said elsewhere, the camera case I use is a Tamrac 5693, which makes the chest strap option very easy. It's very small and light, but everything fits.

That tears it. Everybody is talking about Peru. There's also a Peru thread on mu-43. I haven't been back there in a couple of years. I have nothing better to do next week. Why not? Any decent flea markets to shop for legacy glass?

You know I really didn't see much retail that WASN'T touristy. It's there, for sure, but it's hard to find. I was in Cusco, then Aguas Caliente, then Ollantaytambo. I did find one fair trade textiles shop, but we weren't shopping too heavily anyway, limited space in the bags.

That looks an amazing adventure ... one day I hope I can retrace your steps, but in the meantime I'll sit back and enjoy your shots. Beautiful.

You know I really didn't see much retail that WASN'T touristy. It's there, for sure, but it's hard to find. I was in Cusco, then Aguas Caliente, then Ollantaytambo. I did find one fair trade textiles shop, but we weren't shopping too heavily anyway, limited space in the bags.

I'll find out next week. I remember there being a flea market in Kennedy Park on Saturdays, but being in Miraflores it's probably just tourist's crafts. If I work up the courage, and can figure out which bus to take, I might stop by Polvos Azules in La Victoria. Since La Paz is so close, maybe I can find something there too.

Fantastic photos. I love the panos of the mountains, and of the little girl (yours?) walking along the rungs in the first set of photos. Thanks for sharing, it must have been a great trip.

Great set of images that document your trip well and the quality is amazing - a true endorsement for the X100 as a carry always camera.
Thanks for sharing them

Fantastic photos. I love the panos of the mountains, and of the little girl (yours?) walking along the rungs in the first set of photos. Thanks for sharing, it must have been a great trip.

My daughter, yes. She turns 3 in a few days, and was the youngest to ever do that trail hike (albeit in a backpack).

I was cruising in an alley behind a mercado today and found 2 cameras that were interesting. A half frame Fuji and a Kiev 2. They wanted 70 soles for the Fuji and 150 soles for the Kiev 2. Cheaper on ebay.

I was cruising in an alley behind a mercado today and found 2 cameras that were interesting. A half frame Fuji and a Kiev 2. They wanted 70 soles for the Fuji and 150 soles for the Kiev 2. Cheaper on ebay.

Most things I saw like that for sale there had "starting prices" that were waaay too high, but they'd take a good bit lower. Lots of dumb tourists who don't know to haggle.

I found a couple of Zenits here in Cusco today. The dude wanted 60 soles for them. That's a good price. He was the most uninterested seller I've ever met. Could be because I was a tourist in a clearly locals market. Now I need to decide if I want to lug a old heavy SLR around with me throught he sacred valley.

I am so disappointed. I decided I wanted one of the Zenits and went back today. It was gone. From the dust on the display case, it had been sitting there a good long while. What are the chances that in less than 24 hours from when I found it that it would be bought by someone else? It had a Helios 44M which would have made it worth the $23. I don't know what I was thinking? If I had seen it on eBay or CL or a thrift store, I would have been all over it without even thinking. It was the manner of the shop owner that put me off. I don't have a Zenit 122 in the colllection. There's a Zenit DF300 left but that's just not worth it. Although being a Chinese knockoff of a Russian brand of a Japanese camera make's it unusual at least in the US.

Here's a picture of it sitting in the case.

zenit_zps7fceacb8.jpg

Here's where I was today. It's more impressive in 3D.

pisac_zps8df799e9.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back