Fuji X100 New User - First Impressions

You guys and your Leica talk are killing me! But this is really great news! I still don't know, though, how it would work for someone like me who mainly shoots plants, flowers, birds, and (frequently moving) animals.

Rich said:
One thing I like about the X100 is (and I can't explain it well) is that it can give whole new life to the relatively mundane.

That is exactly how I felt about the EPL-1, and I see what you mean in the sample images in this thread. I think it's at least partly about color saturation and warmth.

That is exactly how I felt about the EPL-1, and I see what you mean in the sample images in this thread. I think it's at least partly about color saturation and warmth.

Janis......I have the EPL-2 and known what you mean.....but the interesting thing is that the rendering of the Fuji lens is decidedly different than the Panny 20/1.7 or 14/2.5. Those are great lenses, but it just different with the X100.....it has amazing depth of field and corner to corner sharpness. It seems to capture EVERYTHING.

Hard to explain....and fun to use.

R

Fuji X100 - cheapest UK price - is it £900 - I'm sure I'll be tempted as I have an hour to spare at Gatwick Airport today - but last time I was there, a month ago, they had some incredible deals on the M9 - I'm just getting used to my Canon S95 and have almost forgotten home to use my EP1 and G1 - the great thing about the M8/M9 is that it is very simple and it's difficult to forget how to use it as you never really need to use the menu, (apart from ISO and the plus or minus a stop or two)

Is the menu on the Fuji the same as the Oly/Panasonic

Is the menu on the Fuji the same as the Oly/Panasonic
No, I'd say the menus are the weak point of the X100 - that and the lack of an extra FN button or two. The Panasonic menus tend, IMHO, to be excellent, and the Olympus menus are good enough. The Fuji takes a little bit of time to make sense of, but then its well worth it. A very different shooting experience, a LOT of fun, and incredible image quality. But the menus will require your attention for a while...

-Ray

I find the menu on the EP1 and G1 unnecessarily complicated with too many "not needed" scroll throughs - I much much prefer the layout on my D300 and the layout on the M Leica is dead simple and has all whay I need.

Each manufacturer nows seems to want to pack in as many as possible menu functions and options into their products and they keep adding these without any useful purpose to most photographers - I expected the Fuji X100 thing to at least take a back step from the development as it moved into into pseudo rangefinder product.

Back