Fuji X100 - superb jpeg resolution, detail & range

afkenner

Regular
When I got the X100, I decided to shoot only jpeg for a while to see if I could be satisfied without having RAW files to process. So far, I am thrilled with the jpeg performance, and think I'm sticking with jpeg for a while. Nice to come back from a whole afternoon of shooting with only a gig of drive space consumed. Here's a sample of why I'm happy with jpeg only for street shooting so far:

Here's the image I ended up with:
nyc_streets_20130120-1298.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And this is the full jpeg it was cropped from, SOOC (resized)
dscf1298_full.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's amazing really.

It really surprised me too. I know the B&W conversion is going to help a little, but there is just so much potential in these X-files. To top it off, I'm relatively certain this was shot without any autofocusing, just set to hyperfocal distance of 15' (to be fair, the subject is probably almost exactly that distance away)

I shoot raw with every digital camera I've owned except the Fuji's. starting with the X100, then with the X10, now with the X-Pro, I shoot jpegs. I've never been able to improve on them shooting raw and they still have amazing amounts of latitude for post processing work. Even if they work out the raw processing with the X-Trans sensor, I'll keep shooting jpegs with these cameras.

-Ray

I shoot raw with every digital camera I've owned except the Fuji's. starting with the X100, then with the X10, now with the X-Pro, I shoot jpegs. I've never been able to improve on them shooting raw and they still have amazing amounts of latitude for post processing work. Even if they work out the raw processing with the X-Trans sensor, I'll keep shooting jpegs with these cameras.

Same here. Always a raw shooter too. While waiting impatiently for my X100 to arrive, I read from so many X100 owners that they just don't bother with raw. In fact, some of these comments helped push me over the edge to get the Fuji (also, a robust secondhand market after the X100s announcement). Write speed is another issue, even with the fast cards there is still a fraction of a second (or more) needed to write the raw files after each shot.

Back