Fuji X100 - X100S Comparison

Frederik has done some pretty good analysis and tracking of some of the 'quirks' of the X100 in the past and seems dedicated to offering useful insights on these cameras. While everyone will have different opinions, I tend to value his.

Frederik has done some pretty good analysis and tracking of some of the 'quirks' of the X100 in the past and seems dedicated to offering useful insights on these cameras. While everyone will have different opinions, I tend to value his.

If it's accurate I am going to be very happy when Adorama ships my camera! :)

I have started a tiny X100S vs. X100 shootout with a few pics today. There's more to come on the next days, of course. Hopefully, I'll have a good grasp of what's new and better for next Fridays's X-PERT CORNER. But why wait, click here and see the early work in progress now if you are interested in this kind of comparison. I was using firmware 1.01.

A few immediate observations:

1. X100S sensor appears to be a little less sensitive than X100 sensor.

2. Fuji has changed the gradation of their film simulation modes in the X100S, notably Provia, which now offers more shadow contrast and is now at the same level as Astia in this respect.

If not noted otherwise, all JPEG SOOC samples were processed in-camera with standard settings for sharpening, NR, color and contrast.

Also, the AF trick seems to work with the X100S, as well:

8541868359_a32c776c30_c.jpg

DSCF0037 - X100S "AF trick" by ricopress, on Flickr

So similar to the sensor on the X-Pro 1/X-E1 and it's 'optimistic' ISO ratings?

Did you measure the difference? My software says 0.08 EV when I compare the Lightroom results. The rest comes from a difference in midtone contrast, the X100S offers more.

You can buy rated, dedicated exposure meters for 800 USD a piece that will guarantee you less precise results with more than 0.1 EV deviation. Fully within specs.

I'm just speaking based on what I've read in reviews. I've haven't done any testing myself with my X-E1 as it really isn't all that important to me - I was just asking out of curiosity.

I'm just speaking based on what I've read in reviews. I've haven't done any testing myself with my X-E1 as it really isn't all that important to me - I was just asking out of curiosity.

Oh sure, this is even in my book, but an overall lower ISO is different from tiny variations between two cameras. As I once wrote, even Fuji Velvia was rated ISO 50, but had to be exposed like ISO 40 to get it right. So theses things really do have kind of a tradition.

The sun came out for a few minutes before it vanished for today, a good time to take a quick snap with the X100S...

8546062188_ea373b2869_c.jpg

DSCF0136 - Lightroom 4.4RC / Aperture by ricopress, on Flickr

If you'd let it, the camera would certainly choose DR200% or DR400% for this shot (it actually couldn't use DR400% at f2 without engaging the ND filter, as its maximum shutter speed is restriced to 1/1000s at f2, and DR400% requires ISO 800 exposure), but as you can see, in situations like this, there's often no need to rescue any highlights. It's actually quite nice to have very bright highlights in this shot.

For reference, here's the SOOC Provia JPEG version with default settings:

8546060064_3bdab7f5b0_c.jpg

DSCF0136 - JPEG SOOC Provia by ricopress, on Flickr

As you can see, I didn't really change that much.

Back