Fuji X100 - still an option?

There seems to be some good prices on them now. But then that new Fuji A1 looks tempting.
Oh well, we will see what the prices on the A1 will be like in three years.

That's one heck of an expensive paperweight... :D

It's part of the closet filler :)

X-100 is still a darn good image maker and mine is troubled...day one on a cold christmas day i do my usual walk about, for some reason on that day as i raised the camera to my face...it slipped out of my hand and went flying towards the scene i wanted to capture...pigeons went flying the lady on the left gasped, the couple ahead of the pigeons turned around and the mother and children feeding the pigeons raised there arms in surprise....

i run up picked up the camera and smirked, screen isn't broken.

The image was a swirl on the LCD but in my mind the image will never fade until i die *lol*

came home and i can see the RGB vertical lines every so often...sensor issue i suppose but never affects the captured images, they always come out clean so never bothered taking it in till it dies but most likely i will have already gotten both another black and silver/black to fill that closet :p

oh...the lesson here...use the strap.

That my friend, is a sad story.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine's RX100. Now it is an expensive paper weight.

It's part of the closet filler :)

X-100 is still a darn good image maker and mine is troubled...day one on a cold christmas day i do my usual walk about, for some reason on that day as i raised the camera to my face...it slipped out of my hand and went flying towards the scene i wanted to capture...pigeons went flying the lady on the left gasped, the couple ahead of the pigeons turned around and the mother and children feeding the pigeons raised there arms in surprise....

i run up picked up the camera and smirked, screen isn't broken.

The image was a swirl on the LCD but in my mind the image will never fade until i die *lol*

came home and i can see the RGB vertical lines every so often...sensor issue i suppose but never affects the captured images, they always come out clean so never bothered taking it in till it dies but most likely i will have already gotten both another black and silver/black to fill that closet :p

oh...the lesson here...use the strap.

*lol* i just should have continued my explanation ...there was very little damage to the body a few paint scuffs on some metal, the EV dial has a piece looking like a rash? but otherwise no damage, i shook it for loose pieces...nothing was loose.
The sensor lines started showing up like maybe a month after but i was thinking to myself if i took it in (2 year warranty here in Canada double that with my Amex payment to 4 years) would they say it has been dropped and blame it on the drop even if it had nothing to do with it so i held off taking it in...but i probably will...maybe :)

but that all said, it's one tough camera and to the OP i say again like everyone else with one...even with the newer X tans II sensor, the CMOS in the X 100 is tuned really well to most likely fill any image your eye and mind could imagine.

Was debating about picking up the X100S but decided that I'll pick up the non-S and use the extra money to pick up the 55-200mm lens for the X-Pro 1. Good thing that I saw this thread!

Although a piece of me reeeeeeeeeeeally wants to just get the S...damn you GAS!

*shakes camera towards the sky*

Got my new used X100 today! looks great. Serial number is 21M1XXX. I think that means is was made in the 1st quarter of 2012. Anyway looks an work great so I am happy.

That Serial will not tell you mfg date. You can get the mfg date by uploading a OOC jpeg here to Jeffrey s exif viewer:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

click browse, select your jpeg, then click view image from file...

Then looking at the exif data under "makers notes" (you have to scroll down to Makers Notes) you will find an internal serial number like this "
"MakerNotes"
Version 0130
Internal Serial Number FPX 20884347 592D36323232 2011:07:14 F0602013A6D1

If you then look at the middle area of this serial number, you will see the mfg date, mine in this case above is "2011:07:14" which of course is July 14th of 2011

FYI - of course any decent detailed exif viewer will work, Jefferies is the one I used because picasa and lightroom did not show enough detail to display internal serial...

Hey guys, new here.
I'm a mu-43 reader/ user, looking after a 35mm FOV. Seeing that 35mm choices for m4/3 are a bit lackluster, and a used X100 can be had for less than a new Olympus 17/1.8, let alone the shooting experience with an X100(s), I thought I'd give it a go.
I was quite sure that I wanna get the X100 because it's firstly much cheaper, secondly the new firmware apparently improves it a lot, and thirdly people seem to prefer the output of the older 12mp sensor. Today though I read saw a comparison on dpr where a guy came to the conclusion that with new ACR 8.x, demosaicing of the X-Trans has taken a leap forward and seems to be of the same quality than Fuji's in-camera JPEG conversion. That said, I'm again unsure whether to settle on the older model or go for the s - which admittedly is like 150% of X100 for a used on.
Any suggestions? I usually shoot contextual portraits, and street/urban landscape when I'm walking around my city. Help appreciated.

First, welcome to FujiXspot, phl0wtography!

Hmm, decisions decisions. I have the X100, still love it, and can't offer you any feedback on comparing the two. Some absolutely love their X100s versions and others have had the "S" and gone back to the original X. No doubt others will chime in with their opinions, in the mean time - glad to have you here!(y)

Back