Fuji X100 New User - First Impressions

Did you have it to your eye for that shot Don? I think I'm gonna try to come in on Wednesday and see what I can do with it...

-Ray

Ray, crazy as it sounds,...I am much more comfortable with the camera at my eye than holding it out front with a screen. This camera immediately got me back to my Leica M daze.... I couldn't feel more freedom.

Oh, yes, the camera is always at the right eye, left eye open....
I'll be on the streets again early tomorrow morning just to get another workout....

Same here, Glad these cameras are reaching their destination. I have been very quiet this past week as i have been getting to grips with my new job at Park Cameras and it has been a real uphill struggle. It has occurred to me just how much i don't know and how vast this industry is. I have just started to settle in so will be happier. We have a prototype X100 on display but i have yet to play with it. We received about 25 X100's which fulfilled all back orders so the waiting time has been reduced to about a week or so. I'm SO tempted to get one but that will mean selling the NEX as i can't afford the Fuji without the cash from the NEX.

I'll have a play with the X100 next week and make up my mind.

Have fun with your new toys!

Andy, I'm glad to hear that your starting to settle in. Any new place of work can be trying and I can only try to imagine all the details and information you've had to absorb - all the while waiting on customers and more! At some point, it would be interesting to hear more about your early days - when you can look back. I'm sure you're going to be a real asset to the team at Park Cameras!

Andy, I hope this helps....
I think the Fuji is an excellent camera. It fullfils my desire for a camera style that stems back many years...
I WILL NOT SELL THE NEX NEITHER SHOULD YOU!

The flash - and where is the Auto selection?

I know, I know - no one uses the flash...well, I want to be able to if I need/want to, but for the life of me can't seem to find "Auto". Perhaps it is so "Super-Intelligent" that it just will know when I want it?;)

I see Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash (psychological issues?), and Slow/Synchro but I do not see Auto...

Any pointers?

Day 4

Here a few more random shots.....I am glad I don't have to go out and make a living with this camera yet. It can be a tad perplexing at times.

p364692276-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p436655268-5.jpg

p409424994-5.jpg

It is pretty great in low light.

R

Andy, I hope this helps....
I think the Fuji is an excellent camera. It fullfils my desire for a camera style that stems back many years...
I WILL NOT SELL THE NEX NEITHER SHOULD YOU!

As good as the NEX is I can't keep both as I also have a Canon 500D that needs a few lenses plus as i have said before the NEX system just does not (in my opinion) have good enough AF lenses and as much as the Zeiss will knock my socks off it's hard to spend so much on just one lens. I'm still waiting to see how much discount they are going to give us on the X100 at work but word on the street is £200 off !!!

Rich, perplexing to you or not at times - you look like you know what you're doing to me! It looks as though there's some bread making going on in there....among some other things. Very nicely done!

Andy, never a dull camera moment with you, eh?;)

Andy might have something with the Nex situation.
I can see a dismal future for my Nex.
Hopefully, I can keep it as an interchangeable lens camera in the same format as the Fuji.
But I've always longed for what the Fuji so graciously provides.
The Nex will now be for events etc....

One thing I like about the X100 is (and I can't explain it well) is that it can give whole new life to the relatively mundane.

Mundane in my shots, not others :)

So what is it.....the 35mm field of view, the fact that even a f/2 it has an amazing depth of field? Maybe all rangefinders are like this and I have been missing out on this particular POV.

Any comments?

R

I understand, Rich.

For me, it is similar to what I felt with the Leica X1 but much better due to the better controls and the fantastic viewfinders. Freedom for me is in the aperture ring, the shutter speed dial and EV compensation on top, the easy way it feels in my hand, the field of view (one field of view) and the utterly astounding image quality that this camera offers. For anyone who hasn't actually used this camera and hasn't yet seen what they can get in what I still think of as "negatives" - as in the old film days way of speaking...well, they ain't seen nothin'. For me this is what it's all about - freedom from fiddling and fantastic image quality.

When you feel free, you can use your eyes to appreciate what is right there in front of you.:drinks:

I understand, Rich.

For me, it is similar to what I felt with the Leica X1 but much better due to the better controls and the fantastic viewfinders. Freedom for me is in the aperture ring, the shutter speed dial and EV compensation on top, the easy way it feels in my hand, the field of view (one field of view) and the utterly astounding image quality that this camera offers. For anyone who hasn't actually used this camera and hasn't yet seen what they can get in what I still think of as "negatives" - as in the old film days way of speaking...well, they ain't seen nothin'. For me this is what it's all about - freedom from fiddling and fantastic image quality.

When you feel free, you can use your eyes to appreciate what is right there in front of you.:drinks:

Thanks BB......you triggered some thoughts (but of course at my age, I lost them immediately :rofl:).

I think you're right though....it's the freedom from fiddling......if I have other camera kits, it seems that I am always second guessing myself as to what lens I have on the camera (and wishing I had brought another).

With the X100, it's WYSIWYG.....and then rooted in that space......that field of view.....you make the best of it, using the classic camera controls.....aperture, speed and now ISO.

Again, maybe because I never shot rangefinders, I find this liberating and a revelation.

R

Rich,
It is the Leica experience your getting.
The X100 is very similar in working to a Leica M.
For me, it's something I have missed and longed for for over 10 years.
Now, the Fuji brings back all the feelings I lost.
Even holding in the hand with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist and the finger on the shutter....I have longed for that.
Alas.... My forgotten feelings have returned.
What a simple pleasure for an old shooter...

Rich,
It is the Leica experience your getting.
The X100 is very similar in working to a Leica M.
For me, it's something I have missed and longed for for over 10 years.
Now, the Fuji brings back all the feelings I lost.
Even holding in the hand with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist and the finger on the shutter....I have longed for that.
Alas.... My forgotten feelings have returned.
What a simple pleasure for an old shooter...

Thanks Don.....and thank god I am getting that "experience" at an affordable price point. (And it is affordable....the Canon 35L lens is now selling for $1469.....that's just the lens!!)

R

Back