Fuji X100 v. the other X - Leica X2

abl33

Rookie
Hi everyone,
I'm intrigued by the terrific results with the Fuji X100.

I was wondering if anyone has used both the X100 and one of the Leica Xs? Has anyone switched from the Leica to the Fuji and why?

I love the X2 for its simplicity and its image quality, personally. Yes, I know it's overpriced, but that's what used deals are for!

Thanks!

Yes, I've used both the X100 and the X2. To be honest, I can't say that I liked the X2. The image quality is about the same, with a slight edge to the X100 in my opinion. There's no real difference when it comes to build quality. The X100 is a stop faster, and the sensor handles high ISO a bit better. The screen on the X2 is horrible and useless, while the X100 is alright. The X100 has got the superb hybrid viewfinder, while the X2 hasn't got a viewfinder at all. Sure, you can mount a EVF on it, but then the price goes up even further, and it starts looking fugly and inconvenient. (The Leica-branded viewfinder is pretty expensive, but it's actually the Epson-made viewfinder Olympus uses for their PEN-series. You can buy the Olympus one for half the price, and it's identical, and works perfectly on the X2). The Leica is not a bad camera, though. It's just that the X100 does everything better.

I wouldn't even buy the X2 if it was cheaper than the X100. And at twice the price? Hell no...

I have both the X100 and X1.
The two cameras feel different in use and produce different colour sets with the Leica looking cool and the Fuji warm and rich.
The Fuji is nicer to handle but the Leica is much smaller and simplistic in use with slower autofocus.

The biggest difference is the lens quality.The test charts on the Internet fail to demonstrate the ability of the Leica to create images that almost pop off the page.
The Fuji lens is just as sharp but only when stopped down and sharpness varies on the focus distance.Its at it's best at F 5.6 at about 10 feet....macro needs to be at f8 for sharpness to match smaller compacts.
The Leica doesn't do Macro.The lens is sharp at all apertures but better when stopped down a bit and is mounted in a retractable barrel .Some reports of dust have been reported but I've had no problems.

Reports also indicate that x2 isn't quite as sharp as the X1 although both share the same lens.

In truth one is no better than the other but I've never had any "wow" moments when looking at X100 images. There is a smooth quality to the Leica results that you don't pick up from Internet sites.

If I had to pick just one now .....I wouldn't.
I'd go for the Canon G1X because it has stupidly good IQ with unique lenses , reportedly produced as a "proof of concept" design indulgence and is unlikely to be replaced directly.

Thanks for your replies. You both make good points.

I purchased the X2 (used for a good price) because images I saw from the X1 and X2 really appealed to me, and it hasn't disappointed me at all. The images really do pop, and the colors are beautiful. B&W can be stunning. The AF has worked perfectly for me, and I find the lens to be plenty sharp. True, I would rather have the hybrid viewfinder, but I haven't really minded using my Olympus VF-2. And when I want all the bells and whistles, I have the OM-D.

I'm not surprised people like the X100 for all its features. I'm just surprised how few people like the X2. I guess it's the price. And admittedly, I had to save up for some time to get it!

Mytola, btw I enjoyed your series on the Båstnäs bilkyrkogård! I see you like to complement your X100 with the EM-5 too!

Thanks, abl33! I just got back from another trip there not an hour ago, actually. I'll post another series within a couple of days, I hope! :)

The X2 was out of my price range, so it was a choice between the X1 and the X100. Some lens tests convinced me the Leica lens was sharper wide open, especially it had better edge sharpness at f2.8 than the Fuji at the same f stop. At that aperture, I'd probably be shooting a human subject generally in the center. The X1 having no viewfinder except a simple optical add-on was not that big an issue, but it would be now that I've used the Fuji hybrid finder. I've loved using the X100, and the optical viewfinder is a godsend I'd have a hard time giving up. So if I had the money now for an X2 I'd probably save myself a bit and get the X100S instead, the new sensor of which , with no anti alias filter, is supposed to increase resolution considerably.

Back