Fuji X100 New User - First Impressions

I said NO waaaaaay more than four times. The problem is, you only have to say yes ONCE to make all of those NOs irrelevant! I said yes once. The final tally:

No - 147 (approximately)
Yes - 1

The winner by technical knockout: YES

-Ray
Hi Ray
The Bu88ers rang again this morning . . . . . . and I cracked - it'll be here on Tuesday, so I have nothing like your willpower - poor sad me!

Hi Ray
The Bu88ers rang again this morning . . . . . . and I cracked - it'll be here on Tuesday, so I have nothing like your willpower - poor sad me!

Heh, heh, heh - got ANOTHER one!

147 might have been a slight exaggeration. It depends on whether you count each NO individually when I sit there reading about the damn thing saying, "no no no no no no no no NO!". In which case, 147 might be low.

But the point holds - a single YES wins the day. I'm glad I broke down. I knew I would. It was like seeing a train wreck coming and knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it. And its a damn fine train wreck.

I suspect you'll be glad you broke down too.

Enjoy!

-Ray

Today, I took my X100 and my dog for a walk along our regular haunts...and just got back. I have to say that I am smitten. It was worth the wait for this baby.

Even with my polarized, prescription sunglasses (progressive lenses - think multifocal), I could see everything! I forgot to bring along my regular glasses and was concerned that my exposures might be way off...because after all I couldn't see "reality". Well, I've fallen - hook, line and sinker. I know, I know...it's early days yet, but things are looking awfully good.

I will post some at least one photo later on. I also want to say that I think the camera feels good to hold. I have it on the neck strap that came with it - not the best, though surely not the worst. Off I went with my two year old Shetland Sheepdog on a leash, with the camera around my neck - sling style...with my sunglasses on...but it was so easy, even though I felt as though I barely knew what I was doing. It was great walk not spoiled by having an annoying fiddly camera.:drinks: I love my X100!

First two days with X100

Let's see more early results from all of you who just got the X100 as I did. Here are some early test results from my early experience.

X0025.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f2, ISO200, 1/125 sec. Silver Efex 2

X0032.jpg

Closeup setting, f5.6, ISO400, 1/350 sec

X0112r.jpg

f5.6, ISO200, 1/1100 sec. Silver Efex 2

X0094.jpg

Cool Girl Texting, f2, ISO400, 1/7 sec. jpeg from camera cropped, no PP.

Equally great. It is heavier but it's easier to hold because there is a slight bump out of a grip. I also find the controls to be so much easier to access simply...shutter speed, EV compensation and that great ring for aperture. Granted, I don't have the X1 anymore but that's what my "muscle memory" says.;)

Day 3

Here are a few, un-cropped, un-processed.

p233044446-5.jpg

p40619178-5.jpg

p167109949-5.jpg

p350668821-5.jpg

I have never really shot with a rangefinder (since my first Argus). I am totally awestruck by these images. They're nothing like what I expected.

R

Oh no!:confused: I can still back out of the deal to get my GXR + 28/50macro... must resist... could sell the K5 and have GXR and X100 (tempting as I'm moving away from weight/size to SC's)... Could sell a kidney and have all three. WIN. enough said :D

I'm starting to think along those lines too, especially as my osteo in my hands gets worse. I manage a LOT better with smaller lighter cameras... and the X100 is beckoning. and for me, also the GRD3

Yes, those are great - and so is this camera. As it has been mentioned by David and Ray...the jpegs are fantastic, but guess what so are the RAW files. Right now, I'm finding my way between them and trying out different things. But I'll tell you, this camera's pictures could well be used by someone who only had iPhoto, and used very well. Heresy of heresies.;)

Back