Fuji X100 User Setup Preferences

Quick question... people have expressed in their setup preferences, Velvia. Assuming that Velvia and Astia are reversed in this particular firmware rev, does this mean that these individuals are setting the camera to Astia, knowing it's really Velvia or actually setting it to Velvia and simply liking the result regardless of what it actually is.

Whew :confused: Does this make sense?

I think the contention has been that Astia and Provia are mixed up, not Velvia. The difference between either of the other two color film options and Velvia are really obvious - immediately apparent. And Velvia is Velvia. There's been some thought that the setting for Astia is really what Provia looks like and vice versa, but the DPR review isn't buying that. They think its right. So, bottom line, between the Astia and Provia settings, I guess its up to each of us to decide which we prefer for any given situation, name aside. And the difference between them isn't huge, but its there if you compare side by side. But no question about which one is Velvia. And of course this is all moot if you're shooting raw.

-Ray

I typically shoot RAW but again, the JEPGS that come out of the X100 are pretty incredible. The alleged Astia and Provia mix-up still has me stumped. I have a difficult time telling them apart unlike, as previously mentioned, Velvia.
Lately I've been experimenting with auto DR and auto ISO. I need to shot more outside before I decide whether to continue to use those settings.
Sometimes I find it interesting to compare the JPEG to a RAW from the same shot I've processed in LR.
. . . David

I cannot make the eletronic level appear in the Optical Viewfinder on my Fuji x100

I have a small problem in that I cannot get the electronic level to appear in the optical view finder. I have followed the instructions in the user manual p. 72 to DISPLAY CUSTUM SETTING for OVF. The result is that all the settings I set, including the electronic level, do appear On the LCD monitor but none of them appear in the OVF. The firmware of the camera has been upgraded to version 1.1. This is a minor annoyance with an otherwise excellent camera, but nevertheless…
If anyone has experienced a similar problem and has a solution for it, I would love to know.

Hi 33-31-33,

to switch on electronic level in the OVF, you need to go to the CAMERA MENU->DISP. CUSTOM SETTING->OVF->ELECTRONIC LEVEL and make sure that it is ticked.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Kind Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

You wrote: to switch on electronic level in the OVF, you need to go to the CAMERA MENU->DISP. CUSTOM SETTING->OVF->ELECTRONIC LEVEL and make sure that it is ticked.

I have tried it and it does not work. That is, it works for the LCD monitor but not for the optical viewfinder. Could it be a firmware problem?

33-31-33

Interesting,

try going to CAMERA MENU->DISP. CUSTOM SETTING->EVF/LCD->ELECTRONIC LEVEL... and untick the box.

Now, go to CAMERA MENU->DISP. CUSTOM SETTING->OVF->ELECTRONIC LEVEL... and make sure the box is ticked.

Still getting the same?

Cheers

Brian

It's been a while since I've been shooting with the X100 and I've grown comfortable with the way I have setup the camera. I have this nagging suspicion that I might have not set it up to perform at it's best. Some setup decisions are to do with the way one shoots, and some tweaks just make for better pictures in this camera. I'll try and list my setup as methodically as possible, indicating the reasons why, and try and identify the reasons why I set it up the way I did (in the hope that someone who understands this camera way better than I do can set me on the right track if I've gone wrong somewhere).

-------

SHOOTING MENU

ISO - 200 Lowest setting possible
ISO CONTROL - ON
MAX SENSITIVITY - 1600 Till here the noise to me is acceptable, I would like to bump it up to 3200 sometimes
MIN SHUTTER SPEED - 1/125
* One quick way to get to ISO control in the menu is to long press the Fn Button (if it's set to ND filter) and press the jog dial to the left twice, and scroll down to the ISO Auto Control. That is of course if you have set the RAW button for some other function.

IMAGE SIZE - L 3:2

IMAGE QUALITY - Fine + RAW I shoot primarily in B/W hence keep the JPGs at "Fine" losing some card space in the bargain

DYNAMIC RANGE - 100 I'm not sure what this does, or whether it affects only JPGS or RAW as well

FILM SIMULATION - B(G) OR B(Y) This is my default setting and explains the Large JPG files. I shoot only in black and white. Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but while composing the shot I tend to stress on shooting tonal variations, while knowing I have a full color backup in RAW. In post I revisit the decision. Often I end up discarding the RAW in favor of the B/W Jpg produced by the camera. I use B(G) for portraits and B(Y) for everything else. Set to RAW button after firmware upgrade
Couple of websites that taught me to do this -
My tips on the Fuji X100 by Kaushal Parikh | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Fujifilm X100 settings and review | Creative and business resources for photographers - ProPhotoNut

ND FILTER - OFF Set to Fn button on top of camera

WB SHIFT - Default Haven't touched this, have no plans of touching this. Ever. I like the WB output in the X100

COLOR - Mid

SHARPNESS - M-SOFT I sharpen in post if necessary, but this is one of the settings I'm not sure of.

HIGHLIGHT TONE - M-SOFT Not sure what this does, but am assuming it will soften the blown out bits of the image. Like the highlight on the cheek and nose while shooting a portrait.

SHADOW TONE - STD

NOISE REDUCTION - STD

FLASH - (-1/3) OR (-2/3) This combined with Highlight Tone at MID-Soft is what I'm hoping will result in less blown out highlights while shooting in the dark, though I'm not sure of this and haven't tested variations yet. Do share your observations on the same

EXTERNAL FLASH - OFF Don't have an external flash

SELECT CUSTOM SETTING - Have no custom settings

EDIT/SAVE CUSTOM SETTING - Ditto

DISP. CUSTOM SETTING - EVF/LCD I don't trust the camera to focus yet, though I have set the image to display a picture for 1.5 seconds after the shot it taken. I hope to change this because the OVF is quite nice.

WIDE CONVERSION LENS - OFF Has anyone tried the lens? What's it like?

--------

SET-UP MENU

* Skipping over the unimportant stuff

IMAGE DISPLAY - 1.5 SEC It's great being able to pull up a display after taking the picture without taking your eye away from the VF

FRAME NO. - Cont. Is there a way to find out the number of actuations from day one? I've formatted the camera many times and changed the firmware.

* skipping a bunch of stuff again

COLOR SPACE - sRGB This was the camera default, is there any reason to change it?

LONG EXPOSURE NR - ON

SAVE ORG IMAGE - OFF I never edit the RAW files in camera. Assuming that's what it's for

AUTOROTATE PB - OFF I'd rather turn the camera and see pictures in portrait full screen

GUIDANCE DISPLAY - ON NO idea what this does!

CORRECTED AF FRAME - ON

--------

PHYSICAL BUTTONS

Fn BUTTON - ND Filter

RAW BUTTON - FILM SIMULATION

---------

This got to be a bit longer than anticipated! Do cut and paste this and put in your changed settings. Would love to know how you have it setup, and whether I should be doing it differently, both in terms of work-flow and IQ. Thanks!

My settings are pretty straight forward as I just use RAW with my X100. Depending upon what I'm doing where...I often have it on Auto ISO up to 3200, however I've gotten some real keepers at 6400, yet there are times when I just put the ISO on 200 and change it to a faster one only if I need to.

Perhaps someone who uses the jpegs will add in their settings, if they haven't already earlier in the thread?

I realize you've really gone through all the settings, Boid and I'm being a bit lazy by not going and getting my X100 out...however I know there are quite a few on here who are much more "techie" than I who should be able to respond more helpfully.;)

Back