Fuji X100 - setting ISO to 6400, possible workaround?

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

I often find myself running into the high limit of Auto ISO on the X100 (which is 3200 - why can't we use the full ISO range in Auto ISO?).
Am I correct in thinking that the only way to select ISO 6400 is to go into the menus, disable Auto ISO, and then set ISO 6400 manually? And that the option to disable Auto ISO can't be assigned to one of the "shortcut" buttons (Fn or RAW)?

Another thing I was pondering: I've read several times that the maximum "real" ISO value is 1600, and all ISO's above that are just software simulated (basically pushed ISO 1600 files). Therefore, if I find myself running into the 3200 Auto ISO limit, I think dialing in -/-1 stop exposure compensation (in Aperture mode) or dialing in a shutter speed that leads to 1 stop underexposure (in Manual mode), and then pushing the resulting file 1 stop using software or the internal raw converter, should have the same basic effect as disabling Auto ISO and setting ISO 6400 manually, right? The only thing that might be different is the tone curve that's applied to the file by the jpeg engine, but if that becomes problematic I could just use the raw file.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this :)

Yep, you could simply push the RAW later in the internal, or an external converter. The only difference will be NR, which will still work with ISO 3200 settings.

Thanks Rico :) I actually think NR -2 is still a bit too much in some situations, so having even less effective NR probably won't be a problem for me - and if it is, I can always increase it afterwards :)

Back