Fuji X100 will not start with card

Iansky

All-Pro
My X100 has been working fine - I went to use it tonight, turned it on and nothing....tried this a number of times all with the same problem, swapped battery - same problem, swapped the card and all worked fine so continued shooting with alternate card - no issues!

All my cards are Sandisk cards and the one in question was the 16GB Extreme HD Video with 30MB/s.

When I got home I tried the card in my GX1 and it was fine - then tried another 16GB card in the X100 and it works fine.

Tried original card back in X100 - still the same problem so no idea what is going on and would appreciate any ideas before I am tempted to contact Sandisk but as it works fine in GX1 suspect it must be X100 related????

Any ideas?:confused:

Is the X100 able to format the problem card? If not it may be worth first formatting it in the GX1 and then trying formatting it in the X100 (if it recognises it). If it remains unreadable I'm sure Sandisk will replace it.

Did you put the card in an Apple computer or iPad ? If so, you probably should try formatting the card using your GX1 and put it back in the X100, as greyelm suggest.

I had issues with a Sandisk on the M9. It would brick the M9 from time to time. It was one of the Class 10 Extreme ones. I haven't experienced that on the X100 though.

I'd try reformatting the card.

Absolutely agree with the above.
Actually I stil have a G9. It's old and does some weird things sometimes.
The one thing it does well is to format a card.
It has a Low Level Format feature that I do monthly with all my cards.
Then back into the GXR and format.

I did have a similar issue with my X100 on a class 10 Sandisk card.
I never figured it out and trashed the card.
Good luck in your quest.

Are you saying it won't even power up? You turn the switch to the On position and it remains a brick?

Yes Luke,

I turned it on and heard a noise but nothing - only with this card though. I did reformat the card in the GX1 and tried it in the X100 but had the same problem, however, I had a spare card that I had been using in the GX1 that is the same make/size/speed and it works fine in the X100 so can only assume it is an issue with that one card/X100 combo.

I even cleaned the contacts on the card but to no avail but will reformat in the GX1 and try again in the X100.

At no time has the card been in an iPad however I do use a Macbook Pro for my image editing and put the card in the laptop to download.

I have used this card in the X100 since Dec with no issues and even used it in India without problems so unsure as to why it would suddenly develop this quirk?

I have used this card in the X100 since Dec with no issues and even used it in India without problems so unsure as to why it would suddenly develop this quirk?
Sometimes cards fail. Maybe this one is in the early stages of giving up the ghost and Fuji's tend to be more particular about this kind of thing than most cameras. Like the way they have trouble starting after an upload to an iPad and sometimes a Mac (depending on how you upload) because of a file that gets written to the card that the Fuji's don't know what to do with. No other camera does this. So maybe its tripping on a bad sector or something that your other cameras haven't noticed yet???

My guess, and its only a guess, is that if you had an X10 or X-Pro 1, they'd probably be doing the same thing...

-Ray

I am now back at home and have taken the card, formatted it in the GX1 shot an image, checked & deleted & reformatted then put into X100 all seems fine!! reformatted in X100 and all seems fine.

I will not be using it in the X100 but happy to continue using it in the GX1 and now using it as a spare - possible glitch I hope but I will be watching the card carefully and always have a spare with me.

The failure to start problem hit me last week.
It began by failing to start after a night's rest but then it became more frequent.
Having read this thread , my first thought was that it was caused by a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs/sec card.

I then tried 2 batteries and 2 cards including reformatting and resetting the camera but no solution.
Oddly , by removing the battery for a few seconds and then reinserting it would sometimes wake up.
I've turned off the sleep modes and power saving options and for the moment it seems better but I'm annoyed at the shots I've lost at a family wedding while I was messing about with it.

My feeling is that the defect is caused by the Fuji Brand battery not delivering sufficient current to start and not a memory card problem.

Changed my X100 this afternoon for copy number 3 ; if this one goes wrong it's goodbye Fuji.
At the store the salesman noticed that although the camera wouldn't start , the sliding metal leaf in the viewfinder was rising slightly then jamming so having decided that the unit was defective he was happy to replace it.

I did notice that the metal lugs of the new camera seem to be of a different material - presumably to counteract the wear that has been reported elsewhere.

I had the same problem nothing wrong with the camera after I downloaded the pictures from the disc to my iMac I then put the card back into the x100 and it would not switch on. The only solution is to format the card after you have saved the pictures and the camera will be fine.

I had the same problem nothing wrong with the camera after I downloaded the pictures from the disc to my iMac I then put the card back into the x100 and it would not switch on. The only solution is to format the card after you have saved the pictures and the camera will be fine.

Common problem; also happens when transferring to iPad. In my case, the camera will switch on after a minute or so; but that's way too long. So I've adopted your strategy of formatting in the camera after each transfer.

Back